PDA

View Full Version : room: kugelhalle

sad
01-18-2004, 09:46 PM
hi to anyone!

hereīs another c4d 8.2 rendering i made some months ago. it is finished and no wip.
the feedback over in 3d-arena was just overwhelming so i decided to post it here, too.
well, it ainīt no flood of gimmics and no superb ultra-realistic rendering but a try to create some mood and thinking.

i wanted to create some claustrophobic feeling.
most of my pictures are some kind of psycho-game.

what does it express? could it have caused stronger feelings - how?

thank you!
http://home.arcor.de/sadbatu/chat/kugelhalle3-arena.JPG

DirtySkillet
01-19-2004, 03:00 AM
I like the idea. Somehow I don't think that the light works with the idea of the scene. It dosn't symbolize anything. I don't have any ideas about how it could be better. But I think it could do with some changes.

Shayder
01-19-2004, 07:31 AM
I really like this!

I would eliminate or narrow the skylight if you want to make this more claustrophobic.

From the angle it's hard to tell but is the chair close to or touching the ceiling? If it is, showing that it was it might help.

I get the sense of impending doom. If that's what you're going for then may be the ball could be tethered to the wall with an old rope or rusty chain, that has a lot of tension on it, so that it looks like it could break and swing into the chair at any moment.

I really like it as it is though.

sad
01-21-2004, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by DirtySkillet
I like the idea. Somehow I don't think that the light works with the idea of the scene. It dosn't symbolize anything. I don't have any ideas about how it could be better. But I think it could do with some changes.

thanks for your feedbck, though i cannot agree with you that the light doesnīt symbolize anything. it symolizes quite much.
if it werenīt there, the scene was dead. light inflicts a glimpse of hope and/or freedom. the light lets us see that there is an outside. it shows: the walls seem not to be too thick to break.

(for me) a chair is a symbol for stability and power which is relativized by the ball that might break it.

itīs a matter of rage to destroy the chair or the cavity.
to destroy the chair is just destruction.
to destroy the wall/walls is breaking free.

the chain controlls both types of rage.

sad
01-21-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Shayder
I really like this!

I would eliminate or narrow the skylight if you want to make this more claustrophobic.

From the angle it's hard to tell but is the chair close to or touching the ceiling? If it is, showing that it was it might help.

I get the sense of impending doom. If that's what you're going for then may be the ball could be tethered to the wall with an old rope or rusty chain, that has a lot of tension on it, so that it looks like it could break and swing into the chair at any moment.

I really like it as it is though.

thanks a lot!

well, i want the picture to be claustrophobic but not only.
why would it help to know whether the chair touches the ceiling? sounds interesting...

the rope-idea is a cool one!

Shayder
01-21-2004, 05:20 AM
why would it help to know whether the chair touches the ceiling? sounds interesting...

It would help show that the room is quite small, right now it looks as if the room might be taller than it actually is.

An maybe some sort of object in the foreground something that symbolizes what you want to say, but it is in shiloulette(sp?).

Sorry for adding things but I am a director and I can't help my self, always taking other peoples work and wanting to change things. But like I said before, I like it the way it is.

L0sTPr0fEt
01-23-2004, 09:10 PM
what might portray more of a sense of emotion would be something like changing the color of the light to a depressing color. Maybe a dark red would do the trick. This way you can portray maybe anger, or pain. or maybe make it some color which makes the scene lonely, in a way. the regular light makes it seem like a regular ol' day.

just a suggestion

good work, i like it

LP

Ubersquid
01-26-2004, 12:47 AM
i really like the idea, the lighting and the setup. the only thing that disturbs the claustrophobia thing is the perspective i think, but maybe if the camera would be placed just below the ceiling, the whole image wouldn't work anymore because you won't see the sky.
hot dang i don't know

greez
squid

jedmitchell
02-04-2004, 11:51 PM
hey, this is just a thought, but maybe try moving the camera to as low as it can go and widening the lens angle to distort things a little bit, even as wide as a fisheye. if you make the skylight feel further away than it really is and add some general distortion to the objects (the ball and chain especially) it might heighten your mood, which, by the way, I think is already pretty well established. just play around with your camera and lens (if you haven't already), as well as the position of the ball and chain.

also, I think you've got the sky at just the right color, kind of like something Magritte would use. if it weren't that perfect, happy, harmonious, blue color, then what would make the room look so bad? if the sky outside were red and scary then I'd be happy about being inside the room.

ndat
02-15-2004, 03:57 AM
Nice, I like it alot...

