PDA

View Full Version : USATODAY: Word on the Upcoming Fantasy Films

RobertoOrtiz
01-20-2004, 11:48 PM
Quote:
"To those who have found hobbits to be dangerously habit-forming and now are in denial, we regret to remind you that there aren't any more Lord of the Rings movies based on J.R.R. Tolkien's epic trilogy.

For the first time in three years, December will be a Frodo-free zone.

All that is left is anticipated Oscar glory next month and filmmaker Peter Jackson's sure-to-be-hefty extended DVD of the conclusion, The Return of the King.

Like the original Star Wars trilogy or Titanic, a box-office monster such as Rings exists on a rarified plane.

Think about it. Three features shot at the same time and released back-to-back with a script brought to life by a New Zealand whiz who happens to have a reasonable facsimile of Middle-earth practically in his backyard.

"The Lord of the Rings is sui generis," Rolling Stone critic Peter Travers declares. "There is really nothing like it."

But moviegoers who crave more fantastical feats can take heart. The triumph of Rings as well as the continuing Harry Potter series (the third installment, The Prisoner of Azkaban, is due June 4) have left an indelible impression on Hollywood, where any massive success usually breeds more attempts of the same. Witness the coming onslaught of post-Gladiator historical epics."

>>Link<< (http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-01-20-fantasy-films-main_x.htm)
-R

bRyaN2003
01-21-2004, 12:55 PM
NO Dragonlance!!!

*Sigh*

clubb6
01-21-2004, 01:06 PM
"The studio also has the rights to create its own original prequel or sequel to The Lord of the Rings, but would pursue the projects only if Jackson would be involved again. "

dear god no. Surly only tolkien can write tolkien and he's dead.

mastermesh
01-21-2004, 02:49 PM
2004 is going to bring in RIFTS! :) http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9071&sid=c39216b5aae996d036c2bbf7662dac41

malducin
01-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Interesting. I've heard about a possible Elric movie since the mid or late 80s so we'll see if it happens.

I also thought Lemony Snicket was temporalily put in the backburner but apparently now is full steam ahead with Silberling and even have a Dec. 17 2004 release date. Has anyone read those? I wonder why would they need an Animation Supervisor for that film, any possible CG character work?

percydaman
01-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Thing is, I can't help but remember all those horrible fantasy movies that came prior to LOTR, and all the horrible ones that will attempt to capitalize on LOTR.

xzevlin
01-21-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by malducin
[B]
I also thought Lemony Snicket was temporalily put in the backburner but apparently now is full steam ahead with Silberling and even have a Dec. 17 2004 release date. Has anyone read those? /B]

I've read the first book, and it was awful. Maybe the rest of the series is better, but after the idiotic way the plot was resolved in the first one, I couldn't bring myself to shell out the money for any of the others. Jim Carey really isn't how I pictured the villain, so that will be interesting to see.

There isn't anything I can remember from it that would require much character work, though they do put a toddler in some precarious positions, so maybe there's a CG kid.

tfall
01-22-2004, 05:17 PM
Is it really capitalizing on Lord of the Rings to bring some fantasy classics to the screen, or is it a realization that there is a great market there waiting to be served? I would think it is capitalization if the stories were crap, just churning out mindless fantasy movies, but these are quality stories that are already successful. I much prefer the studios making movies with quality stories rather than the questionable plots we see so often today.

- Terry

malducin
01-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Well not all past fantasy films were crap. While we had stuff like Red Sonja, The Sword and the Sorcerer, The Barbarian Brothers or the DnD movie there was pretty good stuff like Wizard of Oz, Conan (the first), Dragonslayer, and a few others.

Yes I would consider captilizing (maybe a matter of linguistics) as in trying to ride the wave. Just like they mentiones with post-Gladiator films (like the upcoming Troy and Alexander). Same thing happened after Star Wars, some of it were good (say Blade Runner or Alien) but of course many others followed with much less quality. The fact that all those projects are based on properties won't mean they'll be good films. Studios and producers still could butcher up the story.

DigiLusionist
01-23-2004, 07:25 AM
A Wizard of Earthsea

I'm surprised that series isn't being kicked around.

Dirtystimpy
01-23-2004, 08:05 AM
what alot of people have been tellling me for a long time is the wheel of time series, finally just picked up the first book, i guess I have about 5-7 more to go??

they that good?

Dearmad
01-23-2004, 06:31 PM
No.

imamog
01-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Dearmad is right. The books are good at first, but tail off fast. Jordan is all about the money at this point. If you really have to read the books, get them used and on paperback.

Fasty
01-24-2004, 03:55 AM
bRyaN2003, all I can say is "thank goodness". Can you imagine the horrible, corny rubbish they'd churn out just to get money off LOTR's goodwill?

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.