PDA

View Full Version : James Cameron Returning To SF?

RobertoOrtiz
01-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Quote:
" Director James Cameron said he will end a self-imposed six-year hiatus from studio moviemaking by preparing a new SF film he hopes to shoot for 20th Century Fox later this year with high-definition 3-D video cameras, Variety reported. Cameron announced his plans Jan. 20 at an appearance at the ArcLight Hollywood theater after a screening of Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

Cameron remained tight-lipped about the title and concept during a Q&A session after the movie, but described the feature as a "big-budget science-fiction film with a pile of special effects," the trade paper reported.

"When I see a movie like the Lord of the Rings films and I see what's possible with digital effects now, I can't resist," Cameron said. "I've got to come and play, because there are some really cool images that I was never able to do before that I want to do now."

Cameron said the movie will be shot using the Reality Camera System, the patented 3-D camera rig he used for Ghosts of the Abyss, his Imax documentary about the Titanic." (and Spy Kids 3 -Roberto)

>>link<< (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-01/22/12.10.film)

-R

SheepFactory
01-22-2004, 10:06 PM
heh , i thought he was returning to San Francisco from the title :P

lone
01-22-2004, 10:54 PM
about time he got over that boat fixation.

gjpetch
01-22-2004, 10:58 PM
I heard talk of Cameron doing Battle Angel Elita, Perhaps this is it?

Supervlieg
01-22-2004, 11:06 PM
Its nice to see him getting some SF work done again. Him and FX work out well together.

WhiteRabbitObj
01-23-2004, 12:44 AM
It'd be sweet if it was Alien 5. He stated he would do Alien 5 if they didn't do AvP... which they're obviously doing, but it could be that he's reconsidered. Now that CG is at the point that it can do Aliens justice (cuz Alien 4 had some iffy stuff) we could get really, really scary stuff up on the silver screen. Part of what made Aliens so scary was how they move and whatnot, all stealthy and agile, and it'd be excellent to see a whole mess of them swarming over walls. Plus, in 3D? Come on! I'd probably poop my pants, the Aliens movies still freak me out to this day. I don't like Cameron's action approach to Aliens as much as Ridley Scott and David Fincher's more horror approach but it would be cool to see more Aliens anyhow.

Or a standalone Predator movie! :thumbsup:

Anything to rid the slate of AvP.

Wonder if he'll get back with Digital Domain now or if he's severed that relationship forever. I don't know the full story behind that separation so I can't speculate too much.

vfx fan
01-23-2004, 01:15 AM
I read (somewhere) that he no longer has affiliation with Digital Domain and that he might approach ILM again for future projects with heavy-duty fx sequences.

And besides, if you want to get technical, James Cameron just came out with "Ghosts of the Abyss" last year, and he directed the pilot of "Dark Angel." So he hasn't been gone for six years! ;)

Personally, I'm more worried about Paul Verhoeven. There hasn't been another project of his since "Hollow Man" -- though maybe that's why we haven't heard from him. Wasn't he supposed to make a movie about the Crusades? (I also heard Cameron was at one time attached to that film or a similar project.)

KolbyJukes
01-23-2004, 02:14 AM
Last I heard he was supposed to be directing a live action version of the anime - Battle Angel Attila.

malducin
01-23-2004, 03:16 AM
Well there are many possibilities. There is the unrealized Avatar, at one point he wanted to make a space film (rumors of a Mars film), and of course DD now has the rights for Illium and its sequel.

Although I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's something totally different we never heard of (a script of his own).

JA-forreal
01-23-2004, 07:43 AM
Humm. Maybe he will do a sci-fi film that is not solely "pseudo" target marketed to a teenage boy crowd. You know a sci-fi film with an actually palatable storyline and plot like LOTR.

Baldric
01-23-2004, 07:51 PM
He is doing a live action version of Battle Angel Alita.

talos72
01-23-2004, 08:08 PM
There hasn't been a serious science fiction film (one that really explores the genre and its philosophy) since "Blade Runner"...could Cameron change that? Maybe? :rolleyes:

ICO88
01-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Theres been plenty of Sci Fi which pushes the genre philisophicaly. Gattica, 12 Monkeys, 1st Matrix, Minority Report, A.I. the list could go on.

