PDA

View Full Version : Sculpture: Fantasy female and Impish guy

Pixarman
01-24-2004, 03:47 AM
Hey just thought I'd post some of my brother's recent work. He's a freelance sculptor. He was looking for some feedback, and I thought what better place than this board.

The female is inspired in part by the art of Boris and is 8 inches tall. The other little guy is just a wild fantasy creation. He is about 4 inches tall. Both were sculpted out of Pro-sculpt clay.

Anyways here they are:
http://home.insightbb.com/~pixarman/john/nala_01.jpghttp://home.insightbb.com/~pixarman/john/nala_02.jpg

http://home.insightbb.com/~pixarman/john/spree_02.jpghttp://home.insightbb.com/~pixarman/john/spree_01.jpg

Pixarman

lildragon
01-24-2004, 06:13 AM
Let your bro know, he has some amazing talent, they're clean and well presented, a modelers dream reference basically. Just how long did these take, and is this super sculpey?

AS for comments they'll come!

[Plugged]

-lild

l3d_davi
01-24-2004, 06:17 AM
awesome man ! i love traditional sculpture and this is great art work :applause:

opus13
01-24-2004, 06:20 AM
excellent faces! thats the biggest part for me.

as for the pixie/fairy/whatever.. what are the divots on her stomach? she has a 'semi-voluptuous' figure, but there are musculature identations where there would normally be a smooth, if not convex plane.

otherwise, quite nice!

deddy
01-24-2004, 06:20 AM
He's awesome talented man!!!
great work :bounce: :bounce:

Slurry
01-24-2004, 06:27 AM
really great stuff.
i would have to agree with opus13 that the abdomen of the faerie looks too defined - especially on the sides of her stomache.
great weight distribution and proportions.

~S

Pixarman
01-24-2004, 06:33 AM
Hi everyone. This is john here. I am the sculptor of these 2 sculpts. My brother is a big reader of these forums and I check them out as well. I was amazed that I made the main page. That was very unexpected. Thanks alot! I really appreciate it. :)

These two creations are sculpted in Prosculpt clay. Its alot like Super Sculpey only better. Its harder when baked and easier to smooth. I love it.

Regarding the female character. yes her abdomen could have been smoother but I wanted to give her some muscular definition. It was an experiment that I will improve upon the more I practice. I have just made a huge reference book of female pics from mags like Stuff, Maxim, Fhm etc and I have some excellant poses and stuff. They will definately come in handy.

I have a hulk bust thingy I could post as well if anyone wants to see it. Its not finished yet but its getting there. I am also planning a Punisher sculpt. I have a great pose in mind and I think it will be very cool!

Thanks again for the comments and for placing my pic on the main page!

singularity2006
01-24-2004, 06:39 AM
damn, that is one buff chick... :buttrock:

geez, those are amazing! I was about to say, lemme see the wire before I read "sculpture" ... hahaha. Habit. =)

But wow, he has some definitely good control with his clay... amazing..

[msf]
01-24-2004, 06:40 AM
the second guy reminds me of like TROLLZ on Acid its AWESOME. Prosculpt have to try it out.

pelos
01-24-2004, 07:01 AM
i like the creeapy face of the guy,
i thing he is going to jump at you at any moment

the girls face remainme about the troll with a lot of hair with diferents colors

SuperMax
01-24-2004, 07:11 AM
Love the Skin of the Troll

Very realistic.

He looks like one of those Good Luck Trolls.

phoenix
01-24-2004, 07:24 AM
very ;life like ...veery nice

Ac0rN
01-24-2004, 07:30 AM
WoW ! the lady sculpt is awesome :applause: :bowdown:

-JT-
01-24-2004, 07:58 AM
The sculpting is great, but i love the render !!! :D
No i mean i love the "skin" of it.

TheHellmaster
01-24-2004, 08:12 AM
Wow! These models are just amazing! I wanna buy them! :)

Really really good work! Keep it up man! :thumbsup:

TheHellmaster

Riddick
01-24-2004, 08:49 AM
Lovely!:applause: :thumbsup:

Woyman
01-24-2004, 08:49 AM
Wow! These are great, brother of Pixarman! Do you have a shop or a studio in the ville? I'd like to check them out first hand! :)

olijosman
01-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Hooou!! fantastic work :applause:

samartin
01-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Pixarman

These two creations are sculpted in Prosculpt clay. Its alot like Super Sculpey only better. Its harder when baked and easier to smooth. I love it.

