PDA

View Full Version : Galactica that never was (Foundation Imaging Demo)

RobertoOrtiz
01-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Check this out,
This is suberb work by the folks of the now defunt
Foundation Imaging.

http://www.thomas7g.com/battlestar-...dation_demo.zip

Mirror:
http://www.cylon.org/vids/foundation_demo.avi

Quote:
"This evening, at roughly 7 pm central standard time, Fleets together with Cylon.org released the Foundation Galactica demo to the public. Were sorry for the delay but we know you will enjoy it and hope the wait was well worth it. The file size is roughly a 10 meg zip file. It's encoded in divx at 320x240. A larger file size maybe available at a later date but we thought it best to keep it at a minimum for those still on modem connections. I dare not go any smaller than 10 megs folks or quality would have been lost.
"

>>link<< (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5985)
-R

FloydBishop
01-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Very nice.

malducin
01-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Is this the one that Richard Hatch had made and was showing around when he was trying to launch his revival version?

percydaman
01-22-2004, 09:08 PM
I bet he pitches 300 mph strikes every time.

E_Moelzer
01-23-2004, 01:05 AM
Wow, this is awesome!
Especially considering when it was made!
I dont hink this is Richard Hatchs version, even though there seems to be some simlarity in concept, from what I have heard about it.
Richard Hatchs trailer was done by independend artists and not a studio and AFAIK it was done with 3dsmax.
The screenshots, that I saw from it did not look as good as the trailer foundation did here. Richard had some life- acting in his though...
CU
Elmar

LittleFenris
01-23-2004, 02:40 AM
Man, I had mad respect for Foundation back in the day...too bad they are gone now. :( Roughnecks was so awesome. This looks like it would have been just as good. :buttrock:

eliseu gouveia
01-23-2004, 06:01 AM
<- Dies.

DigiLusionist
01-23-2004, 06:09 AM
This demo captured the technological feel of the original show with nice updates to it. I like their Cylon model better than the latest show's. And, of course, I love the original Cylon fighter's rounded look. This demo kept that.

Too bad they didn't get to do the miniseries...

Ross Forster
01-23-2004, 07:00 AM
That was very sweet:buttrock:

Seeing some of Foundations work again, especially something as great as this just makes me think of the extreme waste there was with FI's closure.

Foundation was very inspirational to me and I would truly love to see it reformed someday with the same old talent.:bowdown:

Ross

beaker
01-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Many people from Foundation work at Zoic who ended up doing the show. The look of the Foundation Images version was probably from when Brian Singer was still on the project. The story changed alot once he left. The Zoic version would have looked very similar if they had kept on that story path.

Ross Forster
01-23-2004, 07:22 PM
I would certainly agree with that... and thats exactly why I was also glad to see some of the guys head over to Eden to continue work on Enterprise mid season 2.

True, Eden FX did have their fair shair of shots, not only on Enterprise, but Voyager too... though to me, keeping some of the FI crew on made tremendous sense as it carried on some of that legacy of what they started when they shifted Voyager over from model photography to computer graphics.

Ross

LittleFenris
01-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Ross Forster
...when they shifted Voyager over from model photography to computer graphics.

Ross

I've always heard no matter how good the computer graphics are, models that are well lit will still look more convincing on film...so why would they switch to CG only? Not that any of the CG is bad..just curious what peoples thoughts are on this. :wavey:

RobertoOrtiz
01-23-2004, 07:47 PM
The problem with model work for a tv production it that it takes time.
And time = money.

It is more effective to do TV effects in the computer becuase u get way more bang for the buck.

-R

Ross Forster
01-23-2004, 09:57 PM
I am still a huge fan of model & minature photography even though people tend to go the complete cg route these days.

As RobertoOrtiz said, its most always about time and money and so naturally when another and cheaper alternative pops up which dosen't include any physical rigs or setups... or long reset times then that other method can be very lucrative.

Obviously theres more to it than that and in Voyagers case it was also about having more freedom and flexabllity... and being able to have more elaborate shots which were able to live up to the storys being told.

Remember, it was a tv show and not a film. Shorter deadlines and smaller budgets require more practical solutions.

