PDA

View Full Version : Concept: canard plane

ub52
01-21-2004, 08:17 AM
After seeing a number of recent posts of plane models I was inspired to pull out some old sketches of mine from my RC days. The first image here is quick redraw in plan view of a sketch I did many years ago of a canard design. I used the stetches as a back drop in LW to create the model shown in the second image.

http://members.cox.net/rlandry52/sketch.jpg

And a test render.

http://members.cox.net/rlandry52/canard.jpg

-ub52

ASCIISkull
01-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Wow... Very impressive! I like the result you got from such a simple design. I dunno about the nose though- it seems a bit too droopy... still, I'm not one to talk...

mossou
01-21-2004, 09:11 AM
the flames give it such character! I want to see it take off:thumbsup:

Beamtracer
01-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Very nice. I'd like to fly in one of those!

The plane looks really good.
The Asphalt below is a bit contrasty, but I'm only being picky!

chikega
01-21-2004, 01:20 PM
Looks like the experimental aircrafts - Velocity, Cozy Mark IV, and such based on Rutan's designs in the '70's. Very cool design - even looks like the main body has somewhat of a body-lifting design (airfoil X-section). Only thing - I wouldn't want to land at a steep angle of attack or drop the nose too hard after flaring or risk scraping the nose cone - hehe:) Nice design though.

Private pilot,

AndrewE
01-21-2004, 02:35 PM
Right on man!

You should try to come up with some concept art for the cockpit, and then make it!

It would look super nice, you might want to try some HDR with a little radiosity.

Best of luck!

mokba
01-21-2004, 11:29 PM
That is beautiful! It really walks the line between sleekness and agressive speed demon. I agree AndrewE, you should do some cockpit concept work. mokba

ub52
01-22-2004, 12:15 AM
Wow, thanks for all compliments. I'm glad you like the design. Back 20 years ago when I was actively flying RC Sailplanes off the cliffs of La Jolla, I used to design, build and fly. I had a lot of fun doing that, though many a plane crashed and burned. I never did build this one. Don't know why. Oh ya, I recall that's about the time I met my wife, got married and started having kids.

ASCIISkull: Ya, I'm not sure how well the plane would survive landings with the nose droop like that. I'm not sure if it's even areodynamically sound. I just thought it looked cool that way.

mossou: Thanks for the compliment on the flames. Not sure if I will animate it or not.

Wanker: Ya, I've got to find some better asphalt images.

chikega: I love those experimentals. I live about 10 miles from an old military airfield where a lot of guys who fly these gather on the weekends. They pass right over my house on there way there, sometimes as many as six to ten of them at once all flying in formation.

AndrewE and mokba: The cockpit is skinned and I do plan to finish it off inside. It'll seat 2 people, pilot in front of the passenger. I'm currenlty gathering referrence material. I also plan to drop an engine in there and get the landing gear functional, that is have it be able to retract.

I'll post some other views tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers.
-ub52

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.