PDA

View Full Version : Article: Does a good sleep make you smarter?

SheepFactory
01-22-2004, 05:27 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4016780/

"Everybody feels refreshed following a good night’s sleep. But can you wake up smarter? More artistic perhaps?

German scientists say they have demonstrated for the first time that our sleeping brains continue working on problems that baffle us during the day, and the right answer may come more easily after 8 hours of rest."

I am off to take a nap :)

StevenR
01-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
our sleeping brains continue working on problems that baffle us during the day, and the right answer may come more easily after 8 hours of rest."Anyone who's played through the Myst series should know this already ;)

Cool article :thumbsup:

Clanger
01-22-2004, 11:08 PM
This has worked for me many times, think about a problem while going to sleep and get the answer in the morning.
Although quite often I dream I've fixed the problem in my dream only to fing it's still there when I wake up.

erilaz
01-22-2004, 11:51 PM
My brain certainly works out the tough problems in my sleep. It just doesn't tell me what the solution is in the morning. Selfish bastard.

vfx fan
01-23-2004, 01:10 AM
I kinda notice that when I'm dozing off, great creative ideas come to my mind. A lot of answers to life's most difficult questions also come to mind during this time. I suppose that it has to do with the individual, because no two people's brains work the same way.

Though keep in mind that it hasn't been working out this way because of my stress, being Oscar fever season and all. But when the Oscar nominees for Best Visual Effects go my way, the way I predict them (which they usually do), I'm able to get on with my little life! :D

Layer01
01-23-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by vfx fan
I kinda notice that when I'm dozing off, great creative ideas come to my mind. A lot of answers to life's most difficult questions also come to mind during this time. I suppose that it has to do with the individual, because no two people's brains work the same way.

acctually this is due to your brain wave patterns, i forget which it is exactly when your going to sleep, but its the same as when your say relaxed or walking (as long as your relaxed) it lets your brain "relax" too and it starts to make random conections between things. this is why you get lots of ideas as you fall asleep, take a break, or go for a stroll. you brain is just taking bits of info and plonking together with other bits....seemingly comeing up with strange new ideas out of no where.
this is more so when you dream...hence why dreams are so random.

t-man152
01-23-2004, 07:12 AM
damn those geniouses that have been in a coma for over a year

:p

iDio is Me
01-23-2004, 07:24 AM
How do insomniacs, like me, get rest to be more artistic, with all of the stress of everything bothering you? Any article on this? Sorry for the interruption....

Ageren
01-23-2004, 10:02 AM
[off topic]
the next article is on a doctor removing a 175-pound tumor from a patient, and there's an advertisement on this page: "want to lose weight?" :hmm:
[/off topic]

By the way, the remark on the Myst series is on target :)

Ageren

aurora
01-23-2004, 01:46 PM
I'll agree that your brain continues to crank through problems while you sleep. I remember when my dad was going to college he would spend hours on his math and physics problems and occasionally get stuck on one. Then in the middle of the night he would bolt straight up out of bed with the answers. I thought that was the freakest (at the time spelled funniest thing) till about my 3 year of college when I started doing the same thing with chemistry and physics work.
As of right now I just curse the fact that I actually wakeup in the morning and not still asleep.

paintbox
01-23-2004, 02:57 PM
That's why I also keep a sketch book + pencil near when I go to sleep (or wherever I go for that matter) You never know when inspiration is going to hit you.

Fluckrat
01-23-2004, 03:09 PM
I can vouch for this theory, it's happened to me loads of times.

The sewing machine was invented during a dream, well the shape of the needle at least...

http://www.geocities.com/madhukar_shukla/crebook/08.html

mattregnier
01-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by paintbox
That's why I also keep a sketch book + pencil near when I go to sleep (or wherever I go for that matter) You never know when inspiration is going to hit you.

Best advice ever paintbox. Like the mastercard commericial, never leave home without a sketchbook. Artists cg or traditional should consider a sketchbook/journal like a wallet or a purse or a cellphone. Never be caught without them. Inspiration can strike anywhere/everywhere and when it does you need to have somewhere to jot down those ideas.

keltuzar
01-23-2004, 04:08 PM
I dont know when I have too much pressure like a history test I will be having tomorrow, I tend to dream about the different painters and paintings, trying to remember who did what. Well I think sleep is important but not too little nor too much.

rock
01-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Remember that if sleep does make us smarter in some way, it also means that sleep makes the software that we use smarter. In essence, it makes LW8 feel like LW10. :)

I also often doze off in class when I was in school. That's how I graduated -- a lot of sleep, a little study, and therefore a lot of luck. :)

quid
01-23-2004, 09:50 PM
I used to sleep on my books for real. I learn through osmosis.

There was also a study not to long ago, I'm too sleepy to look for it, but it stated that people who sleep more do not live as long those who sleep less.

JMulder
01-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by quid
There was also a study not to long ago, I'm too sleepy to look for it, but it stated that people who sleep more do not live as long those who sleep less.

Yep, people who got 7 hours of sleep per night lived longer and lifespan declined the further you got from that. However, the study (at least the one I heard about) didn't take into account any other factors (such as whether the people who got 7 hours of sleep were using their extra waking hour exercising, or whether people who were getting lots of sleep were doing so because of illness).

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.