PDA

View Full Version : unwrapping issue

DreiGrasheir
01-20-2004, 02:41 AM
hey, i posted this in the max forum, but was hoping someone here would know as well. i'm having some problems with unwrapping in max 4.2... i layout everything all nice and spiffy like, then apply a UVW Map mod, use Texporter, and get the bitmap all fine. then i apply the bitmap to the model and it looks fine... until i turn off the Edit Mesh modifier, when it screws up and looks weird. ive found the problem is that the UV's arent locking in place as they should when i apply an Unwrap UVW modifier. When i remove the Edit Mesh modifier, the Uv's go back to the shape of the character. any idea why it would be doing this? thanks in advance.

my stack is as follows:
--Unwrap UVW
--UVW Mapping
--Edit Mesh (switch between model and layed out)
--Editable Mesh

http://www.3dgstudios.com/images/prob.jpg

Matt
01-20-2004, 05:03 AM
Are the material channel #s the same?

DreiGrasheir
01-20-2004, 06:20 AM
yes, they're the same. this is what the UV edit window looks like before (left) and after (right) i turn off the edit mesh modifier.

http://www.3dgstudios.com/images/UVEdit.jpg

MFTituS
01-20-2004, 10:11 AM
if i am right, you have unwrapped your mesh with the edit mesh modifier and than planar mapped it.
why do you use this old method?
the same job does the unwrapper without changing your mesh, only flattens your mappingcoordinates.
the workflow is the same, you only have to do it in the uvw editor.

your coordinates look weird, cause of the planar map modifier.
it maps the the mesh frontal. so you have unwrapped your mesh before und than planar mapped, thats ok. but if you turn off your edit modifier, the planar mapper maps your unflatted figure anew.

if you want to use this technic, you have to unflatten your mesh to the original after the uvw mapping modifier was set. so the coordinates will move with your mesh.

hope you understand something out of my weird words....

DreiGrasheir
01-21-2004, 07:18 AM
Good question... I am a fairly new user to Max, and that was the method that was taught in the book i got. Go figure. I have since discovered the new and improved way to unwrap UV's and all is well. I guess you can just chock that up to technological Negligence :)

Well, I'm off to paint this thing in MS Paint...

(j/k ^^ )

gaggle
01-21-2004, 09:30 AM
You may yet be able to copy the flattened mesh, collapse it, then morph that back to it's original form using the original object?

Been a long while since I've messed with MAX so I'm pretty much just guessing here :)

Lekku
02-12-2004, 06:55 PM
Maybe it's just me, but perhaps you should apply UVW map AFTER the Edit Mesh modifier. eh? Give it a whirl. You MAY be able to drag UVW mapper up through the modifier stack. Just save before you try it. I have NO idea if it will work.

Multimediaman
02-13-2004, 07:40 AM
I'm not sure if anyone else caught this, but you were saying that you unfolded the model with the edit mesh modifier...

well, chances are you had to break some verticies or edges to get it so you could unwrap it evenly... This alters your vert numbers, and edge number, and possibly face numbers as well...

if your mesh subobject numbers aren't the same as the uvw unwrap method was using, of course it's going to look bad

try breaking those edges before putting the edit mesh modifier on if you're going to do this method at all ... but also, welding verticies can also potentially mess up uvw information... it's much less time consuming to use a whole stack that looks like

UVW Unwrap
UVW Map
Edit Mesh
UVW Unwrap
UVW Map
Edit Mesh
UVW Unwrap
UVW Map
Editable poly

this way you are keeping the mesh as is, except for the selection

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.