PDA

View Full Version : - OT: Nintendo DS is Coming & (Nintendo's New Machine! Nintendo DS! )

CIM
01-21-2004, 07:37 AM
A new portable game system in the works:

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/january04/nintendods/

Supervlieg
01-21-2004, 07:43 AM
Hmm, interesting. I would have to see the games for this. I feel this is kinda like an experiment in the way some other nintendo product were. Lets see if they can pull it off with some great games and round it off with nicely designed casing.

One main problem I see here is that humans can only focus on one screen at a time. So basically one screen is always useless at a time. It kinda reminds me of the connectivity between the cube and the gameboy.

AnimBot
01-21-2004, 08:11 AM
While it's always great to have more handheld hardware out there this apears to be a little gimmicky to me. I guess we will have to wait and see what the system's really all about.

RobertoOrtiz
01-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Quote:
"The company's mystery machine is in fact a dual-screened portable game device that is entirely separate from both the GameCube and the Game Boy Advance. It will be marketed completely free of its sister hardware. It's called Nintendo DS for Nintendo Dual-Screen.
Nintendo DS features two connected 3-inch backlit TFT LCD display panels, and two separate processors. The device features an Arm9 main processor and an Arm7 sub processor.

The portable will not use GameCube optical disc or Game Boy Advance cartridge based media. Instead, it will play software on semiconductor memory of up to 1 Gigabit, according to the manufacturer

Nintendo explains the importance of the dual-screen setup: "Players can look forward to being able to manage their game progress from two different perspectives, enhancing both the speed and strategy of the challenge. For example in a soccer game, users can view the whole game on one screen while simultaneously focusing on an individual soccer player's tackle or goal on the other screen.

"Players will no longer be forced to interrupt game play to shift perspective, such as moving from a wide shot to a close up, or alternating between a character's ongoing battle and a map of the environment. Nintendo DS makes it possible to perform the tasks in real time by simply glancing from one screen to the other."

"

>>link<< (http://cube.ign.com/articles/473/473998p1.html)

-R

nerdhen
01-21-2004, 02:10 PM
sounds confusing to me...unless you can use both screens as one disply!

procoprio
01-21-2004, 02:37 PM
I smell virtual boy flop :surprised

Supervlieg
01-21-2004, 02:45 PM
uhm, check this thread on this very same page

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117144

RobertoOrtiz
01-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Ok I have merged the threads....

-R

kemijo
01-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Gimmicky? This is back to the old school days!

Nintendo had a slew of multi-screen games years before the NES was released. They were all called "Game & Watch", which is where the character of the same name in Smash Brothers Melee comes from. I always loved those dual screen games, and now it seems they are bringing them back with the current advances in gaming. :bounce:

I think this is going to be very cool. I only wish it was backward compatible, but there's no way that will happen...right?

heavyness
01-21-2004, 03:24 PM
maybe they will give you those 3d stereo glasses and you can play games in 3d space?

this surprised me. a new handheld system already from nintendo. i'm guessing they are using this to counter the PSP. who knows, i'll judge it when i get my hands on it.

Supervlieg
01-21-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by kemijo
Gimmicky? This is back to the old school days!

Nintendo had a slew of multi-screen games years before the NES was released. They were all called "Game & Watch", which is where the character of the same name in Smash Brothers Melee comes from. I always loved those dual screen games, and now it seems they are bringing them back with the current advances in gaming. :bounce:

I think this is going to be very cool. I only wish it was backward compatible, but there's no way that will happen...right?

I think game and watch double screen things of back in the days were kinda gimmicky as well. The extra screen was just an excuse not to use scrolling backgrounds but increase the playing space. When the gameboy came with scrolling games the dual screens were suddenly outdated. So it's kind of reverse engineering while updating the system specs. I feel it wont really stand a chance against the psp.

I hope they will also come with a more powerfull followup to the gameboy with a low pricepoint. That's the only thing that can keep sony from dominating the handheld market with the psp. Dont forget: The playstation got of on a slow start due to the high price but eventually gained territory because of the price being lowered and the games library increase. The same could only happen to the psp.

Bulldog
01-21-2004, 03:37 PM
game watches rocked ! i used to play donkey kong and green panic (or something) all day and night.

Wanggo
01-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Why not make one big screen instead of two small ones???

Game-boi
01-21-2004, 06:25 PM
The Nintendo DS is NOT the next Gameboy (ie the DS is not meant to be a compete with the PSP).

Early last year there were rumors of Nintendo developing something outside of the traditional console and handheld markets. Then Nintendo made an official statement saying that they were working on three different pieces of hardware: A Gamecube successor, A Gameboy successor, and something else that they didn't talk feel like talking about.