When it comes to large motion pictures is when it really gets exciting because you can combine all these differencet techniques and talents to pull off some really amazing shots.

Ross

lone
01-23-2004, 11:05 PM
that was some nice work - and i agree with DIDILUSIONIST; the old CYLON fighters look better than the new ones.

dmaas
01-23-2004, 11:42 PM
FI had space graphics nailed... I think their work in Babylon 5 (esp "Severed Dreams") is some of the best sci-fi CG ever.

beaker
01-24-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by dmaas
FI had space graphics nailed... I think their work in Babylon 5 (esp "Severed Dreams") is some of the best sci-fi CG ever.
No, B5 was done by Netter Digital, who is also defunct now(filed chapter 11 4 years ago).

zappenduster
01-24-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by beaker
No, B5 was done by Netter Digital, who is also defunct now(filed chapter 11 4 years ago).

but didnt they switch the cg from one company to another after a season dont remember really its long time ago but i think there was something with the scifi channel involved in this change

maybe someone here can bring more light into this

dmaas
01-24-2004, 02:01 AM
There was a contract dispute around the end of the 3rd season (or so), and Foundation lost the show to Netter.

Really the entire PC-based special effects botique idea started with Foundation on B5 (and Amblin on SeaQuest).

Ross Forster
01-24-2004, 06:18 AM
Yeah, Foundation seasons 1-3 and Netter season 4-5. You also had a couple of others do some odds and ends.

Ross

Captain April
01-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Looking at Foundation's work one can see the reason that the new Mini series opted to redesign the main ships,The Galactica, Vipers and the Cylon fighters. As nice as the shots look they still don't look as good as the models used in the original. Even the CGI versions of the Rag Tag fleet in the Mini weren't as good as the models. I love the new Vipers, hate the New Cylon ships, and the New Galactica is starting to grow on me. I would love to see some clear renders of the New Battlestar. I really liked the big guns on the ship.

trevanian
01-26-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by dmaas

They had worked out a certain kind of stylized look that worked pretty well on early B5, but having "space graphics nailed"?

No, not ever. I think that the new ship stuff they did for the STAR TREK I DVD could have been better handled using animated photo cutouts, a la a lot of 2001 and SILENT RUNNING. And I wasn't thrilled with their ENT stuff either, though that may have more to do with them producing stuff that the Trek producers found tasteful (as in, boring motion and bad low contrast lighting.)

Now Zoic ... THOSE guys are pretty damn good on the space stuff. Not all that much in GALACTICA, but about 80% of FIREFLY was just unbelievably close to looking like excellent miniature work (which is still far preferable in my book.)

Ross Forster
01-27-2004, 12:01 AM
No, not ever. I think that the new ship stuff they did for the STAR TREK I DVD could have been better handled using animated photo cutouts, a la a lot of 2001 and SILENT RUNNING. And I wasn't thrilled with their ENT stuff either, though that may have more to do with them producing stuff that the Trek producers found tasteful (as in, boring motion and bad low contrast lighting.)

You must be joking right?...Iv'e never been disatisfied with what they've done at all and with regards to Enterprise...their season & half contribution was excellent.

You want model shot quality?...then just check out the pilot episode, the pod shot after the opening theme. Beautiful.

Ross

trevanian
01-27-2004, 12:19 AM
Not joking at all.

The pilot ep you mention is the only one I ever even taped, so I actually saw what you're talking about more than once.

Not impressed (in fact the whole dock sequence looked like quintessential animatic-lookin' CG to me ... at the time I attributed it to a very short production schedule, but then the stuff didn't get significantly better with the passage of time ... except for one close flyby that featured the nacelles near the end of the first year -- and that may be Eden work, I'm not sure -- I don't remember any ENT ship shots that worked really well for me.)

JA-forreal
01-27-2004, 10:47 PM
Foundation, one of my favorites. A big reason why I choose to do 3d design.

Ross Forster
01-28-2004, 01:41 AM
I think Foundation have had a lot of influence on a many a person in its lifetime. They certainly inspired me a great deal.

Ross

dmaas
01-28-2004, 04:45 AM
Foundation and Amblin indeed started a lot of successful 3D graphics careers :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.