PDA

View Full Version : Flash Portfolio- Ideas and Thoughts

spin3
01-21-2004, 06:39 AM
I am working on making a new flash site, because I got tired of making my current one, and because I was tired I never posted any of my artwork.

I am not sure how much time I will have to work on it, so this thread might be kind of slow. But who knows, maybe I'll be working on the site like mad- kinda depends on how important i feel it is compared to my other work, but I'll definately be working on it every day.

Here is my start: Intro button, kind of like a power button to start up my whole site. I think I will also make it a power down button as well. Let me know what you think, and if you have any good ideas for design I'm all ears.

Power Button (http://willhoag.5u.com/Newsite/buttontest.html)

Ian Jones
01-21-2004, 08:27 AM
Nice power button. Looks a little dull at first but lights up well. May needs some shinyness or something a little extra that makes it look more 3D, especially at the start.

spin3
01-22-2004, 12:41 AM
Button sitll a little dull, but I added some and I changed how the button enters, as well as after clicked. What do you think of the extra stuff: Button (http://willhoag.5u.com/Newsite/buttontest2.html)

Ian Jones
01-22-2004, 05:16 AM
Thats more like it. Good job!

spin3
01-22-2004, 06:31 AM
update: some text and preloader. can't wait to start the menu, but I think I'll leave it simple.
link down

darkefire
01-22-2004, 06:42 AM
hah! i could click on that for days and not get bored!

spin3
01-23-2004, 06:44 AM
Update again. I am having so much fun making my site I can't stop, I'm like a machine.
button below

Ian Jones
01-23-2004, 07:37 AM
I can still only see the power button, with no noticeable changes... is that right?

spin3
01-23-2004, 08:53 PM
No, here try this link:
Newsite (http://www16.brinkster.com/lineportfolio/newsite/buttontest2.html)

spin3
01-24-2004, 04:15 AM
New update, let me know if you see the date and time on the upper right of the bars, I might have to choose a different font.
button down

Ian Jones
01-24-2004, 07:02 AM
Looking nice! keep up the good work. Definitely need to change that time font. It's barely legible. Also, the milliseconds is kind of a jittery irritation in the corner... maybe reconsider that.

One other thing, why don't you center the site on the screen?

Ian Jones
01-24-2004, 07:05 AM
arg... just noticed some other things.

You made a spelling mistake with 'Forums'.

It would be nice to justify the date & time text to the right to keep it neat and consistent with the other side of the menu.

gimmix
01-24-2004, 04:39 PM
boah this really looks cool !!

spin3
01-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I seem to always spell forums like that. Just sort of habbit, thanks for the keen eye. I had it on the right, but I just forgot to embed the font. It should be fixed now: Update (http://www16.brinkster.com/lineportfolio/newsite/Newsite.html)

Ian Jones
01-25-2004, 02:04 AM
Thats better.

spin3
01-25-2004, 08:49 AM
I can't get my site to work, it freezes during preload. I checked all the action script, and it works fine on my computer. How does it work for you, and do you have any ideas?

dez
01-25-2004, 09:47 AM
I won't say i'm right, but i'll take a hint:

I think its probably this in your html coding? "<EMBED src="Newsite.swf" play=false........ "?

spin3
01-25-2004, 05:42 PM
you're abosolutely right. Thanks.
Update (http://www16.brinkster.com/lineportfolio/newsite/Newsite.html)

dez
01-26-2004, 01:48 AM
Hey Spin3,

crits:

Your menu and button looks great, however seeing that when I click the "about" link, your layout is different and only the off button is there; at your menu paper, it just lies the menu, I don't think you need the "home" link in the menu page.

Also, not sure if the page that your showings us to critique is just for viewing or its the actual page, but i'll just mention it anyways; wouldn't you rather align your flash in the center of the page?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

cheers, keep the good work up!
dez.

spin3
01-26-2004, 01:58 AM
yes you are correct. I will do that at the end because when ever I publish my new flash doc, it always goes into the corner and I have to edit the html coding by hand. If you have any tips that would fix it I would be much obliged.
As for the home button on the menu, I think I will have some buttons that activate with the menu still in the backround, but not sure yet, if not I will definitely take it out, thanks.

spin3
01-28-2004, 02:44 AM
I finally got a new web host, so I'll be posting stuff soon. Kinda slow during the week with highschool homework.

Ian Jones
01-28-2004, 04:43 AM
"couch patato" should be 'potato'.

"I get board" should be 'bored'.

"and some clickcy thing." should be 'clicky'.

hehe, just thought I'd point them out. :)

The style of writing and little personal touches are great. I had a laugh at the gender bit though. hehe.

Your pic is good, problem is that you look like your gonna fall over. You need something to lean up against. I suggest a very simple 50% transparent thin line. Just something simple.

I seem to be able to still use the menu underneath the text! That's not a good thing. Powering off at the about section makes it skip back to the menu, I know its a bit of a bastard to make a power off that works seamlessly at each section, but I'm not sure if you care or not and am just mentioning it anyway.

gimmix
01-28-2004, 02:04 PM
i think most of the bugs had been mentioned before. But I found something you could call a bug 'cause at the 'about' button the 'rolloverpart' is the text, but the other buttons are a little bit different 'cause the red gfx at their top is a rolloverfield to.

Just wanted to mention 'cause it irritated me ;D

spin3
01-28-2004, 03:13 PM
These are all things I noticed as well, but hoping others wouldn't, lol. I got to start using spell check before I turn the text to graphics, but I wanted to bring the text in externally anyway, so this will give me an excuse to do it. Thanks.

Ian Jones
01-29-2004, 03:47 AM
Hey man, it's easy on the flip side for us to be eagle eyed about every little detail. Just keep going! We can nitpick some more after most of the content is there and we get to the polishing stage.

dez
01-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Just a tinsy error on your site, you have the "on" and "off" title the other way rounded(when the button is off.. its saids "on" etc).. not sure if it was ur intension in doing that.. but just want to point that out just incase.

bumskee
02-05-2004, 10:30 PM
great, :>

here are few things I thought of, maybe you wanna make the menus stand out a bit more compared to other texts.

also, power on and off, I was thinking it would look great if the whole movie when rather white-ish so it's quite noticable when it's switched on. or when off faint traces of layout is shown, like a dark room with lights switched off. I really like the power on and off button, it would look even greater if there was more reason to click this "on" button.

frankly I see no point in clicking that on button or off. how about you just chuck in ur deatils?? or something big when switched off and when switched on the live music, some animation or something really live. just a thought.

it's looking good, as everyone agrees. Polish it up and it's gonna be great!

min,

spin3
02-15-2004, 06:56 AM
I have had big computer problems with viruses and other stuff, but I am now, back up and running.

I have reviewed my site, and would like to start over. I don't really like the design for some reason. That and it is quite unpracticle for the menu to be in the middle.

I'll post once I get started, but I still have a few important things I need to do first. Thanks for all your patience and advice.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.