PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Advice

Showster
01-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Hiya I'm working on a pretty open low poly outdoor environment atm in 3ds max5. I'd be very grateful if anyone could advise me in a good method to light the scene, atm its just a skylight with lightracer nothing funky. But if theres any specific tutorial or past thread which I've missed it would be a grate help if someone could link me!

Many Thanks

Greg

I am also starting to use maya 5 and mental ray so tackling this problem with another program would be also of interest :applause:

lazzhar
01-23-2004, 12:26 PM
I think it depands on your goal, time of shootand the mood you're after.

Using Skylight would help to get ambient lighting, but you need one key light to define the main source of lighting, then start adding extra fill lights.
I've never found a tutorial like what you're looking for, but I'd appreciate if someone could share its knowledge in lighting an envirement.

Good luck.

Andrew W
01-23-2004, 05:29 PM
First of place your key light (the sun). This will determine what time of day etc. Choose an appropriate colour for this light. Reddish at dawn/dusk, towards pale yellow, even almost greenish in the middle of the day.

Once you've done that you can tint the shadows to complement the sub, so usually a bluish colour.

Now add any fill lights you think you need. You can always use some sort of GI to do your fill, albeit at the expense of speed.

Hope that helps

Andrew

lazzhar
01-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Andrew W

Once you've done that you can tint the shadows to complement the sub, so usually a bluish colour.

Do you mean tinting the shadows from the Shadow Color Parameter or using a bluish fill lights?
I've read many articles saying that using a non-black shadows would give a no reallistic lighting-it's in Jeremy book too-

But these days I'm watching Toy Story 2 a lot on DVD and I'm freezing the video to study lighting. I notice that the shadows under the bright sun is too bluish where I cannot not beleive they are only tinted by the fill lights.

Any idea?

Andrew W
01-27-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by lazzhar
Do you mean tinting the shadows from the Shadow Color Parameter or using a bluish fill lights?
I've read many articles saying that using a non-black shadows would give a no reallistic lighting-it's in Jeremy book too-

But these days I'm watching Toy Story 2 a lot on DVD and I'm freezing the video to study lighting. I notice that the shadows under the bright sun is too bluish where I cannot not beleive they are only tinted by the fill lights.

Any idea?

I mean actually tinting the shadow colour itself. You're right, it isn't technically correct, but it is often used as a quicker way of achieving the effect without having to wrangle extra lights, which of course slows down your render. Every light you add makes your render go slower.

The issue is "realistic lighting". Toy Story is not realistically lit, no Pixar movie has realistic lighting. There's all sorts of rim lights with no motivation etc. etc in all their movies but that's fine because they look beautiful. It's an aesthetic choice really. Do whatever makes the image look its best.

If we're being really picky, you shoudn't blur your depth map shadow to make it soft, that's "technically wrong" but we all do it, because it's an efficient solution to a problem.

A

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.