Forgive my ignorance here but you can pose these critters anyway possible when baked ???

BTW. Love the impish guy sculpt, kinda freaky cheeky critter. The elvish gal I do think has some issues around the abdomen as you pointed out, but would love to see more sculpts around these boards, very nice work :thumbsup:

ehmdjii
01-24-2004, 11:16 AM
that's some awsome work!

you say he is inspired by Boris?
Boris who? got a link?

lazzhar
01-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Waw, very nice !!

Originally posted by -JT-
The sculpting is great, but i love the render !!! :D
No i mean i love the "skin" of it.

Honestly, when I've seen this, I thought it's a 3d rendering, and wondered what the hell this guy is using as a skin shader !!!

I'm happy it's real ;)

DUCKORABB
01-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Hi!

Nice stuff! Your bro was started at Fifth Annual ProSculpt Scholarship Award Contest? From http://www.artdolls.com? On this site is really great stuff! Check it out! http://www.artdolls.com/images/gallery/fullsize/AleinaPeterson_MyLittleAngel.jpg

http://www.artdolls.com/gallery.html

Any questions...?

Regards

DCKBB

endseason
01-24-2004, 12:19 PM
really nice sculpts-....
as aready peolpe said they are very clean style and perfect reference for modellers or animators:)

can't wait tosee new stuffs from ur bro:)

Dennik
01-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by ehmdjii
that's some awsome work!

you say he is inspired by Boris?
Boris who? got a link?

ehmdjii: Boris Valejo is my guess, and his females are awesome reference.

To brother of Pixarman: Great work man, i would definitely buy those sculptures. You better make a site and start selling online, i'm sure many people from this board would be interested in seeing or buying more of your art. :thumbsup:

cermit
01-24-2004, 12:36 PM
wow...amazing work......you are truly talented artist

Joss
01-24-2004, 01:57 PM
Gotta love the hair! I see so many sculpters sculpting hair. I love the real deal.

Oh, and nice gloss on the fairy's lips!

ProSculpt ya say? Gonna try it.

Well... now that I look on the ProSculpt galleries, I see they're all using real-looking hair. My bad.

Glenfx
01-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Hey, great work.

Heres a sculpture forum with great artists as well, post them in the SHifflet brothers section.
http://theclubhouse1.net/forums/index.php

xasteycracker
01-24-2004, 02:47 PM
sweet man i really like the guy one. that hair is great. i still can't believe that people can do this time of work with just clay or some type of media like that . great work man:thumbsup:

intvSlams
01-24-2004, 02:54 PM
Wow, incredible work, the troll guy freaked me out when I saw him at the top of the page! Both are beautiful.

If anyone hasn't seen Boris Vallejo's stuff, you gotta check it out:

http://fantasy.bratsk.net/

keight
01-24-2004, 03:36 PM
John,

These are great, glad to see they are frontpaged! This stuff has a wonderful translucency that Super Sculpey doesn't. It really is lovely.

Crewler
01-24-2004, 03:56 PM
wow ! absolutly awesome! :thumbsup:

misterboogie
01-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Amazing sculpting talent reflected in your models. Tons of character and beautiful!

I'm going to have to check out this ProSculpt stuff. Isn't it used for making craft dolls?

gigatron
01-24-2004, 04:23 PM
The bottom guy looks like that bastard lying rat tony blair LOL its hularious.

Awesome stuff, i am doing some stuff with sculpy myself.. that's totally inspirational :)

Sicco
01-24-2004, 04:36 PM
Love it !

I agree, that the muscles of the girl are to detailed compared
with the rest. But still love the model.