Cararan
01-23-2004, 09:05 PM
Finally the King of the Box Office will be returning.

Nemoid
01-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by talos72
There hasn't been a serious science fiction film (one that really explores the genre and its philosophy) since "Blade Runner"...could Cameron change that? Maybe? :rolleyes:

I think is the time to return in some way to show universe, stars, exploration...man's journey into the mistery... Blade Runner, 12 monkeys , Matrix first movie are excellent sci fi, but there's not the cosmic dimension.. just like in 2001 a space odissey (ok a more speedy version).
Unfortunately, The Fifth Element was nice, but not enough pushed really into the genre's philosophy. in some way all is too much speedy and plain in this movie.

sometimes I think that a good and huge remake of the classic Forbidden Planet would be SO good!!

playmesumch00ns
01-23-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by WhiteRabbit.obj
Part of what made Aliens so scary was how they move and whatnot, all stealthy and agile, and it'd be excellent to see a whole mess of them swarming over walls. Plus, in 3D? Come on! I'd probably poop my pants

Dude did we see the same aliens movies? It looked like big guys jumping around in rubber suits to me.

What made Alien so scary was that you didn't see the creature. So you didn't have the chance to pick apart its fakeness. Doing a whole bunch of aliens swarming all over the walls in CG would never stand up to what you're dreaming of...

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit.obj
Anything to rid the slate of AvP.

When did you see the film? You must know some inside people to have seen and be able to criticise the finished film before it's even been made...

Johnlittle
01-24-2004, 01:31 AM
I would hope for a huge epic trilogy.Like LOTR.But set in a far off place full of mystery and sci fi gadgets.Done with the same depth and scale of Lotr.A cross of Star wars and Lotr,real grand scale here.He is really big on space etc,etc... we shall see soon enough.:beer:

WhiteRabbitObj
01-24-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by playmesumch00ns
Dude did we see the same aliens movies? It looked like big guys jumping around in rubber suits to me.

What made Alien so scary was that you didn't see the creature. So you didn't have the chance to pick apart its fakeness. Doing a whole bunch of aliens swarming all over the walls in CG would never stand up to what you're dreaming of...

When did you see the film? You must know some inside people to have seen and be able to criticise the finished film before it's even been made...

Well, Alien 3 had liberal amounts of Alien movement, both through the poor CG and first-person camera movements, and though there were quick and dark shots to hide imperfections with the aliens in previous films, there is still the suggestion of movement. I dunno, maybe I just took it further in my imagination than you.

As far as criticizing AvP before I see it... I'm fully confident in doing so. If only because they release a "trailer" that included nothing but shots from the old films. That's an insult to my intelligence. But as for something more concrete, there is the plot of the film which has been made well known and is terrible in my opinion. At this point, I believe it will be terrible. I thought T3 would be terrible too and I was highly surprised that I loved it and mayhap it will be the same thing for AvP. I'd certainly be glad if I was wrong! I'm suspecting it might turn out like Freddy Vs. Jason, a big joke film that's just an excuse to kick butt, which was awesome for FvJ, I just don't appreciate that for the Aliens and Predator franchises, since they weren't jokes to begin with like slasher films.

And God I hope he's not making live action anime.

malducin
01-24-2004, 06:59 AM
I think is the time to return in some way to show universe, stars, exploration...man's journey into the mistery... but there's not the cosmic dimension.. just like in 2001 a space odissey

Well I guess it depends on how narrow you make the definition. Wher3 would films like Contact, Total Recall, Stargate, Enemy Mine, 2010, Starman fit on that. There are many other films which are more debatable that still would more or less on tht criteria like Starship Troopers, Event Horizon, Sphere, Species, Fire in the Sky and Flight of the Navigator.

Alien 3 had liberal amounts of Alien movement, both through the poor CG

Most of the xenomorph on that was either a full suit (either Gillis or Woodruff would be ion it) and a miniature puppet (by Boss) that had rods composited in. There was some CG on tht but mainly to add contact shadows. I'm not even sure if they used CG (probably) to remove he rods. On the other hand Alien 4 had CG alien courtesy of Blue Sky Studios.

Gazortus
01-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Baldric
He is doing a live action version of Battle Angel Alita.

I've heard that as well, and its interesting to note that fox also grabbed various domain names related to the Alita/Gunnm property. Doesn't really mean anything, it may never get put into production.