Both the Gamecube and Gameboy successors have yet to be revealed. I would bet that we'll hear about or see these, along with the DS, at E3.

This does have the chance to be VERY Virtualboy like, but since when has Nintendo made things like any other company?

-Chris

DePingus
01-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Game-boi
The Nintendo DS is NOT the next Gameboy (ie the DS is not meant to be a compete with the PSP).
. . . . . . . . .

This does have the chance to be VERY Virtualboy like, but since when has Nintendo made things like any other company?

-Chris

Unfortunately everone will see it as competition for the psp. Also, can Nintendo really afford another VirtuaBoy incident? Back when VB came out Nintendo was at the top of its game...not so much now days. They might not recover from another failed product.

raz-0
01-21-2004, 08:33 PM
It's a portable, if it has a way to remove the game media, it will be seen as a GBA competitor, and will compete for the same dollars PSP will.

THe only thing I can thik of where having two screens like that may be useful would be for trying to bring RTS games to the handheld market.

You could have the owrld map on one screen, and the up close managing combat map on another screen. Thus avoiding the horrific interface problems you can currently face trying to make an RTS play nice with a joypad and 4 buttons. BUt I'll admit, even that is a gimmicky stretch.

I smell flop, if not financial suicide. GBA is their money maker, doing harm to it would be bad.

bentllama
01-21-2004, 08:47 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/nervx/nintendods.jpg

AJ
01-21-2004, 11:38 PM
Bent - you force me to post this...

http://www.moonjam.com/temp/bonnetllama.jpg

:p

kwshipman
01-21-2004, 11:54 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA:love:

you should wear that to the Seattle meetup so we can spot you.

chadtheartist
01-22-2004, 01:55 AM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Those pics are great! I don't know if either is close to the truth however. Heh

I wouldn't say Nintendo has done the brightest thing with this DS thingy. I can see them encorporating a technology like the eReader cards, or maybe even downloadable games or something. But IMO, 128 MB for games is either a) Designed to hold a ton of info for many small games, or b) a lot of space to hold one large game.

I think the real question is where is the market for this thing going to be? Obviously it looks to be a competitor for the GBA, or what if it's just an extension for the Gamecube, kind of like how the GBA can be used now?

What I fear now is the next main console system, following the Gamecube, might be something even more obscure than this!

All I know is I'm not interested in this device. The GBA seems to fit fine for me, so why develop a different handheld? Not unless it's 3D, but for some reason I seriously doubt it is.

TheGreenGiant
01-22-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by chadtheartist
But IMO, 128 MB for games is either a) Designed to hold a ton of info for many small games, or b) a lot of space to hold one large game.

That 128MB for games works a bit differently on a cartridge. Its normally about 8meg on a PC. I don't know the exact science but that's it. The biggest games on the GBA, like Final Fantasy Tactics are 128MB but they would only take up 8megs of space.

I would agree with Bent on this product, it sounds like a terrible idea, a huge gimmick and its only going to dilute focus from the SP and also their next handheld which should would go up against the PSP.

chadtheartist
01-22-2004, 02:41 AM
1 Gigabit = 1024 Megabits. And 1 Megabyte = 8 Megabits. That means 1 Gigabit = 128 Megabytes.

I already did the conversion for you. 1 Gb = 128 MB, meaning the Nintendo DS has 128 Megabytes of semiconductor memory.

Quick reference:

Gb = Gigabit

GB = Gigabyte

Mb = Megabit

MB = Megabyte

SheepFactory
01-22-2004, 02:44 AM
what are they smoking over at nintendo. Whats the point of competing with their own product?

I really like nintendo and want to see them succeed but looks like they have their mind set on making another big mistake.

chadtheartist
01-22-2004, 02:56 AM
Sorry for spamming but this is funny!

Official Picture of the new DS: :rolleyes:

http://www.nformant.net/DS.jpg

And Microsoft's new 20,000 screen Xboy DSS

http://www.bollywoodscreensavers.com/wallpapers/movies/imgs/matrix_reloaded18.jpg

HAR HAR HAR!!!!

jStins
01-22-2004, 10:23 AM
LOL Funny stuff guys :beer:

Fluckrat
01-22-2004, 10:45 AM
If you ask me, you're all being waaaay too cynical, waaaay too early.

There has to be more to this IMO. Credited, Nintendo has made a couple of blunders in the past, but I don't think they're that naive as to release a product that will dilute the value of their other products. They stated that it won't anyway.

Are you guys saying that they don't know their own business? Like they're the console manufacturing equivalent of some big run-away truck with a madman at the wheel?

