PDA

View Full Version : Blend Shape problem in Maya 5.0

Peter Hon
01-24-2004, 12:33 PM
I've been trying to setup blend shapes for my characters facial animations and encountered this problem.

When I create the blendshape, and start virtual sliding the shapes, my original object translates over to where the shaped object was.

I've tried deleting history, freeze trans, and setting the tab in Create Blend Shapes to Local. But it still does this.

I also did a test with a NURBS sphere, sculpting the target's vertices, and creating the blend shape with the same result.

Can anyone please tell me I'm missing something, cause I can not figure out what's going wrong here (I've created blendshapes before with out this problem ever occuring). :banghead:

Thanks.

-Peter

jadamburke
01-24-2004, 07:41 PM
your problem is you froze your transforms. When you duplicate the original shape to make a blendshape, you'll want to move it away from the original object so you can see what your doing. This is fine but you can NOT freeze the transform. Just leave it.

Freezing the transform tells maya to bake the position of the object into each vertex instead of storing it in the transform node. This of course will make every vertex in your new blendshape like offset from the original object.

modi
01-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Yup, u cannot Freeze transforms, however if u've put a lot of work into it and don't want to redo that shape then select all the vertices of that shape and create a cluster. then snap the cluster to the origin(assuming the main head was on the origin , or at least on the the origin axis) That should move all the verices back to where they were. Then delete history on the object to get rid of the cluster. that should work.Hope that helps.

Peter Hon
01-24-2004, 09:19 PM
I didn't know you're not supposed to freeze trans (been doing it so often with my poly modeling, its almost second nature).

I tried it again, and everything is working fine.

Thanks Modi and jadamburke.

:beer:

-Peter

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.