PDA

View Full Version : Snow Wolfen, _ep__ (2D), (2D)

EricPIRA
01-19-2004, 10:11 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/58735/58735_1165499844_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/58735/58735_1165499844_large.jpg)

Title: Snow Wolfen, _ep__ (2D)
Name:
Software:

eYadNesS
01-19-2004, 10:52 PM
Nice man, great work :thumbsup:
I like your coloring

lildragon
01-20-2004, 12:45 AM
I like this one, nice strong powerful anatomy drawing, it really stands out and it's obvious you did an excellent amount of research. The snow however looks a bit too much like noise at some levels, me personally I would smooth it out too be more like wind blown drifts. Sharper details on the stone would be pretty nice also. The line of action could've been a bit better but all in one a nice painting.

[plugged]

-lild

Garma
01-20-2004, 01:13 AM
very good piece of work. I like your colourcombination

:thumbsup:

whitey
01-20-2004, 01:19 AM
i feel that the character's right arm is bent in an extremely abnormal stance for being in a jumping pose... perhaps with the elbows in instead of out, ore maybe the whole arm bent upward further

Hexodam
01-20-2004, 01:20 AM
love the detail

just think his right arm looks weird, his hand is... off somewhat I think

Krypton
01-20-2004, 03:04 AM
I have to agree with the arm. The creatures right arm is bent in a very unnatural possition, I can barely bend my arm like that. also the detail and color of the snow and rocks is not up to the same level of detail as the creature. Overall I think it's good piece :)

superfly18
01-20-2004, 04:43 AM
You know, i hate to be the first, and perhaps the only one to say this. But i don't think that this picture deserves to be on frontpage. IMHO

The image stands out in the fact that the anatomy is near perfect, which i commend you on, but the overall image just doesn't work for me, i don't enjoy it - though well painted, the skill is there.

My primary reaction was; "What's it doing? Jumping off..?? Or dashing off..what??" The action is fluid, though i feel like he's floating with a snowy background tossed in to contrast the creature from its enviroment. It's right arm (left in the picture) is awkward because the hand has been been rotated towards the audience while the arm is rotated towards its body. The head appears to be a bit unproportional to the body, so small compared to its extreme muscles and bone size. Lastly about the pose, i think the head is awkward too in its position. Looking at us with a weird smile...

As far as a 'Wolf-Human' goes, I don't understand how it could survive in such an enviroment. From the looks of it, its an EXTREMELY cold enviroment tossed with a warmblooded creature that DOESN'T have a sufficient amount of hair to maintain its normal body temperature, whatever that may be. Also, such an enviroment doesn't seem like it could support that creature due to its limited food source so high up in the mountain. Perhaps I'm going too scientific for it. Toss it in a forest and it would be much more enjoyable to look at.

I hope you don't take my criticisms personally, but rather artistically. As krypton stated, its a good piece, that PERSONALLY i would modify a few things.

Again, nice anatomy artwork. Best of luck.

phoenix
01-20-2004, 05:11 AM
very impressive work

tame2000
01-20-2004, 05:15 AM
I will start of by saying that this is a great painting. You've achieved a great level of detail as others have mentioned. But I must also agree about the position that he is in. When I first looked at it, it felt un-natural, although I do see the motion you are trying to convey and I don't think you are to far off. Now I'm sorry that I'm going to mention this as I know it's no where near the meaning of the picture, but the more I look at it, it seems like the creature is posing provocativly for us... I think this is mainly due to the environment that he is in. It doesn't seem like it is "there". Never the less, I is still a breat painting and congrats on the front page...

T.

superfly18
01-20-2004, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by tame2000
Now I'm sorry that I'm going to mention this as I know it's no where near the meaning of the picture, but the more I look at it, it seems like the creature is posing provocativly for us... I think this is mainly due to the environment that he is in. It doesn't seem like it is "there".

Sorry for coming back in, but i completely agree with the statement. Does he pose for Wolfgirl.com? lol You know, like playgirl.com..ermm...ok..

derelict
01-20-2004, 05:36 AM
a very dragonish looking wolf fellow. Sweet:beer:

oxyg3n
01-20-2004, 06:26 AM
This is very interesting. It looks like a mix between a dragon and a warewolf. I dont think I have seen anything quite like this.

siberianfag
01-20-2004, 06:27 AM
I have to agree with Krypton, Superfly18, and tame2000 on the awkward feeling of the piece. Again the muscle structure is spondiferious, but it feels stiff. I find myself wanting to see it resting on a sandy beach with a dence forest crawling up in the background--a much warmer environment that might provide the amount a food needed to sustain a dragon-wolf-bat-thing. Which brings me to another point about origins. What is he (I'm asuming 'he') and where does his people, pack or species come from. Is he on this world or the next? Failed science expirement, savior of mankind or art history 2 doodle you decided to color in for your portfoilo? Also, with the direction of his hips, I'd say that the back leg should be more away from us, alowing us to see more of the foot pads. Overall, it's and interesting picture but I really don't feel like he is in his environment, but more floating through the given environment (fun with blue-screen). Out of curiosity, where is the second light source coming from? I can see a strong blue light coming out from behind him and glinting on his back (that would also touch his front most arm, but isn't), but the softer yellow light that's shining in from the left, what is that? A lamp?