Cool

:bowdown:

elnady
01-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Nice stuff man:bounce:

Pixarman
01-24-2004, 05:24 PM
Hi again everyone. John here again. Thanks again for all of the kind words. I'm glad you guys like my sculpts. I am always trying to improve and I agree about the abdomen being a bit to defined on the girl. I actually noticed this but failed to blend it in enough before I baked her. Darn, oh well. I feel like the Borg, I assimilated that mistake and wont make it again. :)

Yes, Prosculpt is an amazing clay. In my opinion its alot better than Super Sculpey but it is harder to work with. It gives off a more realistic flesh tone when baked. It smooths with your fingers so there is no need of any smoothing agent such as turpenoid for Super sculpey. I do use a prosculpt dillutent to smooth little details such as the eyes, nose, mouth, fingers etc. You know, little stuff like that. Prosculpt is a bit more expensive though. It is about $16.50 per pound compared to $10.00 for Super Sculpey. In my opinion it is worth it. Prosculpt also gets alot harder than Super sculpey when baked and does not crack hardly at all and it doesnt have those anoying 'half moons' when baked.

Thanks again, I am going to put my Hulk bust wip on later tonight. Later!

Enayla
01-24-2004, 05:26 PM
AMAZING sculptures :D

PixelVampire
01-24-2004, 05:35 PM
Excellent!!! The detail is amazing. The second one looks like Tony Blair :applause:

Matt
01-24-2004, 05:57 PM
I disagree with the Tony Blair comment, but the first model is very interesting.

verbal007
01-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Hey Pixarman, please post the pics of the Hulk and Punisher sculpts. Love to see them. Incredible work ya have there. Also love the fact that you took pictures of the one scupt outdoors. The lighting definately added to it.

- Jeremy

PixelVampire
01-24-2004, 06:05 PM
Maybe he does not look like TOny but it reminds me for some reason. I did not mean in any negative way as both models are exceptional.

Here is Tony anyway- :scream:
http://www.ananova.com/images/web/53583.jpg

Pixarman
01-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Here is my Hulk bust which is still a work in progress. I'm going to add more mass to his shoulders, chest, and waist in order to make him a little bit bulkier.

http://home.insightbb.com/~pixarman-ebay/sculpts/hulk_comp.jpg

By the way I'm going to start a new thread with a Boris Karloff Frankenstein's Monster bust that I did a while back.

John

quid
01-24-2004, 06:30 PM
Just amazing work! :thumbsup: The hulk is looking great. It'd be great to see him with a body too.

DUCKORABB--thanks for the links. You have just got to love the mad hatter (http://www.artdolls.com/images/gallery/madhatter.jpg) check him out.

DragonLore
01-24-2004, 06:40 PM
I think you did a great job.

someone posted a link for a sculpting forum here, it's an excellent forum, I reccomend you visit it.

I was wondering about the hair on the sculptures, what's the name for those materials ?

Btw, excellent job on the hulk.
Great form.

Crewler
01-24-2004, 06:54 PM
wow your work is realy great. how long did you work on a model like this ?

crewler

swarding
01-24-2004, 06:55 PM
now THAT is some cool 3D. Very slick.

l3d_davi
01-24-2004, 09:05 PM
wow !!! simply awesome man :bowdown: :bowdown:

television
01-24-2004, 09:19 PM
Great work John. How did you paint the fleshtones, airbrush? Would you say Prosculpt has a more translucent look than
sculpey?

Yiannis_K
01-24-2004, 09:29 PM
Excellent work. I can see some henson quality to his work.
I have been influenced by his work as many of us i guess.
although apart from some basic lines and overall henson feeling,
i don't see a resemblance to these original and well designed
characters.I would like to see some refinement on the wings
perhaps(i'm not so sure about that though as this gives an extra
organic woodlike feel) I really like the colours and maybe just
maybe the abdomen muscles should be a bit toned down and
the toes of the female a bit more spread.. the troll is absolutely
awesome and hulk looks on a nice path too :)
gogogogo more more more :)

TerrestrialSea
01-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Simply amazing! Lots of excellent talent!

Thats my two cents!

Spozzfreund
01-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Wow! Just perfect! Great! :bowdown: :bowdown:

Pixarman
01-24-2004, 10:24 PM
television - Hi, No airbrush on these characters. I use oil paint to add blushing and to bring out details. I brush it on and blend. When I start getting into some more extreme sculpts I may use an airbrush though. The quality of prosculpt when baked looks so close to skin tone that you only need a subtle amount of blushing.

