PDA

View Full Version : Wooden map

Mgfx
06-25-2002, 01:28 AM
Currently trying to achieve nice wooden maps using Photoshop only, for use in Lightwave. This is my progress so far, any comments? :) It's a few procedures of filters.

http://www.mgfx.net/temp/Wood_Colour.jpg

/ERiK

leigh
06-25-2002, 07:40 AM
Well, that's not looking too bad. I think the main problem with it at the moment is that the grain looks a bit too unnatural.
The actual grain should surely run along with the burls?? Although I could be wrong (it is rather early in the morning :p)

You should also add some more variation in the colour - wood often has one or two sudden dark bits in the knots.

Something cool to consider as well is the way the wood has been treated - I mentioned the way in which the grain should follow the burls, but if wood has been coated with varnish, then it would have a straight grain like this, because of the brush strokes from when the varnish was painted onto it. But if you are going to persue that route, then you will have to add a reflection map that would go with the varnish, as well as play with the spec and gloss settings.

By the way, you are the guy that runs the mgfx website, aren't you? :) Your "Mansion Hallway" was the first tutorial I ever did in Lightwave :p

Mgfx
06-25-2002, 12:20 PM
yeap you're probably right about the grain, I'll try to make it follow the burls somehow. Gonna try some stuff and see what happens :)

Yeah I run mgfx.net, did you learn anything from the tutorial? :)

/ERiK

leigh
06-25-2002, 12:27 PM
Cool :thumbsup:
Did I learn anything from the tutorial? But of course! I only use Lightwave now ;) Your parchment one was cool too :)

Mgfx
06-25-2002, 03:05 PM
thanx Leigh, glad you liked them :)

Here's another one. I tried making grain that followed the burls of the map, but in the end the straight grains was just nicer, so I'll go with this :)

http://www.mgfx.net/temp/Wood2_Colour.jpg

/ERiK

leigh
06-25-2002, 04:34 PM
Hmmm.... yeah I prefer the colour now - much richer :thumbsup: And yeah, the grain looks fine even though it doesn't follow the contours.
The thing which bugs me though, is it appears to have lighting information in it - the grain appears to be lit. Is this a render, or is it still just a Photoshop image?

Mgfx
06-25-2002, 05:29 PM
It's a plain photoshop project. There's no lighting effects added but perhaps the Unsharpen Mask filter has something to do with it, I'll check it later, thanx for the feedback :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.