PDA

View Full Version : Cheap way to get Photoshop CS for newbs!

TiGER
01-19-2004, 07:25 PM
as a college student, i've always relied on my college's computer graphics lab for all my Photoshop needs, but now that i'm graduating i find that i need my own copy. Naturally, i don't have $600+ (USD) to spend on the retail version, so here's what i've come up with in my search.

i called Adobe and ran this by them, they approve of it.

here goes...

get on ebay and purchase an older version of Photoshop, like 4.0 or 5.5, that someone no longer needs. even if the software has alread been licensed Adobe has measures in place to transfer the rights over to you with some simple paperwork.
then you buy the upgrade to the newest version. you can even find unopend and unregistered copies of the upgrade on ebay and pricegrabber.com for around $150 (USD).

for $300 (USD) or under, you can have your very own full version of Photoshop CS. :applause:

i'm sure some people already know all of this, but i've found that many people in my situation (just entering the professional world) aren't aware of this tactic.

halo
01-19-2004, 07:31 PM
the pitfalls are you can buy fake or registered software which is worthless. Be careful and try and go for sealed boxes at least.

artistx
01-20-2004, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I purchased my Photoshop software off of ebay as well. It was in good shape, no problems. I saved about 200 hundred dollars that way. Photoshop 3 and 4 are starting to become rare now, but if you find one for a low price-great. Even if you don't find those, you'll see that Photoshop 7 and 6 will be dropping in price on ebay because Photoshop CS is coming out. I've noticed this trend for the last couple of years. It's always good to go hunting on ebay once a new version of the software comes out.

These are good tips to know if you don't have a lot of cash. We need some kind of a "Poor Man's Survival" sticky. Listing tips on getting good computer, software, and education for low prices.

IKHAM
01-21-2004, 05:10 AM
That is a seriously good way of doing it. Im going to be in the same boat in a few months, coming out of university and then have no photoshop to work on. :cry:

I think it wont be long before i buy my own copy.

tenjobara
01-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Thanks Tiger for your tip!

TiGER
01-21-2004, 07:13 PM
to add to this...

if you have a previous version of Photoshop that's an educational/academic license, you can purchase the retail upgrade to CS and the license will automatically be converted from education to commercial.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.