You can pitch it to the masses as Road Warrior meets Terminator with a girl and it will sell if done right.

Kishrios new Last Order series of manga introduces more concepts to the story as it expands past earth into the rest of the solar system and digging into the history of Alita's/Gallys/Yuko's past on Mars.

I think one problem is theres so much material to cover. You got Yuko's back story, Ido and life in the scrap yard, motor ball, MIB vs. Nova, return to Tiphares/Salem, confronting Ladder,etc.

Even if you do it with a trilogy, it will be tricky to get alot of that story in there, unless you start later and flash back to the past.

Ah well one can hope.

Nemoid
01-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by malducin
Well I guess it depends on how narrow you make the definition. Wher3 would films like Contact, Total Recall, Stargate, Enemy Mine, 2010, Starman fit on that. There are many other films which are more debatable that still would more or less on tht criteria like Starship Troopers, Event Horizon, Sphere, Species, Fire in the Sky and Flight of the Navigator.

Didn't say that these movies were crap, but science fiction IMO must be not only related to a vision of future similar to Ballard's and Dick's inner world approach. This was useful, to focus on character's personality and world, but also a restriction, in most cases trying to foresee how society on earth will be in some years or centuries in the best case.
The dimension wich science fiction has lost in time is also the sense of wonder in front of the mistery of universe of other worlds, civilizations and man's life.
From where we come, and where we go.

Now all has been restricted to our inner universe and vision, that even if important has no sense of wonder and brings quite pessimistic visions.

i am a big fan of movies like Enemy mine or Total recall and Starman too, Blade runner of course, but also The Black Hole, series like Galactica and Star Trek classic series, in wich there was that sense of wonder wich you can see, now they've lost.

In a movie like Forbidden Planet there's all of this and despite the classic, astonishing quality of the movie (related to in wich year it appeared) it can be improved and remade.

From a very good director, of course

Bonedaddy
01-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Alita/Gunnm is my favorite manga of all time, so I hope he's doing that one. I am worried about how it turns out, for many of the aforementioned reasons. I mean, Alita is an epic, spanning decades (arguably centuries), and short of doing a TV series off of it (as I thought Dark Angel was supposed to be), how can you really capture its greatness?

However, Cameron has a couple things going for him:
1) He can throw around huge amounts of money. This is necessary.
2) He already had a dry run with "Dark Angel." Jessica Alba would make a pretty good Alita/Gally.
3) Cameron knows effects, and how to use them in novel ways.

But really, I'm just hoping that he makes this, and that I can work on it. That would be a dream come true. Which house would get it, do you think? DD, because they have the strongest relationship w/Cameron? Or is that no longer the case anymore?

malducin
01-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Ahhh sorry Nemoid, I misunderstood you. Well there is always room for both types. But since scifi movies are generally geared towards action and VFX, either softer scifi or grand exploration ones will have a hard time getting made (though you get a few now and then).

I do disagree that most scifi movies now are inner visions or close futures though. Maybe as a byproduct of the typical scifi action movie (establishing the setting) but not certainly the focus as in Blade Runner or the Handmaid's Tale.

Funny that you metnion Forbidden Planet because now I remember that at least at one point there was going to be a remake, I think by Cameron. Crash McCreery, then at Stan Winston Studios had made designs for the Id monster many years ago. Movie went to development hell.

There are still other chances for moer grandiose scifi like the stalled Rendezvous with Rama that Fincher and Morgan Freeman were going to do but is also on the backburner. There are many other properties but hearing what might have been done to I, Robot I wouldn't hold my breath.

Nemoid
01-25-2004, 01:10 PM
I never said that exploration and sense of wonder kinda sci fi can't be coupled with alot of action, and dynamism.and also, deep characters.
I'm not also talking of going in a scientific approach like 2001, cause that can be really boring. science- FICTION has science but alot of fiction as well.

