PDA

View Full Version : enlarging+++

name
01-24-2004, 12:41 AM
I need to enlarge some small photos I have to 8x10...I realize this isn't gonna work out very well but my mom needs some 8x10s for a work project...these are photos of sunsets and stuff like that...i never take small images and try to blow them up because it looks like crap but she needs these soon so this is the only thing I can think to do.The only thing I can do to them to make any sort of improvement at all is to blur them in someway...or dust and scratches filter...which basically blurs also...so the images don't look so pixelated...basically I was just curious if any of you knew any tricks or had any tips that might help me out...obviously I'm not expecting a crystal clear photo...just a little less crappy.:) thx

bumskee
01-24-2004, 03:23 AM
so you have this small pic on a file?? I guess you can try scanning it again.

what I usually do in such situation, no matter what you do if you blow it up too much it's gonna look crap. there's no doubt about that, so how about painting it? blow it up and paint over it. or smudge it manually so it's rather clean than pixelated. the thing with blurring is you also lose the outlines or shape definitions, but if you paint it or smudge it manually, you can control where things go. I guess it's a lot more hard work.

hope that helps.

halo
01-24-2004, 11:47 AM
if its a soft subject like clouds etc then it may just blow up anyway...unless you have something sharp in it you may not see the pixels...give it a go.

L0sTPr0fEt
01-25-2004, 03:26 AM
it depends on the starting size. most times the enlargements will suck, and you might have to actually edit the photos yourself to make them look a little better. also, try imageready. if memory serves me correctly, imageready will do better enlargements and it has a better file compression.

if all else fails go to kinkos

cheers,
LP

halo
01-25-2004, 11:14 AM
? imageready is the same engine as PS, and what has file compression got to do with enlargement?

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.