PDA

View Full Version : Character: Sith Jedi

feeesh
01-21-2004, 11:12 PM
Hi everyone,

Ok, I admit it, Iím a Star Wars geek. Iím doing another Star Wars model but this is of my own design. I want to do a series of Low Poly Jedi of different sorts. I think the SW Universe is a great springboard for ideas, especially for Jedi Warriors. Here is a concept sketch for the Jedi I am going to do. He is definitely an evil Jedi, possibly a Sith Lord. So far, I only have the sketch scanned in to post. I have it about halfway done modeling. I will post some WIP shots of the lowpoly model this evening.

Iím not abandoning the Anakin model by any means, but I am currently trying to learn how to break apart the UV Maps so I can texture it and having some troubles (but thatís for another thread, heheh). But in the meantime, while Iím messing with that, I want to make sure I keep improving my modeling chops as well.

Hereís the concept sketch, C&C welcome, :-)
Oh, also, I was considering giving this guy Dreadlocks in the back (you an sorta see them sketched in light grey in the sketch below) but Im a unsure how to go about that as making multiple strands of dreadlocks hair would make a big jump in the poly count. Has anyone ever done something like dreadlocks on a low-poly character, or have any ideas how to go about it?

Thanks,

-Jason

http://www.jason-hall.net/3D/sithjedi1.jpg

Supervlieg
01-22-2004, 09:21 AM
Cool sketch. I think you should add the dreads. If you think modelling them will take to much poly's try planes with alpha's.

How about the color scheme.

feeesh
01-22-2004, 04:44 PM
OK, that's an idea, I will look into trying Dreads with Alphas.

Also, here is a screenshot of the wireframe so far.....

http://www.jason-hall.net/3D/jedi1_wire.jpg

feeesh
01-27-2004, 04:46 AM
Ok, been a few days since my last update here. I've finished off the body and such here. Most everything I want is implemented now except the dreads. I figure I'll use the alpha channel method as was suggested but am still a newbie (this being my second model ever) so I'm not sure how to go about that. I am looking into it but I'm unsure how I should shape the area for those, sans the raccoon tail thingy jetting from the back of his head, heheh.

Anyway, feel free to tear it up everyone. Lemme know what's bad and what's good and what I can do to improve it and get it game-ready!

-Jason

http://www.jason-hall.net/3D/jedi_dred.jpg

YerEvilTwin
01-27-2004, 08:06 AM
not bad on you second modle ever, but you anatomy is way off. You should spend some time learning about muscles and how they span the joints. Chins don't protrude beyond the nose. Learn about edge loops. Try geting a musule mag, It helped me.

Look up Martin Krol
http://ambient-whisper.cgcommunity.com/

AveryWare
01-28-2004, 02:08 AM
i think its not that bad for a start.

[content edited by mod - first warning]

work on the hands, i think u should go with a only two fingers (thumb and pointer) for this model, and group the others in to a single poly form

the cest is huge compared to the pelvis and legs work on that to.

SecretAgent
01-31-2004, 06:36 AM
Hey feeesh: you've got great concepting skills! Here is a great tutorial by "Poopinmymouth" that does a great job of showing how to model for low poly, I think it will help you out a lot. Check it out here: Modeling (http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/character_tutorial/character_process.htm)

Littleberu
01-31-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Eric22
Hey feeesh: you've got great concepting skills! Here is a great tutorial by "Poopinmymouth" that does a great job of showing how to model for low poly, I think it will help you out a lot. Check it out here: Modeling (http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/character_tutorial/character_process.htm)

I tried this tuts, but he goes way to fast and he is hard to follow. I just don't know how he did the mouth area and such beside : "I cutted the way trough the model and blah blah blah".

SecretAgent
01-31-2004, 05:52 PM
well, I think poop's tutorial is great. he may not show every little thing in detail but, for someone new to modeling for low poly, he does a great job of pointing out how to get started and shows great examples of how to layout verts for good results, which I agree with him on, to maximize what you have in getting a good shape and for animation purposes which a lot of modelers don't really pay attention to when creating low poly characters..

commy
01-31-2004, 05:57 PM
i always thought his stuff was too hi for low poly and too low for hi poly lol tho i guess sooner or later it will fit games better

Poopinmymouth
02-01-2004, 02:21 AM
hehehe, I thought my ears were ringing.

If you found the tutorial too fast, and the poly count too high, then try my video tute! with audio!

www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/video/head_modeling.zip

300 poly head

Also the reason for the tutorial to not be step by step ive gone over before, but ill type again.
The joan of arc tute is step by step, and everyone who follows the tutorial comes out with the EXACT same thing. people concentrate so hard on doing it exactly they most times dont learn the reasons they are doing said steps, so they are unable to repeat it on a new model that looks nothing like joan.

