PDA

View Full Version : How do you know how many time to subdivide?

3DKnight
01-23-2004, 06:28 PM
one thing that is buggin me is that i'm not sure on how many divisions to put in geometry for good texturing..

for example for a long pole. If i don't want a texture to be streched along the face of it, would i need 2 divisions along the length for more triangles, or would just one face, with 2 long triangles (when tirangulated), be good enough?

any solid reply to this?

for example if i put a tiling texture on a 1x1x1 tri-striped square.. the texure should be fine... but if i scaled the square along the x axis so it is now 10x1x1, how many divisions should i make along the x axis to keep the texture from distorting out?

I'm not doing much texturing right now, but i am making game models (buildings) for texturers to work on... but i'm not sure of the rules on this problem.

heres an image:

http://www.tarnished-dagger.com/Savage/WTower.jpg

The Poles only have 1 face.. so thats one long "\" down the length, yet the platform planks have 2 divisions down the length. How many divisions should the support poles have so a standard game tile texture won't warp... does it depend on the size of the texure?

Sorry if im sounding stupid :p

baaah888
01-24-2004, 03:02 AM
Well if your gonna be repeating the texture, Im asuming the texture is tileable.

then 1 division is fine just

in max all you have to do is apply a UvMap to the poly/polys your texturing, align it, then make the texture repeat 10 times up the length of the wood.

there is not actual need for adding more geometry.

however if the texture is not tileable or is part of a larger texture sheet then you may need the 10 or so geometrical divides, then you would use Uvw unwrap and place each of the 10 sections over the part of the texture you need.

hopefully thats right. Im still learning about environmental texturing, but thats what i'd do at the moment.

If im wrong Hopefully someone else can answer as it'll help me as well.

Lekku
02-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Baaah888 is right. You can scale/repeat a texture without cutting the polys.

An exception is if you are mirroring a texture (say, in a character model, or anything symmetrical) in games. Then, you might want to split the geometry in the middle, so you only have to create half of the texture, then mirror it.

In games, Geometry is cheaper than Texture.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.