PDA

View Full Version : OT: 5ghz cpu up and running using liq. nitrogen

nobrain
01-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Hey some tech hedz put this monster together to break the 5Ghz speed barrier.
Enjoy. http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031230/5ghz-11.html

samartin
01-21-2004, 08:52 PM
ermmm mentallists spring to mind :eek:....

Cararan
01-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Thats a crazy project, getting to play with liquid nitrogen. I would love to do that. :buttrock: :buttrock:

Icarus
01-21-2004, 10:33 PM
omg i want one.

:P

erilaz
01-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Now that's HARDCORE!:buttrock:

Layer01
01-21-2004, 11:49 PM
NOw that is the L337est set up 3v3r! Largo would be pleased....

chadtheartist
01-22-2004, 01:37 AM
I'm surprised there hasn't been much more of these types of concepts being explored. I remember back when I bought my first G3 (350 mhz) back in 1998, and some company in Europe had a liquid cooled gadget that would cool the processor down enough for it to reach speeds up to 1 Ghz. I think it's sad it took Apple, almost four years, and another processor generation to match that speed.

Anywho, this is neat. :D

TheGreenGiant
01-22-2004, 01:41 AM
that's pretty amazing. Maybe all computing personnels should move to iceland or the poles where its perennially cold to get cpu speeds up.

Imagine that. Basing Weta/ILM/DD/PDI's renderfarms all up there.

flipnap
01-22-2004, 03:23 AM
jeez.. im gonna dip my head in a bucket of that and get some work done!!! seriously, that is awesome!!!

elvis
01-22-2004, 04:07 AM
No stability tests, no benchmarks, no screenshots of real applications running.

I can get my Athlon 2400+ to boot at and display WCPUID/CPU-Z results at 2.6GHz. It won't be anywhere close to stable for more than 10 minutes though.

Another bullshit stunt from Tom's to attract a bit of attention.

gabe28
01-22-2004, 04:54 AM
hehe... yeah, well, in 18 short months (moore's calander year) we'll have 5 gigahurts without liquid nitrogen and all the troublesome ice crystals.... then again, is it me or has moores 18 month cycle been falling behind lately? Seems like cpus have been hovering just over the 3 gig mark for a while now. Is silicon really reaching the 'end of the road'? Will we all soon be forced to use ludacris cooling solutions to get faster cpu speeds. Hell, that already seems to be the case with the new Macs and their super array of fans and wind tunnels they have built into the towers.

At any rate, cool experiment.... no pun intended.

nobrain
01-22-2004, 02:13 PM
I don't know if its a marketing sham to attract attention to tom's site, but it would seem to me that if you got any of todays cpus to climb to the 5ghz mark even if its just for a minute, you've made some headway, come on man! its overclocking by like 2 ****ing whole gigahertz, that in itself is an accomplishment. How long it stands running, I don't think they mentioned that, but at -196 degrees celsius, I'm guessing indefinetly.

flipnap
01-22-2004, 02:16 PM
No stability tests, no benchmarks, no screenshots of real applications running.

yeah i dont think that if this is indeed real you would see much in the way of apps running.. this would be a heavy handed, shortlived experiment.. kinda like a rocket car breaking the sound barrier to set a ground speed record on the salt flats.. you prolly wont find a radio in that car..

Thalaxis
01-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by gabe28
then again, is it me or has moores 18 month cycle been falling behind lately?

Nope... you just have the common misunderstanding of Moore's
Law. It's not related to clock speed... it's transistor budgets.

Look at the sizes of the caches that Intel and AMD are shipping in
desktop parts, not to mention the gargantuan caches that Intel
has on their $4000 Itanium2 flagship models.

Joss
01-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Now, with all that ice on the motherboard, wouldn't the damn thing fry?

Am I missing something here?

JA-forreal
01-22-2004, 07:30 PM
Hehe. This test was almost useless for all real intended computing purposes. Hehe. But it's all about pushing stuff to the limit, so who cares. That's where the fun is in hardware overclocking.

nobrain
01-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by JA-forreal
Hehe. This test was almost useless for all real intended computing purposes. Hehe. But it's all about pushing stuff to the limit, so who cares. That's where the fun is in hardware overclocking.

If you've got the money to burn why not. I would. Looks like a ton of fun.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.