PDA

View Full Version : How do I make textures to put on a gun ?

mug
06-25-2002, 03:03 PM
Hi

I've just finished modelling a gun and I want to put some textures on it whats the best way to go about it ?

Thanks

leigh
06-26-2002, 07:47 PM
Well, that really depends on what kind of textures you want to put on it. :)
I presume you want it to look like metal?
Do you have some good reference pictures of metal?

mug
06-26-2002, 11:04 PM
Hi

Yeah I want to make it look like its made of metal. What do you mean by reference pictures ?. Sorry for being such a dumbass !

Thanks

leigh
06-27-2002, 10:53 AM
well, by reference pictures, I mean - do you have any images of the kind of metal that you would like your gun to look like?
You should never try and texture without reference images :surprised

Once you have pictures, then you have a clearer idea of what it is you want, as well as a good comparison for your own texture.
That way, you can work towards making your metal texture look like the metal in the image :)

mug
06-27-2002, 01:53 PM
Here is the reference picture, but how do I make textures that look like the ones in the picture ?

leigh
06-27-2002, 02:01 PM
Well, start off by just using Photoshop's eyedropper tool on that picture to select the different colours for each section, and then making that material's colour the same.
The play with the spec, ref and gloss settings until the surfaces begin to look similar.
Then, you can unwrap each section individually and paint your own details and stuff to them, and add those...
And eventually your gun will look cool! :D

FeatherFoot
12-10-2004, 12:14 PM
you can also learn to uvwrap. then you can use that picture as a texture. So then you have the gun.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.