PDA

View Full Version : 1 Terabyte Hard Drive? So soon?

singularity2006
01-19-2004, 10:11 PM
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10118 <---- I ran across this drive and it claims to be a 1TB hard disk drive. From the size of the object (it's an enclosure), it looks like they shoved in 5 200GB HD's in there. What are your thoughts? And the price tag, wow! $1200 bucks. Sounds just like 5 200GB drives don't you think?

Jb5k1
01-20-2004, 12:10 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it only had like a 2mb buffer and like 5200 rpm's or something....

kwshipman
01-20-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Jb5k1
I wouldn't be surprised if it only had like a 2mb buffer and like 5200 rpm's or something....

didnt read the whole page did you? 8MB buffer and 7200RPM.

I am more excited about Sony's new 1GB minidisc than this. Has Firewire 800 even made its way to the PC side yet?

Jb5k1
01-20-2004, 01:12 AM
nah, i didn't read it

lol, dont i feel dumb :bowdown: :bowdown: :bounce:

singularity2006
01-20-2004, 02:28 AM
after looking a bit more closely at the specs, the thing is like 11lbs. AFter that, I'm pretty positive it's just 5 200GB drives in that sucker. No way can a drive in an enclosure weigh 11lbs... can it??

Anyhow, when do you think REAL 1TB drives will debut? And I mean a drive that weighs 2lbs or less, like standard drives of today. =)

Sieb
01-20-2004, 03:14 AM
When we can fit more than 250gigs on a platter, right now were at 60-80 in mass market.

3Dfx_Sage
01-20-2004, 12:01 PM
likely carbon nanotube ram will come first, and thus we will never have use for 1TB traditional drives.

milkyman
01-20-2004, 04:37 PM
some ppl like to download dvd files off the internet. and i know people who purchase 300GB 5400rpm drives for storage.

so i think there is a market for them

singularity2006
01-20-2004, 06:33 PM
300GB drives? Those are already out? Wow, thought they were capped @ 200 still. but 300GB @ only 5400 RPM? Why the slow spin? Anyhow, I'm not too familiar about the nanotube technology. How would that remove the need for 1TB drives?

blendertrout
01-21-2004, 02:16 AM
carbon nanotubes have come up a lot lately... Sounds like they are destine for a grip load of different industries and uses... I'm curious about the ram though. I haven't heard them talked about for data storage or processing yet... Got a little more on that Sage? I'm curious.

3Dfx_Sage
01-21-2004, 06:28 AM
yes, they are really fast and cheap and easy to make because it doesnt require them to be grown perpedicular to the surface they reside on, unlike many other uses of them. the way it works is that you have two planes made of semiconductors and in between them you have carbon nanotubes- which are conductive. when you apply a charge at one point the nearby tubes will accumulate there and thus make that point a 1. When you apply the opposite charge it repels the tubes so that spot is no longer conductive and is a 0.

It works much faster than conventional RAM, takes up less space, and - best of all - is nonvolatile (ie once the tubes are moved they stay there until you move them again, even when power is turned off they stay. This means is can totally replace hard drives AND conventional memory while being cheaper, faster, smaller, and safer. Truely a very good thing.

edit:
oh and when I say smaller i mean we are talking hundreds of gigs on a chip the size of your pinky fingernail....

blendertrout
01-21-2004, 09:04 AM
Wow thanks sage! That was a great rundown on the facts! I heard nanotubes being talked about on the radio for use in building a space elivator... But the fingernail sized superdrive is cooler in my book. Well, maybe not cooler but more usefull to me maybe. Thanks again.

GregHess
01-21-2004, 11:59 AM
I'm so sick and tired of harddrives already.

We have the capability for solid state drives...even cheap ones.

Thousands of times faster, a thousand times more reliable....hell the bandwidth differences alone is enough to drop your jaw.

Why don't we? Cause solid state drives would last...longer then the computer.

Would put the HD companies in the red just from lack of people replacing their hd every 1-3 years.

Mechnical stuff breaks :).

milkyman
01-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Maxtor MaXLine II 300GB

thats it 5400rpm

sells for approx 190 in the UK.

btw i go as far as to say the standard for current computers is a 160GB HD - i'm running a 120G and i thought that was big enough :).

parallax
01-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Greg, totally agree with that.

But after all, its the same in all businesses, they need us to spend till we drop.
We're always 3 steps behind of the technology that is REALLY revolutionary and beneficial, because they need the regular buck.

Innovation is held back by the way our economies 'work'.:surprised

GregHess
01-21-2004, 02:34 PM
Yup...capitalism definitely has its advantages...and its huge disadvantages.

CgFX
01-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Solid-state drives are not being artificially held back from the market. They are out there and they are multiples more expensive than spinning hard disks.

Flash cards are about as mass market as you can get in this area and those are still much more expensive per gig than hard drives. Hard drives are blowing past the $1/gig and I have seen $80 160 GB drives after rebates.

Current solid state solutions can't compete with that which is why we don't have them as an option.

I would like to see it though.

singularity2006
01-21-2004, 05:09 PM
yah, true, those solid state thingers are pretty expensive. But then again, smart media, secure digital, compact flash, and the like ... those aren't using nanotubes. Those are using another type, I assume. With that in mind, would nanotube technology truly be cheaper if and when it comes into wide use?

Btw, I've always thought the space elevator thing was a hella crazy cool idea. ^.^

And there is the whole carbon bucky ball thing.... I wonder how big we could get a single carbon bucky ball... :scream:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.