PDA

View Full Version : Bad opening weekend for Disney's Teachers Pet

SheepFactory
01-19-2004, 02:45 AM
From the yahoo article:

"The only other film opening in wide release, the cartoon "Disney's Teacher's Pet," was a bomb that didn't come close to cracking the Top 10. The animated feature, about a talking dog who disguises himself as a schoolboy, was based on a TV show from the Disney Channel. "

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=8&u=/ap/20040118/ap_on_en_mo/box_office

SheepFactory
01-19-2004, 02:46 AM
I didnt even know this movie was out until I read the article by the way. Did disney market this thing?

erilaz
01-19-2004, 03:20 AM
I didn't even know it existed!:surprised

RobW720
01-19-2004, 03:42 AM
doesnt really look appealing at all. from what the trailor shows it seems like it would be painful to sit through over an hour of it

Dennik
01-19-2004, 05:26 AM
:surprised So in what category does it fall in? Short? Or long?
Anyway, i hate the style of it. I could never guessed it was made by Disney. It looks so awfully cheap. Makes me wish they don't even earn their expences.

roger
01-19-2004, 05:40 AM
See - 2d is dead....... :p

Slurry
01-19-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by roger
See - 2d is dead....... :p

oh great, here we go...:rolleyes:

aurora
01-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Its not that 2D is dead. Its just that this movie is not something I would want to watch if it was the only thing preventing me from watching something absoultely horrible like the Teletubbies! Its nothing more then a Nickolodian cartoon gone really, really, terribly wrong. Disney wasted to much time and money on crap like this when it could have been working on something that might have redeemed its traditional niche as one of the greats. No wonder they closed down 2D:hmm:

slaughters
01-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Just caught an episode of the the TV series last night. It's not too bad. Sort of a sarcastic style of humor.

tatiana
01-19-2004, 05:51 PM
The only advertising for this movie that I saw was during the Saturday morning Disney cartoons.... Guess the marketing department thought the kids would beg for money to go see it. ha. Probably should have just gone straight to dvd.

The artist who created the art/style of the show is a guy pretty well known for his advertising illustration - was really popular a couple of years ago and used in alot of campaigns:

"Gary Baseman, is a gallery artist, New Yorker illustrator, and Emmy-winning children’s animator known for his strange, colorful blobs and his wild comics in Blab!"

t

FloydBishop
01-19-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Slurry
oh great, here we go...:rolleyes:

I wouldn't be suprised at all if the performance of this film (think of the timing of it's release) was used to "prove" to the shareholders that 2D is indeed "dead".

This is, of course, complete and total BS, but if you're a 60+ man who knows nothing of the medium, film making, story telling, etc... you might buy into that argument.

It's called show BUSINESS, not show ART; and Eisner, like him or not, is about as shrewd as they come.

Personally, I like the style of the art in "Teacher's Pet", and I watched one episode on TV a long time ago, and I remember liking it. Would I watch this feature? Probably not. Should the fate of an animation studio with the legacy of Disney be determined by the box office return of this film. No way.

Woyman
01-19-2004, 08:04 PM
Yeah, I don't understand it... I don't understand why they made Teacher's Pet into a feature film. I also didn't hear about it until I saw the trailers for the movie. And I watch cartoons like a maniac.

Now.. if they made Kim Possible into a feature film. I'm sure a lot more people would have gone and seen that. :)

halo
01-19-2004, 08:09 PM
never heard of it....Nice PR Disney

"due to economic considerations, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off"

romour has it that the remaining 2d artists will have to draw individual pamflets and hand them out in the future....

TheWraith
01-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Woyman
Yeah, I don't understand it... I don't understand why they made Teacher's Pet into a feature film.

there was a good article on jim hill like a week ago explaining disney's crappy straight to video movies appearing on the big screen. it was that they can make a bigger return as the animation is done on the cheap overseas. and then the releasing in the theater just gets them more money as not only do they make a little bit of money during the theater run, but it's basically a big 'ol promo for the video release. and since the movies cost so little to make, they don't have to bring in a lot of money for a 200% investment return. disney might still be making money, but in my eyes, they're also losing fans. and in the long run, nobody will bother seeing a disney animated feature as it will just be considered a big joke and a waste of money to do so.

i used to love disney, was my dream job up till a year ago. now i can't stand them. when eisner goes... maybe then i'd consider a job there.

