PDA

View Full Version : matrix text effect plug?

anthonymcgrath
06-25-2002, 12:04 PM
anyone know a nice plugin that will shuffle through text characters so I can create that lovely matrix text effect at the end of the film? I thought about panopticum animatext but are there any others? I could always animate it but...deadlines! :-/

sinistergfx
06-25-2002, 07:48 PM
If I recall correctly AE Free Mart has a tutorial on a matrix like effect: http://www.aefreemart.com

moovieboy
07-12-2002, 11:07 PM
Hope I'm not too late to reply here, Anthony!

Elements of Anarchy Text from Digital Anarchy does a perfect Matrix look and much more... all for $79! They also have other very cheap plug-ins that are excellent :)

Digital Anarchy's Site (http://www.digitalanarchy.com)

-Tom

anthonymcgrath
07-15-2002, 08:36 AM
spot on! cheers matey!
:airguitar

boomji
07-19-2002, 09:32 AM
hey dudes,
since we're on the topic,any one one pulled off the bullets wirring past effect with any success???
i'd like to see any avi's if poss.
thanx
b

Ryan-B
07-21-2002, 11:20 PM
There was a description of how the "bullet wake" effect was done in Cinefex #79.

From Cinefex:
"Prop bullets provided by production were scanned, then mapped onto digital geometry by Manex. Like the bullets themselves, rings of color surrounding each slug's wake were computer generated. Deformation of the 3D background created the wake effect, which was enhanced with 2D refractive and reflective effects and a filter that further warped the background."

moovieboy
07-22-2002, 07:52 AM
:eek: Ouch! Damn, Ryan. That avitar of yours has cracked my computer screen! :eek:

-Tom

boomji
07-22-2002, 06:21 PM
hey dude,
thanx a lot,cinefex is as expensive as hell here :(
one thing though...they said that the 3d environment was deformed ???.
is that the same as saying the discs were 3d and their matte was tweaked in post...or something totally diffrent.
thanx anyway...a lot.
b

Ryan-B
07-22-2002, 10:15 PM
They don't give an exact step-by-step description of the process. The bullets were done in 3D. The discs could be done in 3D or 2D, since they are essentially flat shapes. You could apply some sort of space warp/deformation in the 3D program, or use some sort of mesh warp in 2D. There's lots of ways you could do it and get a similar look.

I'm re-reading the article, so if I find anymore relevant information, I'll post it here.

Oh, by the way Tom... DON'T MAKE FUN OF MY AVATAR OR SHE WILL KISS YOU!

moovieboy
07-22-2002, 11:14 PM
<----- Puting on lip block with spf 3000 :argh:

Ryan-B
07-23-2002, 12:45 AM
After re-reading the article, there is some more in-depth information.

From Cinefex:
"Without even realizing what he is doing or just how fast he is doing it, Neo doges the incoming bullets- in another bullet-time moment- before Trinity dispatches the agent with a point-blank round. Dan Rosen's slow-motion bullets were based on the idea of a refractive glass object moving through space and tearing into the fabric of the Matrix. "The bullets started out as a 3D project," Rosen recalled, "but later I decided to scan the hero bullets provided by production, then map those images onto bullet geometry. This approach was fast and let us move on to attaining the correct level of reflectivity and ensuring the highlights were all there."
Utilizing the Maya renderer and deformation of background 3D geometry to produce a heavily refractive component, Rosen created bullet wakes that featured the heat-haze look. "A lot of the refraction and reflection were done in 2D," Rosen said. "We would warp a section of the background with a filter. Then we wanted colored rings in the outer fringe of the bullet wake- an effect that bled and blended into the warp. That was a one-pass operation handled by the technical director Gill Barron. The rings then went back on top of the wake to produce a final that waws very close to the look everyone thought was cool in the original storyboards." Unfortunately, for frames in which the camera was passing through the back side of a bullet wake, the computer had difficulty rendering the colored rings and maps. "The system couldn't decide whether the wake was there or not- with a computer, something is either there or it isn't. We kept getting render errors and weird artifacts when these rings hit the camera- sometimes the image would turn upside down. Ultimately we were able to program a dissolve to glide over the pass-through moment."

That typing class in highschool just paid off.

anthonymcgrath
07-23-2002, 08:36 AM
hey is there a website for cinefex? I've bought a couple o issues I've seen lying about but I'd love to subscribe esp. with matrix2 on its way out, thats meant to have effects you'll never see repeated again simply because its stoopid!

Ryan-B
07-23-2002, 05:22 PM
Cinefex is worth every penny. I've swiped more stuff from it than I can even remember.

www.cinefex.com

boomji
07-23-2002, 06:27 PM
hey dude,
thanx again.../b kisses avatr :)
man and i thaught all these big boys dont run into many problems.programming it seams is the way out 70% of the time :(
hmmm... what if they made the final matrix watchable with those 3d galsses or on a imax.just a thaught.
b

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.