Yiannis - yes, I wanted the wings to have an organic wood like design.

Crewler - The girl and the little maniac took about 4 days each but I probably spent about 24-30 hours on each if you add up the hours. I need to start working longer days so I can get more sculpts completed. :)

DragonLore - Thanks for the link. I visited it. Awesome site! Thanks!

Thanks again everyone. Glad you dig my sculpts. :)

gigatron
01-24-2004, 11:02 PM
My pants are on fire! or something... ho crap.. lol..

I love hulk.. and that's just phenomenal.. daamn... daaamn you really inspire me :X As I stated in an earlier post I'm working with sculpy right now.. and well.. damn lol this stuff sure inspires me to do more...

What is it you use again? Not sculpy? How do you paint them (I more or less just started using sculpy so... I don't know much)

By the way, do you have any tips? Tools you'd advise? Magnifying glass helps?

I'm currently working on a 2x2x3 (inches) sculpy. Working on a car and the other two are going to be characters.. quite hard to get sharp edges and all that precisly.. quite a challenge working small lol..

Dennik
01-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Maybe it would be good for CG talk if we start a forum about sculptures and techniques in sculpting. I'm sure there are other forums for that thing over the internet, but i don't think it would hurt. The real thing is so much inspirational. I'm sure there are many cg modelers out there that would love to get motivated into scuplting their models in another medium rather than a computer.

gigatron
01-25-2004, 12:42 AM
That'd be awesome :D Fear, inovation, jealousy, encouragment, inspiration lol a few keywords that come to mind :) That would be a great addition methinks.

Edit:

I started working on my sculpy right now.. again :) Working on the car one.

I realized that using toothpicks is so useful.. especially well on this small scale but regardless its like THE TOOL. I got two backup toothpicks :D

Seriously now I feel all eager if there was such a thing as another section to this already kick ass site

speedhorse
01-25-2004, 01:32 AM
Very exquisite model !!!

:thumbsup:

oxyg3n
01-25-2004, 03:29 AM
I lopve the guy with the crazy black hair!

ddjix
01-25-2004, 03:49 AM
DAMNNNNN !!!! Great work man !

peanut
01-25-2004, 05:25 AM
very similar to modeling after all

gigatron
01-25-2004, 05:31 AM
How big is the hulk in inches? widthXheightXdepth

Tolerate
01-25-2004, 08:49 AM
That Troll thing is definately Tony Blair hehe

Kel Solaar
01-25-2004, 10:20 AM
Excellent! She is beautifull and the troll has a very funny face :)

SpaceTik
01-25-2004, 10:26 AM
I have to say these are great models, makes you want to own 1!!!

Been thinking of getting back into modelling/sculptiong for a long while and this is just the motivation I needed.. i havent modelled anything since 6 grade but I was very much into it at the time.

thanks for posting. By he way where do you buy this Prosculpt stuff? I'm in Sydney Australia. Just any craft shops?

Raul-Reznek
01-25-2004, 10:36 AM
if you want the groopie fan comment i'd have to say WOW!!REALLY COOL!

if u want the more serious comments:

the elf girl - the neck muscles(sternocleido...) are too proheminent, and are slightly delimitating the head from the rest of the body, i think the head should be moved a bid, not that he can now :D, can he?

the leg muscles seem a little bit too large.

the second one is really cute, i really like the shot with your had in it :D

congrats to your brother

didn't haev time to read the other posts, sorry.

stipen
01-25-2004, 12:36 PM
This is just AWESOME !!!

I'd love to be able to hold my own creations in my hand, for reel !!!

excellent job !!:thumbsup:

alexyork
01-25-2004, 12:38 PM
these are damn cool! remind me of those Trolls toys that you used to buy from toy shops and get in cereal packets. very nice work ;]

PC. nice to see some more sculpture coming into this forum.

st3dcenter
01-25-2004, 06:17 PM
its really good work:applause:

Lorenzo
01-25-2004, 09:00 PM
super cool, I love them, please post more of those cute models.:beer: :applause: :bowdown:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.