Vladvrz
01-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Floyd Bishop
I wouldn't be suprised at all if the performance of this film (think of the timing of it's release) was used to "prove" to the shareholders that 2D is indeed "dead".

This is, of course, complete and total BS, but if you're a 60+ man who knows nothing of the medium, film making, story telling, etc... you might buy into that argument.

It's called show BUSINESS, not show ART; and Eisner, like him or not, is about as shrewd as they come.

Personally, I like the style of the art in "Teacher's Pet", and I watched one episode on TV a long time ago, and I remember liking it. Would I watch this feature? Probably not. Should the fate of an animation studio with the legacy of Disney be determined by the box office return of this film. No way.

I agree wholeheartedly.Except I did'nt care for the style.:beer:

moovieboy
01-19-2004, 10:55 PM
Imho, Disney's love of Direct-to-Video overlooks something important from its own recent history:

I have to believe that artists and animators tend to not swing for the fences when they're told they're working on a "secondary" product. It's human nature. Why go all out when it's just going to be tossed onto the shelves with minimal hype, focusing only on squeezing a franchise for more dollars?

Ah, but then there's the story of Toy Story 2. It was meant to be a quicky Disney D2V, except Pixar had such heart, such effort, such humor that Disney did the unthinkable and threw more time and money at Pixar until it grew into the "film" we all know and love...

So, the questions are... How much more profit would Disney get by learning from that example instead of always tightening its belts? How different would Pixar's reputation and Disney's pocketbooks be if Toy Story 2 was just low-quality junk collecting dust at Toys R Us?

Something tells me there's too many people in the Mouse-House who'll never be wise enough to know what all that even means...

-Tom

RobertoOrtiz
01-20-2004, 03:47 AM
Teacher's Pet Performance "On Target"

Quote:

"One other wide new release entered theaters over the weekend, not that too many people noticed. The Walt Disney Pictures cartoon, "Disney's Teacher's Pet," opened out of the top 10 with just $2.4 million, a sum described as being "pretty much on target" by a spokeswoman for the Walt Disney Co. (NYSE:DIS - News)-owned studio. The film was budgeted at under $10 million, according to industry insiders"

>>Link<< (http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040118/leisure_boxoffice_1.html)

-R

Geta-Ve
01-20-2004, 01:16 PM
see, like a few here said, its movies like this that make 2d look bad. honestly, the style looks (to me at least) 3rd rate. it doesnt look polished at all. thats what really throws me off of liking it. keep it as a television show!!! sheesh.

i mean, why cant we get more movies like lion king... or, im sure many people will hate me for this, treasure planet. i know i know, but personally i loved treasure planet, i loved its style and its story. another movie i really loved was atlantis.. really good movie there too.

you know what i think is happening.. i think disney has stopped reasearching their films.. because i remember a whole slew of articles about how much research went into making the lion king, but every movie after that was like nothing...

perhaps maybe emperers new groove.. though i forget if that was made by disney.... oh well... their hearts are just not in the 2d industry anymore, and so they should stay out of the industry...

psyop63b
01-20-2004, 09:54 PM
No wonder people prefer 3d animation over 2d now! Look at the 2d crap we're forced to endure like movie versions of Teacher's Pet, Recess, Wild Thornberries and Rugrats!

I've actually seen the Recess movie, because my friend decided to rent it (which I have never let him live down). Were he not my friend of 14 years I'd never speak to him again :p because if I wanted to lose brain cells I would have rather drank myself stupid.

They should make movies out of the series that actually have some potential. Disney has a good chance with Kim Possible. Nickelodeon has an incredible chance with Invader Zim! These series both have style and story, and would make great movies.

staticneuron
01-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Lion King is one of my favorite animations of all time. I would really like to see a 2d film of that had that kind of quality and emotion come out now. I'm not going to say that disney "should" do anything because they have made thier choice. But I am looking forward to see an animation from Legacy. GO!GO!GO!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.