PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle: Dropship

andrewley
01-21-2004, 07:24 PM
I think the texture work is about 40% done. Could use some suggestions on what I should add etc.

Crits welcome

Cheers

http://andrewley.250free.com/Dropship01.jpg

madinjulo
01-21-2004, 08:09 PM
wouaw nice work and nice details

madinjulo
01-21-2004, 08:10 PM
wouaw nice work i like the details

SecretAgent
01-22-2004, 03:29 AM
I love the design and the textures are very slick and clean like something from Metal Gear Solid2! Do those wings on the side fold down parallel with the body?

LordDubu
01-22-2004, 03:40 AM
I absolutely love this. Really great design.

andrewley
01-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Cheers madinjulo

Eric22- Yes the two wings/engines on the side can rotate independently for extreme manouvers.

Lord Dubu- Cheers

Supervlieg
01-22-2004, 10:55 AM
Nice design. I like it. It kind of reminds me of the dropship in the aliens movie.

Now add more detail with dirt, metal plates, bolts and sratches.

LordDubu
01-22-2004, 04:27 PM
I was thinking less "Aliens" and more "Spirits Within". But that's not an insult, because despite it's disasterous plot, i thought the ship designs in "Spirits Within" were among the best I've ever seen.

p.s. Andrew, you asked what suggestions we'd make. I'd say ding it up a little. It's too perfect, no scratches, no hull markings, no scoring... make it a little dirty. Nothing looks that "Show room floor"

andrewley
01-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Cheers Supervlieg

Lord Dubu - I'm gonna add dirt and scratches after i've put the main details in.

http://andrewley.250free.com/toprender.jpg

http://andrewley.250free.com/bottomrender2.jpg

andrewley
01-24-2004, 12:01 AM
I've just started creating the animation controls for the dropship model. I thought it would be cool if the controls actually resembled aircraft controls. So I've made a joystick that controls the engines which in turn effects the orientation of the Dropship. There is also a lever that lowers the landing gear. The idea is that my final animation rig will look like a cockpit, so animating will be like flying the craft.

Another cool thing is I can put a minature version of the rig into the cockpit and have the pilot literally drive the dropship.

All the controls work via Maya's set driven keys and it works really well.

I think this is a neat way of animating. Has anyone done this before? I mean create a rig that actually looks like the controls its simulating.

BurrowingDuck
01-24-2004, 12:05 AM
haha. that sounds awesome but it doesnt really matter unfortunately :P . really great texturing. I love paintjobs like this on vehicles!

LordDubu
01-24-2004, 12:09 AM
Spooooooooooon!

Now, that you've posted the additional views, I am a little concerned from a mechanical point of view about the vehicle's plausibility.

From what I can see, forward motion here, would be happening with the wings in the upward position, and VTOL would be done with them horizontal...

This means that during forward movement, it would burn a lot of unnecessary fuel competing with drag on those upright arms...

andrewley
01-24-2004, 12:19 AM
BurrowingDuck your right it wont make a bit of difference to the animation, but its still cool right!

Lord Dubu - DAMN YOU! Years of development gone to waste!

So the thing probably wouldn't be able to take off, but it still looks cool right?

To be honest the thought behind those tall engines is that they are antigrav type engines (I call them Negative G Drives). Thats also what the glowing disc thing on the tail is (only a smaller version) to provide stability.

The thrusters merely provide direction and slow the thing down etc.

LordDubu
01-24-2004, 12:21 AM
Style before substance man! It looks cool, so it's correct. Art after all can hold a giant teacup in place!

andrewley
01-25-2004, 12:49 AM
btw does ne1 know what kind of poly budget vehicles have in games these days?

I'm thinking of models like the Halo Pelican and tank etc.

My model is still under 2000 tri, but I might add weapons and stuff.

mv
01-25-2004, 12:59 AM
Very nice design and modeling. I see some nice influences of FF:SW 's ships and WH40K Tau vehicles. About the textures, subtle color variations and scratches would look cool. A bit too clean atm imo. Keep it up!

andrewley
01-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Cheers m@

FFSW was a definate inspiration, as was Evangelion and Halo.

Havn't sen the Tau vehicles you mentioned though so I might check those out later.

Everyone has suggested that I add scratches etc but I'm having a hard time achieving the look I'm after.

Are there any good tutorials for dirtying up your textures.

LordDubu
01-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Don't look at the Tau vehicles. All true children of the emperor know that the Tau are an abomination, and have no place in the imperium. When the Dark Angels reclaim thier place, the first heretics to be destroyed will be the Tau with thier blasphemy doctrine of "diplomacy".

andrewley
01-25-2004, 09:07 PM
Mental Note - Lord Dubu has issues.

SecretAgent
01-26-2004, 02:06 AM
>>Lord Dubu: I am sorry to inform you but, the might of the Space Wolves will reign supreme!!!

Frank Dodd
01-26-2004, 01:33 PM
Very nice work on this dropship, the geometry is very clean cut and stylish obviously the texturing needs lots more work, the detail added into the model by the texture works well but it will be interesting to see what the final model looks like.

I think the number of polys really does depend on where and how your going to use it, if its part of a RT cutscene, you can go expensive, if its a prop detail for flying about in the sky more economical.

Cracking job so far.

gaggle
01-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Would you like to show a few screenies from this rig you mentioned? It sounds pretty interesting. I haven't tried something like that meself, but.. hell it sounds pretty cool :).

or, uh, of course an .mb/.ma file wouldn't suck either, but I don't know your attitude towards sharing the sourcefiles. Maybe as a PM?

LordDubu
02-01-2004, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by andrewley
Mental Note - Lord Dubu has issues.

Sorry, it was a reaction to selling my entire 40K collection to pay the bills this month. It won't happen again.

(for some reason, every one of my subscribed threads went unsubscribe last week... going back through and resubscribing)

SecretAgent
02-01-2004, 06:03 AM
OMG!!!! You sold your entire 40k collection!? That's truly sad to hear, I don't think I could ever part ways w/my armies. I've been waiting to get a job so I can start playing again - it's been a couple years since I last played and really miss that fun.

Neil
02-01-2004, 08:24 PM
is that cell shaded rendered, or did you actually do all that with just the textures?

I like it a lot. Really cool 'feel' to it.

andrewley
02-03-2004, 12:35 AM
Cheers Neil, I'm not sure why you think its cell shaded...but its not.

I've used bump and colour maps for the texture.

Neil
02-03-2004, 03:37 AM
I ask b/c the highlights have very sharp edges, giving it that cell shaded look. Doesn't really matter either way, just curious.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.