PDA

View Full Version : Review: EXPOSÉ 1

jschleifer
01-20-2004, 02:38 AM
Howdy folks.

VFXWorld just posted a review I wrote on Expose 1. check it out and enjoy!

Review: EXPOSÉ 1 (http://vfxworld.com/?atype=articles&id=1976)

gmask
01-20-2004, 02:54 AM
Interesting article.. one comment I would make on it would be about this section..

"Unfortunately, the category of visual effects didn’t deliver as much as I had hoped. It would have been really great to be able to see some of the top visual effects work from the industry over the past few years (Lord of the Rings, Moulin Rouge, Monsters, Inc. and Amélie). Unfortunately, as Ballistic Media states in the introduction for this category, they weren’t able to include many of these images due to copyright issues. Perhaps studios will be more eager to include their work in future productions of EXPOSÉ."

I'm glad that copyright issues would keep commercial work out of such a publication.. In many cases you can buy whole books of the work done in big films or get prints from CINEFEX. It's really nice that indivial artists who you have never heard or are familiar with only by avatar on a chat website have a medium where they can shine instead of being overshadowed by the monsters of big league effects houses.

Oh and this was an amusing remark..

"After reading through the book, I think another sub-category should have been created: Nearly-Nude-CG-Girly. Out of all the images presented in the book, more than 50 were of computer graphics girls in various stages of undress."

TheGreenGiant
01-20-2004, 05:11 AM
my impression was that Expose was 1/3 architectural. Didn't think it was too good to slap all them architectural viz right at the front end of the mag. Flip flip flip.. wth?

And too many tiny tiny shots. I think each page should have 2 images max. If its going to be small; we're better off seeing them onscreen.

gmask
01-20-2004, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by TheGreenGiant
And too many tiny tiny shots. I think each page should have 2 images max. If its going to be small; we're better off seeing them onscreen.

That may have more to do with the avaible resolution of the image and you may have a point about just viewing them online instead of in print if that's the case.

Leonard
01-20-2004, 06:43 AM
Hi all,

I'd really like to thank VFX World and Jason for arranging the review.

We're starting the production cycle for EXPOSE' 2 in Feb, so anything you want to suggest now is most appreciated.

So far the entries have been excellent and we've gotten fewer overall architectural stuff this time (though that may change in the upcoming week). We have over 1700 entries at this point in time. There's really so much artwork that the jury is going to have an agonising time choosing what goes in.

We're looking forward to making a better book for the CG industry.

Cheers,

Leo

visionmaster
01-20-2004, 04:14 PM
cool article,
and yes it will a good idea to have a dvd with the Expose 2 !

happy hollidays

marc

Steveyola
01-21-2004, 12:28 AM
Yes a DVD would be like frosting.Really looking forward to Expose 2.:beer:

MarkSnoswell
01-21-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Steveyola
Yes a DVD would be like frosting.Really looking forward to Expose 2.:beer:

Yea -- a DVD would be really great. Trouble is that it would also be great for the makers of pirate books. It would give them everything to rip of the book immediatly.

jschleifer
01-21-2004, 08:46 AM
not really.. only if you included EVERYTHING on the dvd.

I mean, sure.. people could pirate the dvd itself and the contents would be everywhere.. but that's the case with every dvd. And nothing's stopping anyone from scanning images and pirating them as well..

MaDSheeP
01-21-2004, 12:44 PM
no suggestion, but just wanted to say,

Fantastic Book, and I can't wait until Expose 2 :)

gmask
01-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by jschleifer
not really.. only if you included EVERYTHING on the dvd.

I mean, sure.. people could pirate the dvd itself and the contents would be everywhere.. but that's the case with every dvd. And nothing's stopping anyone from scanning images and pirating them as well..

Yeah I think the main point of a DVD would be so you could show animation.

TheGreenGiant
01-22-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Mark.Snoswell
pirate books.

That's the 1st time ever I've heard the phrase pirate book. Pirate Dvds, silvers, ps2, xbox, cds, yes. Book? LOL. How do you pirate a book? And what channel would you then have to sell it/mass produce? You will still need a printing press and I don't think the profit margin is that huge (as we're led to believe on Expose')

jschleifer
01-22-2004, 01:39 AM
simply scan it in & create PDFs..

er..

not that I've ever done that.

TheGreenGiant
01-22-2004, 01:45 AM
if you say so ;)

does anyone actually like reading things especially long crazy stuff in .PDF (or on screen?). I thought it was statiscally proven that paper is >. Imagine the file sizes on the .PDFs though.. Expose being as visual as it is.

gmask
01-22-2004, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by TheGreenGiant
if you say so ;)

does anyone actually like reading things especially long crazy stuff in .PDF (or on screen?). I thought it was statiscally proven that paper is >. Imagine the file sizes on the .PDFs though.. Expose being as visual as it is.

It's true.. people scan Highend Mag and pass it around online..

Anyway I mostly don't mind reading PDF's .. but it can also be annoying..

Lunatique
01-22-2004, 11:55 AM
I have seen more pirated CG books (with horrible printing quality--because they just scan the original) in China than I can remember. The Chinese are probably the worst when it comes to pirating in the world.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.