PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! whare to START??!!!

svdf
06-25-2002, 10:42 AM
lightwave is a wonderful program! but it is so good that i don't know where to start, i want to learn modeling, but a head tutorial is to difficoult i think, so the only things i have done with lightwave so far is playing with light, particle fx, and motion designer... and i started making a hand, but i didn't come further than one finger...

PELASE tell me, where to start? i mean... you started somewhere didn't you? :shrug:

UCH

yog
06-25-2002, 11:41 AM
My best advice would be instead of practicing by doing little exercises for each tool, pick a project, car, human head, your home, etc and keep at it untill you finish it. You'll find you use a lot of different tools in combination with each other and each project will involve a lot of problem solving which is invaluable for learning. If you just spend a couple hours seeing what happens when you spin the dials on the particle FX pannel, then your not getting the full learning potential. If on the other hand you want to use a particle emitter to produce smoke coming out of the chimney on your newly built house, then the amount of brain wracking involved in trying to produce a specific effect will burn the tools controls into your brain better than just playing at spinning dials.

My very first model was a simple six polygon cube, my second model was a WWII gun battery, including 3 circular concrete gun emplacements with and underground magazine store complete with vaulted roof for a local archealogical society. It was 2 weeks of shear hell, but by the end of it I knew a hell of a lot more about the program than when I started. Somethings I didn't even know if it was possible until I tried it.

Nebelis
06-25-2002, 12:13 PM
Hi. So you want to know where to start...well first of all you should start on some basic tutorials from the net. Next I'd recommend on getting a good book such as Inside Lightwave 7 by Dan Ablan or the user manual that comes with Lightwave. Next just play play play. It's a good idea to start with some simple objects and then work your way through more difficult ones. Try making a box. press n. change the qualities and the numeric values of the box. Then start extruding. Extrude and smooth shift. Scale roatate and move. start playing around. Then hit "Tab". Just take the modeling program and build up from simplicity...Good Luck.:)

svdf
06-25-2002, 02:21 PM
ok thanx, so what do you all think is the best book? (for a reasonable price ;) and do you think i can get one in holland?

and do you have favorite tuts?

and (yeah i'm sorry so much questions...:D ) what's your favorite way of modeling something like a head? because i've seen sub-patch, nurbs and things with just drawing points and connecting them and so on...

Joril
06-25-2002, 03:47 PM
This link is very valuable for beginning lightwavers.
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

On the head modelling, I'd suggest you try every method out there to see what suits you best.
For example, the orc (my first model) you see in my avatar was done using splines, after autopatching I added more detail in polygon-subpatch mode. This method works although it's quite slow. But I learned alot through it.
Remember, practice makes perfect :D

damon579
06-25-2002, 09:19 PM
hey man,

im brand new to lw as well. i rescently got the "inside lightwave 7" book. im on chapter 2, and from the looks of it, this book is going to be a great tool. i would definately suggest this book, as did most of the people on this board when i asked the same question you did a couple of weeks back ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.