PDA

View Full Version : Blur Studio's Rockfish preview clip

fufanu
01-23-2004, 05:03 AM
I happen to notice on Blur's website (www.blur.com) a short clip from their new animated short, for anyone interested.

EDIT by MOD: Only the Small quicktime link works at the moment

RockinAkin
01-23-2004, 05:13 AM
Wow, that was pretty sweet.
Cant wait to see the final product!

Blur :buttrock:

SheepFactory
01-23-2004, 05:54 AM
looks awesome! I cant wait to see the full thing.

Plugged it on the front page.

olijosman
01-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Hooo... I need more! :thumbsup:

laker
01-23-2004, 08:34 AM
LoL the website is being HAMMERED good luck seeing this.

MCronin
01-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Hmmm, call me unimpressed. It's looking like a video game cinematic so far...

Like to see the whole thing, but it's hard to expect much based on this clip.

jonaz.dk
01-23-2004, 09:01 AM
strangly the main character resembels Tim Miller... how did that happen?! :shrug: ;)

but really nice stuff.. especially the scenery.. neato..

PauHana
01-23-2004, 09:12 AM
They originally posted the whole short, but I guess they took it down because they're still showing it. I have it somewhere on my hard drive, but I don't think they'd be too happy if some of us that got it early pass it along.
Very impressive work to say the least!

Hey Sheep Factory,
You live in S.F. ? Whereabouts are you working and stuff?

Cararan
01-23-2004, 09:31 AM
I seen this about a week ago. Still waiting for the larger .avi version. Pretty Cool animation there.

phoenix
01-23-2004, 11:20 AM
very impressive

rickramos
01-23-2004, 02:58 PM
Good job. Cool animation, cool design. Quality "blur"!!!!!

LordDubu
01-23-2004, 04:00 PM
slowest.site.ever

CarlosA
01-23-2004, 06:10 PM
I was lucky enough to get a tour of blur studios about 2 months ago. and Tim Miller showed us the hole thing in a high depth plasma screen. I must say it was f***** amazing.
just wait till you guys actually see the rock fish, it's freaking amazing. plus all the insane rocky brazil environments are unbelievable.
I will be very disappointed if this piece is not nominated, or earns at least a honorable mention.
seems like Tim and his team at blur put allot of energy and dedication on to this one.
it might be just me, but doesn't the main character look just like Tim Miller??
Cheers,
Los

maydream
01-23-2004, 07:07 PM
:bounce: Wow~~~!I don't want to wait to see the final thing!

puch
01-23-2004, 07:09 PM
It's funny (or I should say sad) how this short got in the long list for oscar consideration and Final flight of Osiris didn't!

You can find the list here:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/awards/oscars/feature_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2065919

Tim Miller
01-23-2004, 07:52 PM
Flight of the Osiris didn't make it in because there was a screw up on there submission....Somebody sent the wrong piece of film and by the time they got the RIGHT one there the deadline had passed.....at least that's what I heard. BUT.....Personally I feel that as cool as Flight of the Osiris, Gone Nutty and Mikes New Car are they stand on the shoulders (story-wise, characters and production design) of the feature films they were made with/from/for....not quite fair I think to run them with a 90minute "backstory" already in the minds of most viewers. A short should stand on it's own merit (in the case of the Oscar categories). Just my 2 cents....

And just for the record the Character of Sirus does NOT look like me...other than the fact that he has a certain thuggish quality and his head is shaved....and that "design" element was done purely so that we didn't have to deal with hair renders. :)

For those of you that said kind words about the short--thanks. We're going to put the whole piece on the website after the Oscars....regardless of what happens.

In my opinion though (having seen all the shorts) as proud as I am of Rockfish--and that pride comes from getting a chance to work alongside some really amazing animators here and seeing them do INCREDIBLE work under insane conditions--I think the best film is "Harvey Krumpet" the stop motion film from AU. Very funny and well done. We'll be happy just to get nominated.

