PDA

View Full Version : Basic Question?

carloscrespo3d
01-22-2004, 04:40 PM
I am using 3D Studio Max 5.0 and was wondering which rendering engine I need to use to get good atmospheric and ambient outdoor lighting. I have played around with the internal IE Sun and Skylight but have not achieved a level I am satisfied with. I was hoping not to have to purchase Mental Ray. If any one has any experience doing this with the native application set, please respond, Thanks, Storm :D

fufanu
01-23-2004, 04:53 AM
for a very basic outdoor scene try using the Light Tracer plugin that comes with max5 (rendering -->advanced lighting-->light tracer), a skylight tinted blue, a key light tinted slightly yellow with a mulitpiler of 1.2 to 2.0.

Mental Ray comes included with max6, if you really wanted Mental Ray instead of buying it for max5 it might be easier to just upgrade to max6, the max to mental ray connection wasn't as good as it is now that's it's included with max6, but there are a bunch of other 3rd party renderers out there you might want to check out also.

Brazil R/S (www.splutterfish)
Vray (www.vrayrender.com)
Final Render (www.finalrender.com)

carloscrespo3d
01-24-2004, 05:23 AM
Very useful and helpful thanks again. Carlos

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.