PDA

View Full Version : 3d/2d compositing in AE question

anieves
06-25-2002, 07:32 PM
Alright let's see if I can explain my question properly.

I will be creating a 3d animation of a character who is going to be pulling cards from his back and put them in fron of his camera; similar to Willie E. Coyote when he is falling down a cliff... you get the general idea.

The thing is that I want to exchange the cards every month without re-rendering the 3d animation from scratch. I know this can be done in AE but don't know for certain how to create the 2d cards so they match the 3d card done in the 3d app.

Any suggestions? thoughts? comments?

Mauritius
06-26-2002, 02:29 AM
In Maya you can use a sudden naming scheme on the objects in question (don't remeber what it was).
Then you can import the .ma file into AE and the those objects will show up as layers with the original tranformations from the .ma file applied as will the camera.

I remember that somewhere on the Adobe site, there is an excellent QuickTime tutorial on this.

.mm

anieves
06-26-2002, 12:31 PM
hummm, I don't have maya... well, I just have the PLE version and haven't done a thing with it because the incredibly annoying watermark! Man that is so distracting. I still don't know how they just left it inrenders, but nooo, they had to put it in every freaking viewport!!!! bah!

Anyway I am using Lightwave 7.5
I wish there is a solution for this.
Any other thoughts???

ilasolomon
06-30-2002, 11:14 PM
make all the scenes's objects BLACK MATTED but the cards
then render with the numbers on cards...u have some
rendered 'black+numbered card' footages now you could simply
composite with original footages that you rendered with white /empty cards.

ilasolomon
06-30-2002, 11:18 PM
aha, a tip...just hide all meshes except those which mask the
card/cards...for speeding up the rendering.

Mauritius
07-01-2002, 12:09 AM
Read the post before responding.

The OP said what he not wanted was to re-render the footage every time.

Besides, AE does a much better job on filtering than Maya's crappy renderer plus it's faster and more flexible.

.mm

ilasolomon
07-01-2002, 12:50 AM
HUH!
i read it & I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.
he need only render the scene once & then the card ONLY.
how with AE he could get the numbers in card in proper
perspective?!?!?!?
& second...do you know what doesAE mean? it's not a 3D APP
& isn't compareable to MAYA RENDERER...got it?
also he uses LW not MAYA...
i think it's you that MUST read the post carefully.
sorry

Mauritius
07-01-2002, 12:59 AM
Maybe you should consult the AE documentation and get your facts straight before you start talking.

AE 5.x knows 3D layers and cameras. Maya ascii files can be directly read into AE and objects adhering to a special naming scheme show up as 3D layers with their transformations (including baked animation data) applied to them. The active render camera from Maya is also converted.

Regarding your second yelling: AE is a 3D app too from a sudden pov and it does have a specialized renderer which happens to do better 'texture' filtering than Maya's.

Being a TD specializing in rendering, I know the "limitations" of Maya's renderer pretty well.

.mm

ilasolomon
07-01-2002, 01:08 AM
he uses LW u see...what's the solution for him?...that was
the question, i answer that.
sorry for being wired for a while :beer:

anieves
07-10-2002, 12:56 PM
Hey guys, no need to get to each other throats...

There is an LScript for LW that will convert camera data to After Effects camera data. In theory I should be able to tackle that job with this tool.

I haven't tried yet but sounds like a good solution.

Also the suggestion of just rendering the cards came to mind before I posted the question and might actually end up doing just that; will see which solution turns out to be the best.

The only reason I wanted to do that in AE is that I am a freelancer working on site. The company doesn't have the budget to get a liscence of LW just for that one job, but since I use LW at home the company might let me work from home a couple of days of the month and get it done that way, after all is in their best interest 8-)

I will let everyone know what I ended up doing as soon as I can.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.