I made mine jump pretty far so you would have to experiment and figure out your own way. its more a walk through that encourages you to apply the theorys to your own model. if you have to have a step by step tutorial for everything you make, what happens when it comes time for you to model something that has no tutorial? you will be left high and dry.

That said I realize their are some people who are just beginning or would like to see my workflow step by step to learn methods and such, hence the reason for the above video. lemme know what you think of it when your done.

SammyB
02-01-2004, 02:26 AM
I downloaded your video tut the first time you posted it, a few months back, but when I tried to play it, it was all skewed and streched and basically unwatchable... o_O

The sound was fine though... :)

Got any ideas?

Poopinmymouth
02-01-2004, 02:27 AM
you need xvid codec

not divx

sound worked cause it was mp3

SammyB
02-01-2004, 02:37 AM
Thanks man, I've been wanting to watch it for some time now.

SecretAgent
02-01-2004, 05:07 AM
hey Poop, I hope you don't mind me posting a link to your tutorial (I've done that twice now, heh)? I just think that you've got a nice tutorial that explains some good methods for modeling in low poly (that and I'm a little lazy to explain things myself sometimes, lol).

Oh yeah, Feeesh, sorry for hijacking your thread here, heh.

feeesh
02-01-2004, 07:15 AM
Thx for the info everyone, and I have read Poop's tutorial before and it is definitely a great resource. Thanks for making that available. I actually ran across it in another post a couple weeks ago.

And no probs on hijacking the thread, it keeps it at the top of the list, :-) and it's a great tutorial so nothing wrong with advertising it as much as possible for us newbies. Hadn't seen the video anyway, so I'll check it out tomorrow.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I thought I'd post an update here. Didn't get much of a chance to work on it over the last week but did quite a bit on it today. Lots of tweaking, especially with anatomy as it was pretty rough and odd in alot of spots. Granted the character is extroardinarily skinny (being an evil Sith Jedi and a body looking like he's half dead) and while I do agree with the point about the chin sticking out too far, it was intentional on this one as you can see in the concept sketch as well.

I worked on his posture some more too as it was pretty straight up and down like a pole, unlike the s-curve a human body has naturally. And definted his musculature a bit more in spots as well but most of that will be in the skin of course. And also added geometry around areas where there will be joints and stretching and folding when rigged.

Let me know what you think, it helps alot and I appreciate all the advice!

-Jason

http://www.jason-hall.net/3D/jedi_scrn_1.jpg

feeesh
02-05-2004, 06:56 AM
Ah, the life of a modeler, endless tweaking.............heheh

Doesnt seem like Ive done a ton of progress probably but Ive just been circling around the model tweaking little bits endlessly, getting it closer and closer to a good looking body mesh.

Haven't heard from anyone on here in awhile. Lemme know what y'all think! Need input! heheh

-Jason

http://www.jason-hall.net/3D/jedi_revised_5.jpg

Poopinmymouth
02-05-2004, 01:41 PM
anatomy is looking really solid, mesh too, but its nowhere near as dynamic as your concept. See if you can get it to more closely match that of your concept

commy
02-05-2004, 02:10 PM
hes lost his funk :( get it back asap! hes way too rigid loosen him up more

feeesh
02-05-2004, 05:05 PM
haha, you're right, he's lost the funk. He looks waaay too healthy and non-evil right now, heheh.

Actually now that I have the anatomy alot more solid I can go in and tweak stuff like that alot more. Move some stuff around and get it to match the concept more. That'll be tonight's project, ;-).

Should have another update hopefully tonight, if not then definitely Friday night as Ill have a nice late night to work on it without having to worry about getting up for work!

Beaneh
02-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Since your concepts rock and your models don't really resemble the cool-ness of the concept have you concidered drawing a front/side profile for your model?

feeesh
02-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I did that with my last model, but was trying it out without this time, but I think it's too early in the game to jump into doing it freehand so it'd probly be a good idea to jsut buckle down and draw that up!

Thx for the words on the concept art though, glad you like the stuff!

-Jason

iwishforroot
02-05-2004, 10:56 PM
looks like his abs are flat if u look at him at a side view. additionally make the pants a little more baggy like ur concept.

pseudoBug
02-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Looks good. Keep going, and post up that progress!

feeesh
02-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Thanks, yeah I had some computer problems this last week so I wasn't able to work on the model as I had though. Got it running better now though so Im hoping to get in some modeling time this coming weekend.

I also ran out of space to post more screenshots on my web hosting service through my ISP, so I went ahead and got the ball rolling on my own webspace and domain. Now up at www.jason-hall.net (http://www.jason-hall.net). Nothing there but a landing page so far but it'll be up within the month. PLus I have 1 gig of space for pics so I wont run out now, woohoo! heheh.

-Jason

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.