PDA

View Full Version : Texturing Tools

FuZion
01-22-2004, 11:35 AM
I posted this in the general area, not realising that there was also this MAX specific area, so here goes (Again :-) in hope that people who only come to this section will pick up on it...

Could you make a toolbar that had many mapping functions that removed the need to apply a uvw map. Basically I want to stay in Edit Poly mode and select faces and have a button that says "Project Y" which would project the texture onto the polgon selection in it's Y axis. I also would like a button that toggle between a projection that would not distort while the mesh was being modified, and then a button to bake it so that it will distort when mesh is altered.

This is to lash textures onto mesh in ultra quick time, probably similar to an unreal/quake/half-life map editor.

I'm not asking someone to script it, I'm asking if people with MaxScript knowledge could tell me if it is possible or not?

Thanks!

Cthulhu
01-22-2004, 01:47 PM
hi!

i'm not that familiar with uvw mapping, but after taking a quick look at the mapping functions of an editPoly, this shouldn't be such a big problem to do... don't know about that distortion thing though, this might be a bit more complicated..

FuZion
01-23-2004, 12:10 AM
It's so frustrating trying to find something as simple as distortion-free projection modelling in MAX. :shrug:

Cthulhu
01-23-2004, 09:35 AM
maybe this one might help you, its a replacement for the editMEsh modifier which doesn't mess up uv coordinates when altering the geometry.

http://www.phoenixgrafik.de/coding/MeshAK.htm

FuZion
01-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Thanks! That looks promising, at least a step in the right direction! I think I'll e-mail the author, he should know how possible it is to do what I want.

walee
01-23-2004, 07:05 PM
Fuzion: that looks like a good idea ... you should try doing a search on the 3DSMAX discreet forum in the maxscript section or even post your request there.

if you ever find something relevant let me know I would be quite interested too ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.