Anyway, sorry for the harshness, but its constructive (no vendetas here), and congrats on the front page. Good luck on your future works, and if that was a school assignment then I hope your professors are more lax then I.

kryoboy
01-20-2004, 07:53 AM
Very nice, I envy you.. I would like to recreate this beast in Maya, if of course I could get your permission the anatomoy is excellent and would be a fun experiance to recreate.

Rodrigue
01-20-2004, 07:58 AM
Very impressive work! :applause:

mikepolizos
01-20-2004, 08:50 AM
Very nicely done!

I like his vains!:)

Keep it up.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MedusasHead
01-20-2004, 09:58 AM
The coloring and basic anatomy is excellent, but the right claw really has an obvious problem... I think it`s mainly this point that made people think that this beast is some kind of posing and stiff - I agree with these comments. Nevertheless, I see tons of skill here.

AndyBa
01-20-2004, 10:48 AM
somhow the right arm looks unnatural...
especially the shoulder region...

NicoDN
01-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Nice pic ! :applause:
Great impression of power in the character. :thumbsup:

nvaughn
01-20-2004, 12:31 PM
I like he creativity, and how he looks very fleshy and muscular. I agree with the comments about his pose. He looks a little akward, and outta placed in the scene. Its obvious you put in a lot of hard work. Congrats on the plug.

swampthing
01-20-2004, 03:19 PM
I like the actual artwork but I dont like the composition. The creature doesn't fit in the setting. It looks like some naked wolfish creature stranded in the north pole running like hell to get someplace warm.

I think he would have been better off in a forest or he needs more hair.

HW2002
01-20-2004, 04:52 PM
wwwwwwwoooooooowwwwwww.....this is awesom man...I like it...you are very good to that....

Ebola0001
01-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Oh come on now... analyze the picture... he is obviously not from environment so what is he doing there?...

He isn't resting in the snow he is running or leaping... ok so no playwolf centerfold there, there is snow flying in front of him... so he either isn't running that fast, or it is an avalanche and he is running for his life.

Ok from several clues from the snow flying in front of his legs, to the whiffs of snow and where they are placed, his pose, the environment. Here is my conclusion...

He is a garou vacationing from his normal area (city, woodslike I would think). And he got jumped by a couple of his buddies, and they are having a supercharged snowball fight... thus the leaping flying snow, environment, and, arm position... where is your right arm after you throw a snow ball it is kind of bent down like hat. His is exaggerated but oh well.

EricPIRA
01-20-2004, 09:31 PM
thk for the comments

i'll try to improve the structure and the pose of my characters, and to pay more attention to the overall concept of my drawings

:cool:

Kid-Mesh
01-20-2004, 11:04 PM
Nice job on this piece, defintely shows skills in a few areas for sure.

I have seen worse on the front page for my taste but artworks make the front page for a variety of different reasons...doesnt neccesarily have to mean that it is a totally "correct" picture to make it.

Anyway, C&C is cool and is always appreciated by most who ask but I wonder if you would have received, lets say such "in-depth" C&C if you wouldnt have made the front page?

Regardless, excellent work

Cheers,

-KM

foenix
01-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Good work mon ami ;)

:thumbsup:

DrakeX
01-21-2004, 03:33 AM
"it seems like the creature is posing provocativly for us"

i am sooooo tempted to put him on a bed with roses all around :D

really, i like it. i've saved it to my hard drive. not many pictures i do that with; yours is the 6th since i've been here, about 9 months :) i'll agree with the comments about it being out place and awkward, but you can't beat it, it's just cool.

gugesbri
01-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Looks Great!
Have you been watching the Shadow Skill Anime?

They have characters in that movie that resemble yours.

Keep up the great work.

Hope to see more.

Gustavo Pabon
Journalist, Information Artist
Newsday, A Tribune Publishing Company
New York, U.S.A.

DrakeX
01-27-2004, 01:00 PM
_ep__ -- check your private messages... please :D

DoLeeP
02-13-2004, 12:09 AM
just amazing I love it:thumbsup:
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Rider
08-13-2004, 11:03 PM
i really like your character, the snow could use some work and i feel their is something awkward about the body pose. The right arm sould be forward more as if he were powerfully reaching forward in his stride. Also their is alot of twist in the upper body but none in the hips, throw the left side of the hip forward alittle more and you will acheive a more powerful pose.

techart
08-14-2004, 12:42 PM
realy like the muscles and other ...like the concept too

Wilson_ms2x_87
06-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Add some fur for the character... the image will look better... anyway the image is very nice...:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2005, 09:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.