PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Experience CD...

Fnkymnky
06-24-2002, 06:52 PM
...and I must say, this software rocks! :buttrock:

But I've got a few questions:

Having gotten used to the likes of max, Maya, and even trueSpace (which has gotten quite cool over the years), I'm all set up to think of the Z axis as the one going up and down, regardless of the viewport you're in. Know what I mean? For argument's sake, let's say you look at a map. The X axis would run East and West, the Y axis would be North/South, and the Z axis would go up and down.

Is there any way to change the default way XSI works? I mean, it's not a huge thing, and I doubt I'll have a problem adjusting, but I figure it's worth a shot to ask.

My second question: is it really pronounced 'soft-i-mahzh'? I always just said 'softimage', but the guy in the training videos says differently.

Of course, he also tells you how to move an object on multiple 'axises', so I can't trust him. :p

And, finally, I need to know why I can barely see the animation bar at the bottom of the interface. Is 1280x1024 not enough for XSI? Good God! :p

In any event, I love XSI. Now, I'm in the process of writing/shooting/screwing up a short movie of my own, and XSI is WAY out of my price range (no, I don't qualify for either of the leasing options), so it won't be replacing my copy of 3ds max, but I still intend to learn this software, if only because it's fun to use.

And please, let's remain decent. I don't need comments on my choice of max. I love both packages, and I say we should all play nice. :D

EdHarriss
06-24-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Fnkymnky
is it really pronounced 'soft-i-mahzh'? I always just said 'softimage', but the guy in the training videos says differently.

Yes it is. :)

I need to know why I can barely see the animation bar at the bottom of the interface. Is 1280x1024 not enough for XSI? Good God! :p
It's the right res. But you need to set your task bar to either autohide or uncheck always on top.

Fnkymnky
06-24-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by EdHarriss
Yes it is. :)

:eek: W--wh--what?! Jesus Tapdancing Christ, that's THE most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I've never felt like more of a pansy than when I say "Softimage" like I'm some sort of stinky French guy. Fair warning: Under NO circumstances will I ever speak like that.

That having been said, is there a reason behind the goofy pronunciation? :p

Synergy
06-25-2002, 06:39 AM
As far as I know, the company is french, so they can pronounce the name like they want. It took my a while to get use to saying it, but you get this high-and-mighty feeling when someone says it wrong. :cool:

dux8780
06-25-2002, 08:31 AM
For the problem of the interface you have not necessarily to hide the windows bar, you can go in the menu "layout" and hit "edit layout", then you can adjust your tools the way you want, just drag it.

steverage
06-25-2002, 09:31 AM
People who say SoftImage as opposed to Softimaaage sound like chumps and all us *real* users wince with pain..

Dont do it - ur the one who'll sound like a monkey if u say it like that not as u put it "some sort of stinky French guy".

:shame:

Daveaustin
06-25-2002, 09:37 AM
yeh Steve! you tell it the way it is

steverage
06-25-2002, 09:37 AM
Hoo-yah master chief

Fnkymnky
06-25-2002, 03:44 PM
Well, if they're French, that explains it. That's just the way they say it.

But I couldn't care less if it's correct, it still sounds unbelievably ridiculous coming from somebody without a French accent.

I'm just not gonna do it. Sorry. :shrug:

yakari
06-25-2002, 06:10 PM
Well, if they're French, that explains it. That's just the way they say it.

But I couldn't care less if it's correct, it still sounds unbelievably ridiculous coming from somebody without a French accent.

I'm just not gonna do it. Sorry. :shrug:

And you don't think you come through as being unbelievably ridiculous for even yapping about this? :p
For the "stinky french" (Canadian, right? correct me if I'm wrong)... it seems like a lot of the cool CG/FX stuff has come from those guys. Just look up where all your favourite industry companies are based... :)

Fnkymnky
06-25-2002, 08:21 PM
Please, don't misconstrue; my comments are meant to be light-hearted ribbings, not outright insults.

I try to be funny when I can. Obviously, I'm not very good at it. :p

'Stinky French guys' was a joke, for example. I KNOW there are plenty of great artists/companies that are French (or Canadian, or British, or anything else, for that matter).

Now, I do, in fact, find the 'aah' pronunciation to be a little weird. But I'm not REALLY ranting about it--whatever the company says they're called is what they're called, and I can respect that.

I kid because I love. :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.