I only talked about my impression about many recent movies and TV series, Star Trek too , going more and more towards a inner world approach and quite a restricted way to show things , both in look and in storyline. Colors became more dark, and homogeneous, preferably going towards blue tones and storylines in most cases become darker wich doesn't mean necessarily deeper.

this process started
with movies like Blade Runner, wich despite being an excellent sci fi masterpiece, influenced alot sci fi movies of recent years so that no movies reached another kinda vision. (ok maybe Starship Troopers could reach in some way a more "sunny " look in a complete adaptation of the novel , or better, a new Star Wars trilogy with a deeper and good storyline could )

If we take the case of movies like Matrix we can notice alot of what I'm saying. in fact Cyberpunk is the direct consequence of inner world approach by Ballard and Dick. (when William Gibson saw Blade Runner for the first time, he found his novel "Neuromancer"was just on the screen! ) and also, the things shown in the trilogy were just plain old classic cyberpunk with alot of well made effects. the fact is that the world we live right now is just in some way similar to that of the movie wich appears not so different from a Sliding doors or Alice movie.

IMO this is the main reason why these sort of movies had a lmited success.

To return on topic I think Cameron could do a good sci fi movie and I hope so, just because he's a very good director and in general he has excellent ideas. also he has an excellent sense of rithm and storyline.
I dunno about Alita. I see those things difficult to adapt. but a good director can make a good job with every starting point.

malducin
01-26-2004, 08:17 AM
LOL, dude I didn't say you said that. It was just IMHO that todays scifi films are not very condusive to what you (and many others) would like to see. I understand you perfectly.

Another recent film that kinda fel in the middle was the new Solaris. While it was sort of a personal, bizarre love story it was also about the the utter incomprehensible and unknowable out there.

Yes Cameron knows bothy how to write originals or take an existing one and take it to the next level. That reminds me that when he took Aliens he was offered before at Fox a Space SciFi version of Spartacus.

Nemoid
01-26-2004, 10:51 AM
That's why Solaris was the remake of the old movie from Andrei Tarkowsky. An interesting, but also boooring movie, so that you're right, its in the middle.

Cameron was offered a Spartacus sci fi version? sounds good !
Aliens was very good both in direction,storytelling and vision, even if with some Cameron preferences about things like strong women and the pleasure to show alot instead of hiding the alien itself, like it happens in the first movie.
But you can't love Cameron if you don't love these things; the result however is that the movie is a masterpiece.

Now, just can't wait to know what the heck his supposed new sci fi movie will be. :drool: the only thing I know is that the SFX are very improved with CGI , there's also his Cameron 3D camera!! So he will be able to film and show everything he wants, just like Jackson was able to accomplish a huge trilogy like LOTR.

hardimage
01-26-2004, 02:21 PM
alien 5 would be nice

trevanian
01-26-2004, 08:54 PM
As was mentioned earlier, FORBIDDEN PLANET was something he has been mentioned as considering, but that was a decade back.

More recently, he was considering doing Larry Niven's RINGWORLD, and I'm hoping that is what this project turns out to be. The timing on Cameron's interest in RINGWORLD was pretty bad, since that was going to be Tippett's directorial debut. I seem to remember that Cameron's interest killed development on Tippett doing it. It'd be nice to see somebody do it, and somebody who can get the necessary budget to do it properly.

Also, RINGWORLD has got numerous bits that would probably look very grand using a 3D process, so that might be another bonus.

As long as we are kinda-sorta on the subject ... Does anybody know where the LONG version of Soderberg/Cameron's SOLARIS might be found? [Please, no 'isn't the final cut the long version?' jokes, please]

The commentary track mentioned an earlier cut in which the docking sequence -- which might be the finest spaceship stuff I've ever seen done without physical miniatures -- was TWICE as long. As I am the one person on Earth who wishes this movie was longer than it is, I'd love to find something along these lines (and I doubt, given the film's reception, that they are going to double-dip it with new extras on DVD anytime soon.)

vfx fan
01-26-2004, 09:10 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Cameron or some big director was remaking "The War of the Worlds."

trevanian
01-26-2004, 10:27 PM
The only recent WAR OF WORLDS talk I know of had to do with a low-budget version that was going to be faithful to the Wells novel, setting it in the 19th century. It got a lot of coverage in late 2001, I think because they claimed to have landed a midrange star -- maybe Michael Caine? -- for the project, but I hadn't heard much since (they made some sort of self-serving announcement about suspending production due to 9/11, when it was supposedly money-related instead, and I think there was a lot of bad vibes over that ... )

darkhorizons.com almost certainly has something about this in their old archive files from late 2001.

