PDA

View Full Version : JS Gimbal Controll question ..

d0c
01-20-2004, 02:11 AM
hey guys i just finish watching my Jason creature rig movie and i just have one question on the subject of Gimbal lock. i'm not advanced in all of this but i've always been reading the threads and there seem to be alot of people with the issues of gimbal lock and to my knowledge i havent seen anyone respond with the technique that jason uses in his dvd. i just wanted to know if there was a reason for this. the way he demonstrates this seems to work really well ..

i dont know if the answer should be obvious but i thought i would ask anyways..

thx .. and keep the movies coming jason .. i want more!!!

i wish Bay Raitt would make a modeling DVD :bowdown:

svenip
01-20-2004, 02:58 AM
it's actually a very common way to solve the problem. some people try to use quaternions but this slows down.

however, most of the time setting your rotation order correctly is enough as you don't need all three rots at most cases.

jschleifer
01-21-2004, 10:47 AM
thanks! you can always buy the dvd ya know & get allll the info. :)

The technique I show with the rings is just to help people understand what's going on.. in general I rely on setting the rotation order, and then ONLY if I need to do I add an extra gimbal control.

cheers!
-jason

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.