Let's wait and see what the 'aaaaah - now I get it!' factor is.

Supervlieg
01-22-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Fluckrat

Are you guys saying that they don't know their own business? Like they're the console manufacturing equivalent of some big run-away truck with a madman at the wheel?

There was definitaly some screws loose with some people when they decided to release the world dominating console that was the virtual boy.

Spankspeople
01-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Yeah, and since the Virtual Boy Nintendo has released failed system after failed system. It's obvious that they'll never ever learn from their mistakes. *rolls eyes*

If Sega can last through the Gamegear, the SegaCD, the 32X and the Saturn well enough to still release the Dreamcast, I think that Nintendo can manage a hiccup per decade. And for starters, all we know about the new system so far is that it has two screens. OHMYGOD! Two screens! They're RUINED!

I pulled a monitor out of the trash once and hooked it up to my computer as sort of a joke. It's squashed vertically, the colours are awful and every now and then the screen starts flickering violently, but I don't think I'd be able to live without my second monitor now. Hell, that's what made the Dreamcast so cool to play Resident Evil on. I didn't have to go into my menu to check my health, it was right there on my VMU.

I say wait for more details than just the number of screens before you start declaring Nintendo the biggest joke in gaming history... If Nintendo says that it's not meant to compete with the successor to the GBA, they're probably not just going to release a GBA with two screens... They may have released the Virtual Boy way back when(which actually had some good games on it too), but in two decades, eight out of nine ain't a bad record.

Oh wait... Nintendo is dying, isn't it?

AJ
01-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Spankspeople
Oh wait... Nintendo is dying, isn't it?

Which means technincally, it'll be Nintendead...

:blush: :p

Anyway, Nintendo make me happy - a lot. So that's good. :D

NanoGator
01-22-2004, 08:17 PM
Heh. Cute images. ;)

I can't say I understand why people are crying "Virtual Boy" here. Nor do I understand the negativity in general about this system. Having dual monitors here at work, I'm enthusiastically looking forward to seeing what they're going to do with the system.

Supervlieg
01-22-2004, 09:34 PM
New pictures of the Nintendo DS released!

This just in:

http://www.bolman.nl/classic_nintendo_ds.jpg

NanoGator
01-22-2004, 09:38 PM
:rolleyes:

Funny thing is, considering most of us work with multiple viewports in our 3D apps, im surprised it's not a more popular thought here.

heavyness
01-22-2004, 11:09 PM
"Funny thing is, considering most of us work with multiple viewports in our 3D apps, im surprised it's not a more popular thought here."

AMEN to that! i was wondering why more pc games haven't had any dual monitor support. most nvidia cards have the dual out, why not throw it in as an extra bonus. even if its as simple as throwing the rankings/standings of a FPS, or imagine a RTS with the whole map taking up BOTH monitors.

a while back, nintendo said they will be introducing a new way of playing games. this might catch on and we might see this more and more. games like Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga shows us two characters working together. now image splitting the two characters up on differed screens and able to controller both, both helping each other out [flipping switches to open doors for the other person]...

the only confusing thing is that it wont play with the gamecube and gba. maybe it will work with the new nintendo system [N5] or maybe they trying to flood the handheld market so their only competition would be themselves? only time will tell.

Recursive
01-22-2004, 11:22 PM
the screens are going to be in a vertical layout. not horizontal.

(ruins the joke of the images if they are technicly flawed)

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200401/N04.0121.1808.42530.htm

and the game&watch with dualscreen vertical layout were great, I see no reason why this shouldnt be good aswell

Supervlieg
01-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by green86
(ruins the joke of the images if they are technicly flawed)...

Technically flawed? Did you notice at all the lack of color in the screen and the design like a brick? The joke is actually that it is technically flawed. But a vertical aligned design would have made it seem less like a old skool gameboy.

But me too would like to see the actual thing with games running on it before passing a real judgement on the thing.

HamsaPaksham
01-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Nintendo didnīt even released all the specifications and we are all criticizing! Cīom. Itīs a little bit early to judge.
In E3 we will se if the system is good or not.

