PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR:STAR WARS - the television series?

RobertoOrtiz
01-23-2004, 01:24 AM
Quote:
"We might finally have it. People we trust are telling us that there's a TV show on the design table. Instead of a Rogue Squadron series (which we first theorized some time ago), they may be looking at a post Episode 3 - pre Episode 4 about the rise of Darth Vader"

>>link<< (http://www.theforce.net/episode3/index.shtml#23062)

-R

Array
01-23-2004, 01:50 AM
oh dear god...I hope not....

Maybe a mini-series...but PLEASE not a TV show.

FloydBishop
01-23-2004, 03:08 AM
They could take a page from the "Battlestar Gallactica" handbook and make Vader female.

Brettzies
01-23-2004, 03:23 AM
they may be looking at a post Episode 3 - pre Episode 4 about the rise of Darth Vader

I thought that's what episodes 1 -3 were suppose to be about? I like StarWars quite a bit, but I'm not very interested in a TV show at all. Of course, the way things have been going, they'll probably stick an extra triology in the middle of all this and renumber ep4-6 to 7-9, and each one will begin...Indiana Jones and the temple of StarWars: Episode (var) and on and on. I'd still go see 'em.

heavyness
01-23-2004, 04:31 AM
i think this would rock! i've seen some very good sci-fi tv series and with ILM doing the effects, they could pull it off. i'm all for it. and if it does good, they could do the Rogue Squadron, The Thrawn Trilogy, and maybe Tale of the Bounty Hunters.

long live star wars!

ages
01-23-2004, 05:10 AM
starwars is dead...Lets have a gungan sseries.

kiaran
01-23-2004, 08:28 AM
I've always fantasized about a Star Wars series, but it would be very easy to screw up. Tread lightly....

Supervlieg
01-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Aaaaaarrrgghh!!

This could possible be much worse than the whole Lois and Clark thing

JoeBananas
01-23-2004, 12:50 PM
If it goes ahead, I couldn't see ILM doing the effects for a TV series.

ILM are seriously expensive. When the BBC wanted to Walking With Dino's they asked ILM how much they'd charge to do the effects, the price came they came back with was $10,000 per second! And that was 5 years ago! :eek:

I don't think any TV series could support an effects budget that big

Geta-Ve
01-23-2004, 02:50 PM
10g per second? talk about having money to spend.... lol

anyways... isnt there already a show on tv..?? clone wars? i watched a few episodes pretty cool actually, i like the sabers.. heh..

but live action? ugh... they should bring back the ewoks show.. that ruled big time!!:drool: ewoks :drool: oops i mean...

mattregnier
01-23-2004, 03:01 PM
This may be a good time for them to try it. Maybe Lucas had plans of a tv show, but since star trek was already running and pretty much had the market on it he never attempted it. Now that Star Trek Enterprise is getting the ax with no new ST series on deck, it's time for Star Wars to come to the small screen. As bad as everything thinks it will be I'd say don't knock it til we see it.

But from a timeline perspective, i'd say make the tv series after eps 4-6, then there's no continuity to worry about. You can use new actors/new storylines, and you don't have to worry about when/what time luke/leia are born and crap like that. You are more free to do what you want...

Plus, to the people that think this will 'ruin' the star wars enterprise, think about it. Star Wars, as Lucas has said many times in interviews, is about an ever expansive universe. All we see through the movies is a small chunk of it. Theres many other tales/races/planets to explore and that could evolve from a tv series.

JoeBananas
01-23-2004, 03:02 PM
lol

bloomin ewoks! wasn't there a crappy ewok film out after ROTJ?

I remember thinking it was lame even back then, and that was the eighties, when we thought Miami Vice was cool!

JoeBananas
01-23-2004, 03:14 PM
So enterprise is getting the axe? I guess it was comming, the show is so dull!! Its like its written with a database of possible main plots, and sub plots, and they just run some computer that randomly assemles them into scripts

Bring Back Firefly I say!

Why Fox descied to axe that I'll never know. :shrug:

Some of the best TV sci fi I've seen in years.

zappenduster
01-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by JoeBananas
If it goes ahead, I couldn't see ILM doing the effects for a TV series.

