PDA

View Full Version : Shrek 3 & Shark Tale 2 Already in the Works


Edge
01-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Eventhough Shrek 2 and Shark Tale are not even released in cinemas, DreamWorks confirmed the rumours about the sequels.

DreamWorks

Animated films require more advance planning than regular feature films because of the painstaking process of bringing characters to life.

Icarus
01-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Have a URL?

Shrek 3?, i thought #2 was still in production?

Tex3D
01-23-2004, 01:57 PM
WTF???!! :eek:

It's a bit presumptuos to assume that Shrek 2 and SharkTale are going to be profitable enough to even merit a sequel!!

IMHO the characters from SharkTale or Sharkslayer or whatever its being called this week don't have enough charm to be interested in. Some of the renders that have been released look almost frightening:hmm:

Oh well..I've been wrong before..we shall see.

-Dave

mattregnier
01-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Edge
Animated films require more advance planning than regular feature films because of the painstaking process of bringing characters to life.
DreamWorks

i don't know where your source is, but that's a pretty general statement, so you may want to post the link you found it at. Your quote is just general knowledge about any cg...

MaDSheeP
01-23-2004, 02:49 PM
a lot of production studios do this, final fantasy 2 was in the works while the first one was tanking...

it just takes so long to put these out, they waste no time

Edge
01-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by mattregnier
i don't know where your source is, but that's a pretty general statement, so you may want to post the link you found it at. Your quote is just general knowledge about any cg...
My apologies... Link (http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=upsell_article&articleID=VR1117898946&categoryID=13&cs=1)
They're not my words, I just found some info and decided to share... ;)
Or another link (http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=3133)

chadtheartist
01-23-2004, 04:30 PM
They must have created a Make Shrek button. Now all they have to do is enter certain variables, like a fairy tale story, Villain, Smashmouth music, etc... push a button, and out comes Shrek 3.

:D

beaker
01-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Tex3D
IMHO the characters from SharkTale or Sharkslayer or whatever its being called this week don't have enough charm to be interested in. Some of the renders that have been released look almost frightening:hmm:

Have you even seen them animated or talk? How could stills possibly tell that they're not charming enough to be interesting?

Tex3D
01-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Cuz they are flat out ugly!

I'm already disinterested just by looking at them so I doubt that adding some celeb's voice is going to make it better. Who knows..I may be wrong, but just by looking at the ugly renders, I'm not a bit impressed:hmm:

IMHO of course:D

-Dave

FClub_TDurden
01-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Well rendering wise....how can you tell a character isnt charming.....thats strange...

plus there is no environment or mood to them...they are flat publicity stills thats all....no lighitng....no depth....and with little expression....

i remember when the first publicity stills of IceAge came out and they got tore to shreads by people saying how bland they were...specially the enviornments....but then the movie comes out ....and now people change there mind when there is dialog...animation and lighitng....

they are meant for marketing and general public to give them idea what they are going to look like...wait till you see the trailer or movie to make judgement calls on there character....

Onsloh
01-24-2004, 12:38 AM
To me great news mates.You just know they will rock.Thanks for the tip.:beer:

FloydBishop
01-24-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by FClub_TDurden
Well rendering wise....how can you tell a character isnt charming.....thats strange...

I think he's responding more to the character design. I tend to agree that the character design itself is not really doing it for me, but who knows how cool these guys look in motion? I'm looking forward to the Rastafarian Jelly Fish. Hopefully they'll have more than a bit part.


plus there is no environment or mood to them...they are flat publicity stills thats all....no lighitng....no depth....and with little expression....

That's true. It's really hard to get a feel for the film with little or nothing to go by but the publicity stills of the characters.


i remember when the first publicity stills of IceAge came out and they got tore to shreads by people saying how bland they were...specially the enviornments....but then the movie comes out ....and now people change there mind when there is dialog...animation and lighitng....


Yeah, those first stills were Ass-tacular. Most of the early early stuff that got out was from a slapped together brochure that Fox made for the Toy Fare. That just proves that ALL of the images that MAY see the light of day need to be as polished as possible. You never know what Harry Knowles may post a link to.



they are meant for marketing and general public to give them idea what they are going to look like...wait till you see the trailer or movie to make judgement calls on there character....

I had hoped to see a trailer for Shark Tale by now. Any idea as to when this might happen? Maybe there are plans for the Super Bowl or something like that?

BoydLake
01-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Tex3D
WTF???!! :eek:

It's a bit presumptuos to assume that Shrek 2 and SharkTale are going to be profitable enough to even merit a sequel!!

IMHO the characters from SharkTale or Sharkslayer or whatever its being called this week don't have enough charm to be interested in. Some of the renders that have been released look almost frightening:hmm:

Oh well..I've been wrong before..we shall see.

-Dave

I suppose it seems risky or presumptuous to be planning Shrek 3 and Sharkslayer 2, but preproduction is dirt cheap compared to production. I'd say Katzenberg and Spielberg are as good as there is at knowing how audiences will respond and when they have something good going. This is more so the case in Shrek, that Sharkslayer, since audiences have already responded well to Shrek's characters. I'm anxious to see a trailer for Sharkslayer though. I am also curious at how those characters read when they are animated.

MCronin
01-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Floyd Bishop
I had hoped to see a trailer for Shark Tale by now. Any idea as to when this might happen? Maybe there are plans for the Super Bowl or something like that?

Highly doubtful. If anything there'll be a Shrek trailer. The first time we see a Shark Tale Trailer will probably be on the front end of Shrek 2.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.