PDA

View Full Version : Problem: Colors in Photoshop not accurate?

foreverendering
01-23-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi, I'm posting this to help a friend of mine. Firstly the machine in question is running XP Pro & Photoshop7.

My friend just got her new computer but in photoshop when she opens an image file, the colors of the image look different than they do when the image is viewed outside of photoshop. It's as if the entire hue of the image is askew..

We tried going to Edit -> Color settings but her settings appear to be the same as those on my computer and my photoshop is fine.. Granted neither of us really knew what we were doing in there. Not really sure where else to dig around to try to fix the problem.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions on how we can fix this please let me know.

Thanks in advance..

CLONEOPS
01-23-2004, 03:50 PM
no two monitor outputs/radiation/colors/hue
are the same...as in make and model...pretty close
but not exact.
i had the same problem ..put it up on the screen and print it
out and it looks different...
put it on someone elses screen and it looks different..
thats is why there is those calibration software and
color profiles..in photoshop as far as i can figure out anyway
i am no expert here....
but it looks like you have to do 3 things
calibrate you monitor
calibrate your gamma too
use a standardized ps7 output profile-read photo hep file
calibrate and match printer output....
its a start anyway!
oh yes if the monitor is not warmed upduring caslibration and the surrounding room light is bright /dark things Will definately look
different......
hope some of this helps

halo
01-23-2004, 03:50 PM
have you gone through the calibration steps when you started it first time?

halo
01-23-2004, 03:53 PM
http://computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm

found that at http://cglinks.com/

foreverendering
01-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the replies and links.

I don't think it has anything to do with the monitor settings because the picture looks one way in IE or Windows Explorer but very different in Photoshop..

Also, she said she did not go through the calibration settings when she first installed PS. Should she uninstall & reinstall?

halo
01-23-2004, 07:39 PM
photoshop uses profiles and colour space settings to display images inside PS, which may make them look different in other applications, but if you have a calibrated monitor, assign the correct working spaces you will have calibrated images to a certain degree.

You should at least run through adobe gamma calibration to generate a monitor profile, pick and RGB device independant space, like sRGB (common for the web and others), adobe RGB, apple RGB, or colourmatchRGB (not common). Pick one that matches your expected RGB look of the file (you need to judge this) but only pick from those 4, dont pick your monitorRGB.

Then pick a cymk profile that matches your output.

dg
01-24-2004, 11:39 AM
If you set Adobe Gamma Loader what you might see in PS isn't what you really get in the web output, to preview it correctly use adobe PS Proof Colors (ctrl+Y), by going to View > Proof Setup > Monitor RGB.
This way your jpegs will look the same in PS and outside PS.

Hope this helps.

See ya!
dg

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.