ILM are seriously expensive. When the BBC wanted to Walking With Dino's they asked ILM how much they'd charge to do the effects, the price came they came back with was $10,000 per second! And that was 5 years ago! :eek:

I don't think any TV series could support an effects budget that big

i dont know much about the wires in the lucas imperium but isnt ilm a company of george lucas so if hes producing it ilm is "just" a inhouse studio like weta was for the lord of the rings

they wouldnt charge 10k$ per sec but all depends on whos the producer of that show if its lucas all financial is good if not get ready to see much ewoks... =)

ages
01-23-2004, 04:39 PM
What stuffed up Enterprise is that they Americanized the whole thing, even down to the intro sequence...

I hope it dies a violent death.

Long Live Babylon 5!

chadtheartist
01-23-2004, 05:11 PM
No, what messed up Enterprise was not putting it on a much wider network, Like ABC, CBS, or NBC. Not everyone has UPN, and that seriously limited their market. I for one liked it, and thought it had great potential. I especially like the tension between the Vulcans and Humans. IMO, Enterprise was a lot better than Star Wars Ep 1-2, as far as a prequel was concerned. But where I live WB decided to drop it, and I haven't seen any of the second season.

I for one would love to see a Star Wars TV show, similar to Stargate. I can imagine them really opening up the Star Wars series and showing us how massive the Star Wars Universe is. If done right, I feel this show would be amazing! But I hope they don't do any more prequels. Enough with that already, I'd say show something after Luke, and the start of the new Jedi's. There is a ton of potential there, let's just hope they don't go to any Ewok or Gungan extremes.

NanoGator
01-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by ages
Long Live Babylon 5!

Long live cardboard acting and dozing dialog! :applause:

Sorry, hard to support B5 after re-watching DS9 on DVD. Lotsa awesome character-based stuff there. Somehow I doubt a SW based series would have those moments.

KillMe
01-23-2004, 11:34 PM
the potential is huge both to make a great series and also to foul it up beyond words

episodes 1 and 2 have already started down the latter path with ships and weapons sytems that jstu didn't feel liek star wars

most noteablly those droid tanks with the big wheels etc they looked like they had come out of some comic book

so yeah lets see this happen but who ever does it tread lightly indeed

DePingus
01-24-2004, 01:14 AM
I say let Bioware write the series! They seem to be the only ones capable of authentically recreating the StarWars universe.

Joe2003
01-24-2004, 03:59 AM
There is no talk of a TV series ala Star Trek. Lucas has repeatedly stated he wants no part of a long running series. What they're talking about is a movie or perhaps a mini-series. I doubt even that happens. But it's not going to be a TV series at all.

tjnyc
01-25-2004, 05:10 PM
People lets not forget George Lucas has already went this route with Indiana Jones, the short lived ABC TV series Adventures of Young Indiana Jones. It flopped in the ratings and was very expensive to make. I doubt Lucas is itching to try "the Adventures of Young Darth Vader" after the previous TV series fiasco.

squidinc
01-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by DePingus
I say let Bioware write the series! They seem to be the only ones capable of authentically recreating the StarWars universe.

yup, couldn't agree more, loved what they did with KOTOR, I hope they do a few more

as for a tv series, that could go horribly wrong, it'd probably end like some jedi 90210, or saved by the jedi, or the yoda bunch

claytondouglas
01-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Yeah....they could have Freddy Prinze JR play Anakin, and Jar JAr could be played by a pot smoking rasta.....and Queen Amadala could be played by Sarah Michelle Gellar. It could talke place in a high school with lots of cool cameos like Screech and William Shattner

I promise Ill shoot my TV and then myself if this happens....well maybe just my TV twice.

georgh
01-25-2004, 11:53 PM
yeah..........Im all for it..........since the acting level is already at a bad tv soap level - why not put the whole thing into telly.......

Joe2003
01-26-2004, 05:28 AM
Oh brother, these threads are like a broken record.

mattregnier
01-26-2004, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by tjnyc
People lets not forget George Lucas has already went this route with Indiana Jones, the short lived ABC TV series Adventures of Young Indiana Jones. It flopped in the ratings and was very expensive to make. I doubt Lucas is itching to try "the Adventures of Young Darth Vader" after the previous TV series fiasco.

I know that people say this show flopped but i haven't found one person to say bad things about it. I for one loved the series, it was a great family action/story show that everyone could watch and enjoy. Exactly what the star wars universe is all about. I really think it would do well.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.