Tim Miller
blur

Beastie
01-23-2004, 08:01 PM
............thats it? Whoop de do! Guess I need to see the whole thing.

AnimBot
01-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by puch
It's funny (or I should say sad) how this short got in the long list for oscar consideration and Final flight of Osiris didn't!

You can find the list here:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/awards/oscars/feature_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2065919

That's becuase it sucked.

CarlosA
01-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by AnimBot
or maybe it just didn't get submited for consideration.

Beastie
01-23-2004, 08:23 PM
Yea Animbot does pieces like Osiris for fun when hes not doing stuff that "doesnt suck".

KolbyJukes
01-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by AnimBot

I don't want to lead this thread off topic, but what the hell sucked about Final Flight of Osiris...I mean, if you're judging it on the mocap floatiness or crashing - fair enough...but I don't think thats enough to discount this film as crap.

IMO Final Flight of the Osiris is one of the best shorts (at least visually) ever. The story holds up very well, and provides a nice segway to Matrix 2.

-Kol.

LordDubu
01-23-2004, 08:37 PM
I can't really make a judgement on this Rockfish yet, because I've only gotten as far as the guy jumping down from the truck. But I can say I already don't like the walk cycle.

OK finished the download. Not much here to see. Not judgeable.

AJE
01-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Well, I think it looks great, and the music is EXCELLENT.

There's not enough here to base any judgements on, but it looks to me like it has a lot of potential.

I want to see more, and that's always a good sign.

Did I mention the music was awesome?

FClub_TDurden
01-23-2004, 09:56 PM
I see little potential here....its like a nother game cinematic....some dude who looks bland ....sets look like any game cinematic....

how bout something out of the mold and more original like there last short

AJE
01-23-2004, 10:34 PM
FYI, if game cinematics were cut together, and told the whole story themselves(instead of leaving 20% to gameplay portions), they'd be short films.

The gap is very close.

DoLeeP
01-24-2004, 12:09 AM
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

LordDubu
01-24-2004, 12:15 AM
At the risk of sounding like a negative mr. negative, can I also say for 10 billionth time, call a clip a clip!! This is NOT a trailer.

Thanks.

JA-forreal
01-24-2004, 12:16 AM
I prefer dramatic and more mature adult styled plot topics and presentations for 3d animations like we saw in the Final flight of Osiris. All of that jumping, jerking and bouncing Disney like character motion stuff isn't for me.

LordDubu
01-24-2004, 12:27 AM
Preferences are one thing, and everyone has and is entitled to them. But to suggest that something isn't worthy of respect because it doesn't adhere to your particular preference doesn't show much capacity for objective critique.

JA-forreal
01-24-2004, 01:27 AM
Oh a critique. I thought that this was just another bit of 3d news. Well, there is not much to critique in a professional 3d media presentation other than likes or dislikes or on storyline, etc.

Technically 3d speaking, the production looks good if that's what you’re talking about. But it's still not my taste in 3d animation style.

igorstshirts
01-24-2004, 01:49 AM
This is looking nice Tim!!!! Can't wait to see the whole thing!

FloydBishop
01-24-2004, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Tim Miller
BUT.....Personally I feel that as cool as Flight of the Osiris, Gone Nutty and Mikes New Car are they stand on the shoulders (story-wise, characters and production design) of the feature films they were made with/from/for....not quite fair I think to run them with a 90minute "backstory" already in the minds of most viewers. A short should stand on it's own merit (in the case of the Oscar categories). Just my 2 cents....

I totally agree with you!!

I had lunch today with Dave Vallone and Jason Taylor (thanks for the Baja Fresh, Blur) and got a chance to see "RockFish" in it's entirety. Very nice stuff.

Also, I didn't get a chance to meet you (the Baja Fresh was a bit late, and I had to get past the airport on the 405 before the traffic got bad), so I can't comment on whether or not you look like the main character, but I liked his design. He looked like a hard worker. He felt like the kind of guy who would do that kind of work for a living.

I also really liked the way the equipment all worked. Very cool.

