PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish performance in Photoshop

julnyapp
01-23-2004, 05:29 AM
Hi there,

I'm facing a problem every time i start Photoshop 7. It tells me that i currently have PS primary Scratch & Window's primary paging file on the same volume & tells me that i should set PS primary scratch volume on a different volume.
(I guess this always appears everytime you first install and start PS for the first time).

When i'm in PS, by default, i should be in the select mode 'v' but instead photoshop seemed to be continously loading - i'm having a hourglass icon on screen & at the bottom of the screen is showing 'Importing Clipboard'. This goes on & on & on until i quit PS making PS very slow.

I tried changing the scratch disk : Edit > Preferences > Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks. Under Scratch Disk, i changed the First: startup & Second: C:\ I quit & restarted PS & i'm still facing the same problem.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Am i not doing setting the preferences / settings right? I tried uninstalling & reinstalling photoshop but i'm still facing the same problem.

I would appreciate if anyone could help me on this.

cheers

julian

bumskee
01-23-2004, 07:24 AM
what com u got?? just curious.
sratch disk as I know (correct me if I am wrong) works much like windows, it uses the hard dick space as temporary RAM. How I have mine is I have a separate space for photoshop only. E: drive for instance, about 3gigs, I think 3gigs is plenty I did have it on 2 gigs but I had an error with not enough disk space before. BUt on 3 gigs not once yet. worked on quite large files but it was ok.

so doing that should improve PS performance, but I think your problem might just lie somewhere else. Did you have photoshop before 7? have u installed other plug ins?? filters? and so on? if so try running 7 without any of those. also I once had some shocking experience with illustrator and photoshop on my old machine. I was advised to disable Norton before installing, not sure why. So if none of these seems to do anything try clean fresh install.

hope you find your answer

good luck

julnyapp
01-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Hi bumskee,

I'm running photoshop on my notebook & i'm using the only hardisk C:\ that is on my notebook. No, i did not install any plugins or filters after installing PS7.

I've been using PS7 all along on my notebook before & i've never faced this problem the last time. The problem came when i recently reformatted my com ( due to a damaged hard disk).

I'll try to disable Norton Anti-virus & do a clean install of photoshop again and see if it works.

Fingers cross!! Hope it works.

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.