The only name I've heard associated with WAR is Trumbull, who did some early magicam work in the 70s for a Paramount project called WAR OF THE WORLDS that had almost nothing to do with the Wells property (typical Paramount move -- sort of like the stuff they do under the TREK banner these days, even those it has precious little to do with STAR TREK) ... the Trumbull tests wound up being used in TV movie shot on video called THE SPACEWATCH MURDERS, that is one grotesquely bad little movie. No sets, all just actors and their shadows chromakeyed into miniatures ... come to think of it, looked sort of like the last couple SW movies!

I for one wish somebody would tackle doing WAR OF THE WORLDS as the rock opera that they made into an album in the late 70s. It is really awesome, using incidents and text from Wells read by Richard Burton but also using a ton of songs. Stylistically, it would have to be as surreal as MOULIN ROUGE, but it would definitely be a lot different than any other filmed WoW!

malducin
01-27-2004, 12:35 AM
Oooooh Ringworld!!! I do remember Tippett's brief involvement. Maybe there are some rumblings as Larry Niven seems to have visted ILM about a year or so ago to speak there and have a little tour.

Nemoid
01-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by trevanian
As was mentioned earlier, FORBIDDEN PLANET was something he has been mentioned as considering, but that was a decade back.

More recently, he was considering doing Larry Niven's RINGWORLD, and I'm hoping that is what this project turns out to be. The timing on Cameron's interest in RINGWORLD was pretty bad, since that was going to be Tippett's directorial debut. I seem to remember that Cameron's interest killed development on Tippett doing it. It'd be nice to see somebody do it, and somebody who can get the necessary budget to do it properly.

Also, RINGWORLD has got numerous bits that would probably look very grand using a 3D process, so that might be another bonus.

As long as we are kinda-sorta on the subject ... Does anybody know where the LONG version of Soderberg/Cameron's SOLARIS might be found? [Please, no 'isn't the final cut the long version?' jokes, please]

The commentary track mentioned an earlier cut in which the docking sequence -- which might be the finest spaceship stuff I've ever seen done without physical miniatures -- was TWICE as long. As I am the one person on Earth who wishes this movie was longer than it is, I'd love to find something along these lines (and I doubt, given the film's reception, that they are going to double-dip it with new extras on DVD anytime soon.)

Now these were interesting projects !:thumbsup:
someday the Forbidden Planet project will be done, i'm sure!!
Ringworld seems kool though.

What I hope is that Cameron's interest in aquatic movies come to an end : nothing against it at all, (i like very much the Abyss) but I think he explored seas enough, and want to see some more space!! :)

Boone
01-27-2004, 10:13 PM
I hope he gives us another "Terminator" or "Abyss". As in a new project - scratch built.

He's had his shot at the Alien saga. He's done with the Terminator series. His Titanic sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

What he needs to do is to let his imagination take over and let his passion for sci-fi drive the new project forward.

Oh, and he should draft ILM back into service!:thumbsup:

malducin
02-02-2004, 07:28 AM
Maybe it'll be a Mars project:

James Camreon's Mars Reference Designs (http://www.astrobio.net/news/article813.html)

Bonedaddy
02-02-2004, 07:34 AM
Slight spoilers for those uninitiated with Battle Angel Alita....

You know, Alita's background takes place on Mars.... :)

malducin
02-02-2004, 08:58 AM
ALthough some of those designs seem more appropiate for something like Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars novels.

bobakabob
02-03-2004, 01:58 AM
The whole AvP concept is utterly crass and dreadful... the complete antithesis of Ridley Scott's original beautifully crafted movie.

Wrestling in Space for the fanboys...

gabe28
02-03-2004, 02:50 AM
Didn't say that these movies were crap, but science fiction IMO must be not only related to a vision of future similar to Ballard's and Dick's inner world approach. This was useful, to focus on character's personality and world, but also a restriction, in most cases trying to foresee how society on earth will be in some years or centuries in the best case.
The dimension wich science fiction has lost in time is also the sense of wonder in front of the mistery of universe of other worlds, civilizations and man's life.
From where we come, and where we go.

The Robot books by Isaac Asimov would fit what you're talking about quite nicely. But.... let's face it, I don't think the Will Smith movie is gonna do it justice. It's too bad though, because I think the books would have made a great triology of movies.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.