Good luck with the Oscar. You're definitely in good company, right where Blur belongs. It looks to be a huge year for your studio. Nice stuff!

roarty
01-24-2004, 05:12 AM
shania is soo hot

Jonnyp
01-24-2004, 05:37 AM
Great overall look! I do love blur studios!

Though I thought the animation from when the main character steps out of the rock vehicle - to when he hits the ground (especially when he lands) wasn't as impressive as they could've made it with some tweaks.

Can't wait to see the whole thing!

robioto
01-25-2004, 02:21 AM
Mr. Miller,

I'm curious how many different 3d applications were used to make the short. I'm familiar with Blur's commitment to 3ds max, but has that been practical in implimentation or have more applications been brought into the development process?

Tim Miller
01-25-2004, 03:35 AM
Rockfish was done completely in 3dsmax...we use Brazil to render, Digital Fusion for compositing, photoshop for textures, framecycler, premiere...etc. No other 3d software though....but lots of in-house script-based tools.

Not that I feel the need to defend the piece (why bother) but we DID do it under a really insane schedule and with a small team. Blur is still a relatively small studio (75 people, 60 3d artists) and we don't have a "sugar daddy" or anything...so it was done in between and around other projects and completely self funded. 9 minutes on film with a small team in less than 4 months is pretty good I think. Sure, there's definitely room for improvement in the piece--but rest assured that if something doesn't look as good as it COULD that WE see it.....and if it wasn't fixed it was lack of TIME and not lack of TALENT on the part of the animators that worked on it. In my more than 15 years of production experience I can honestly say I've never worked with a better crew....or one that could have done NEARLY this well under the time constraints on this project. They kicked MAJOR ass to get the film done and we just squeaked in under the deadline. I don't think I've ever been more proud of our studio and we're looking forward to next years short.

Dragonbreath
01-25-2004, 05:36 AM
I like everything so far except for 1 spot on the clip/trailer/whatever....

When he lands, he doesn't disperse the dirt enough to make it look like he has weight. (He's got great action in his legs however). Then the few steps he takes from that point on also seem weightless. His upper body moves like he's got a heavy suit on, but his steps float - not disturbing the ground.
That is my only criticism. I enjoyed what I saw. Good Luck!

Jed
01-25-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by robioto

I'm curious how many different 3d applications were used to make the short. I'm familiar with Blur's commitment to 3ds max, but has that been practical in implimentation or have more applications been brought into the development process?

3ds Max was the only software we used, but we rendered everything with Brazil, and made extensive of its uber cool features like the skylight and the skin shader.

Originally posted by FClub_TDurden

I see little potential here....its like a nother game cinematic....some dude who looks bland ....sets look like any game cinematic....

It might look like a game cinematic on the tiny MPEG that's on our website, but note that everything was rendered at film res and is intended to be seen on the big screen.

how bout something out of the mold and more original like there last short
Wait till you've seen the whole thing before judging it, there's stuff blowing up all over the place, just like we like it :) After seeing all the other entries on the shortlist, I can tell you that Rockfish doesn't ressemble any of the other shorts. We'll see if that plays in our favor or not.

....some dude who looks bland ....

... well that's just the way Tim Miller looks :shrug:

DaveWilson
01-25-2004, 07:04 AM
Get back to work Jed.

JA-forreal
01-25-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Jed
3ds Max was the only software we used, but we rendered everything with Brazil, and made extensive of its uber cool features like the skylight and the skin shader.

I was wondering what kind of software was used for this project. Brazil is a nice rendering package. What were you rendering times like per frame on your farm, etc? I know that Brazil is a pretty fast ray tracer but I imagine it can't beat Max's scanline. I haven't been keeping up with Brazil technology lately. The textures, render resolution and quality of Rockfish are excellent BTW. I like the overall atmosphere of the animation environment.

Chris Thomas
01-26-2004, 11:47 AM
What i've seen looks good so far, looking forward to seeing the whole peice though, Looks like a lot of work...

Chris Thomas

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.