Geta-Ve
01-23-2004, 01:36 PM
its never too early to pass judgement on nintendo... heh

something else though, that i was thinking of is that i suppose the DS isnt gonna be for children, because i mean kids have enough trouble concentraiting on one screen as it is, and now nintendo wants them to concentraite on TWO screens... but not to be pessimistic about this all, i would really love to see what the DS will look like, i never say no to a new piece of hardware.. and nintendo surely doesnt fail to surprise me.. so we can only wait and see

a few things that i can see that the DS might be good with is say a multiplayer game (cable link or the such) where you can view what your buddy is doing on the second screen and you see what your doing on the first screen, that way you and him will never get seperated, and this also takes away some of the annoying multiplayer faults that are seen in todays games, like you have to wait for you buddy to catch up with you to move on to the next area, or if your buddy is out of the screen too long you both DIE!!! lol

another way i can see this is work is in rpg's menu system on the left and playing on the right.. would work alright.. there are a few possibilities out there for a system like this, but to me for the most part i think nintendo is really pushing it.. but i mean someone has to come along and do this sort of thing now that sega is out of the picture.. lol

all in all though you cant say nintendo isnt brave...:thumbsup:

bentllama
01-23-2004, 03:17 PM
I just heard from an insider that the DS will be very nGaging...

Supervlieg
01-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by bentllama
I just heard from an insider that the DS will be very nGaging...

What? You have to take the thing apart to insert a new game or can you use it to make a phonecall?

chadtheartist
01-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Don't tell me Nintendo is releasing a Cell phone!

Anyway, I'm not really critiquing the DS yet. I'm just having some fun with the possibilities of it. There's no telling what this device will be, and until Nintendo decides to show us what it is and what it does, all we have is our imagination to go on. :D

Shade01
01-23-2004, 05:28 PM
I always thought Nintendo would make a BOATLOAD of cash if they licensed their gameboy technology to cellphone companies.

danydrunk
01-24-2004, 07:23 PM
I think after the initial shock, people are now starting o realize of the potential of this machine, if nintendo deliver the machine so the dual screens can be fully taken advatage of, if they can separate this thing from the gameboy advanced and gamecube, to make people realize its a different thing, it really has a lot of potential, ive seen, hundreds of ideas for new games across boards, and they havent even announced how the control scheme will be or the final especifications, In my own point of view, i dont think this is destined to be another Virtual boy, couse virtual boy was build upon the premise of new graphics, not gameplay, instead this thing is being built around gameplay not visuals, I know there is still a lot t know about this new machine, but i do think it has a future, And already there has been comments from publishers that this could turn out really interesting!!!
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/474/474812p1.html"
As someone else said in this thread i applaud nintendo for their guts
:applause:

Something tells me, i dont know maybe its just my imagination, but something tells me sony will have problems in the next generation, you cannot have good luck forever, ok they won with the playstation, then they won with the playstation 2.......dont you think its time for them to learn to suffer? maybe theyll screw in something, i dont know, lets see what happens, anyway if it wouldnt be for the xbox, playstation and nintendo this world would be less interesting !!!!!!

Tan
01-25-2004, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by danydrunk
sony will have problems in the next generation, you cannot have good luck forever

The PS3 will be huge! There's not much Nintendo can do in order to catch-up. The damage has been done, Nintendo = kiddie games, even if I don't agree with this idea, it made its mark.

raz-0
01-25-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by danydrunk
Something tells me, i dont know maybe its just my imagination, but something tells me sony will have problems in the next generation, you cannot have good luck forever, ok they won with the playstation, then they won with the playstation 2.......dont you think its time for them to learn to suffer?

Well, for one, if they make a good product, why should they suffer? Success isn't some gorunds for deserving punishment.

Second, I highly doubt PS3 will be their downfall. At worst, some of the design delays will force them to not be first to market with the next gen console.

If they are going ot have problem, it will be the PSP. If the $400 rumored MSRP going around is accurate, that's bad unless it is a serious step into the PDA arena more than the game arena or it will ahve a cell phone built in and get subsidized pricing like cell phones do. But $250 is the magic price, after that it becomes a serious investment in people's minds. If they are going "it's a portable movie player, portable music player, portable game player, and a basic organizer which would all run you $100 each then $400 is fair," well that has pretty much never worked with the consumer, and probably never will. Not on a large scale anyway. AT that price I see very few developers making anything unless they can just repackage PS1 or PS2 games for it as a very low effort thing.

danydrunk
01-25-2004, 07:00 AM
Im simply saying, it would make things a lot more interesting, if nintendo, or microsoft(though i dont want this to happen) beat sony, in the next consoles race, watching sony struggle for once would be cool, i really like things more now than before, now nintendo is at least trying to make an effort to understand the market, without sony this wouldnt have happen, also sony, needs the competition, to keep prices low and stuff.
I really think nintendo deserves to win the next console race, dont ask me how, or at least beat sony psp, i dont want nintendo to go the way of the do(sega)do, i think i would cry if this happens....................So i think what im saying is that its good we have 3 companies in the market, it makes things more interesting.

Sorry for my english as its not perfect

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.