Hmm but personally I like the skylight there, I think its what makes the whole scene dramatic...

my only cirt is that your logo keeps drawing my eye to the opisite end of where the action is.

other than that Nice :p

sad
02-15-2004, 04:37 PM
yes, the logo ainīt good there.

sad
02-24-2004, 11:49 PM
hereīs my new version. i screwed cam and light....dough!

http://home.arcor.de/sadbatu/chat/khalle-wip.jpg

userBrian
02-29-2004, 10:11 AM
I prefer the first image. I too like Magritte. To me this image is about movement. Some how about fear of change. If the ball moves the state of rest, symbolized by the chair, dissapears (or is destroyed). Something in the dark is unseen. How small the room is is unseen. It is the ego that is not allowed to stand up. A mockingly thin roof is held up by the innactivity symbolized by the chair. To move is to break the chair is to vanish the ceiling forever. In our subconscious is this room, always there, waiting for us to challenge it, or not. Are we free to express our ego today? Or keep our security in our hole...

DirtySkillet
02-29-2004, 08:28 PM
Ohh, i see, thats a skylight. My bad. I thought it was a fluresant light.

I think that having the chain attatched to the wall takes away from the scense of pulling down. But it's also more dynamic.

Great work. A true sense of claustophobia.

marc_taro
03-09-2004, 02:43 AM
This is a great one. Takes a moment to 'read' it, figure what it's about.

I liked it when the chain was hanging free, personally....

A tiny, subtle bit of volumetric coming down from the slit would be awesome.

The tiny bit of sky is great - it makes the room feel so small..would not have context without...

got more?
~m

Bonstar
03-24-2004, 05:44 AM
I really like the layout of the first one better personally, but I have a problem with the sky being so light. I think that if it were not red, but sort of cloudy and gloomy, or stormy it might give it a sense of gloominess, and add to the feeling of everything pressing in and down on you. Looking good!

maelefic
03-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Dude, here's some thoughts:

How about a cylindrical hole in the ceiling, make it a bit thicker, and then angle the light (very subtly, from right to left across the frome, but don't cross the half-way point). Because of that, you may need to whack in a fer 'ambient' lights to illuminate your interior; it may make it a bit darker and give it a more foreboding sensation.

Also, bring the far wall a tad closer to the camera (you may have to move the chair as well) so that it's a major plane in the scene. Set the chair at the same angle but have it look like the wall is effectively butting up to it.

If you feel the need to juxtapose, try setting a rectangular window on the left-hand side and letting a lesser light through it (keep the hole small) and have the light very softly splash on the back wall, but don't let the two beams intersect (think ghost busters ;)

Don't take what I've said as gospel, just some thoughts :)

Pinionist
03-29-2004, 03:48 PM
Well, I don't feel claustrophobic at all. That's my opinion. And here's my sugestion:

First of all, composition - all what is interesting on this image is completely on the right side of it - what about left side?

Lighting - it's my favorite subject, so please - add some tiny lights there - even this hated by me global illumination might help here. Add some details to this image, like toys, cluttered spaces, something that it will acctually make this claustrophobic. Also, take under consideration this littly tiny detail: claustrophobic means wet. Wet means scary, dirty, filthy. Try going this way.

At the end let me add, that chained sphere isn't claustrophobic at all.

sad
03-29-2004, 04:03 PM
the scene is lit by GI.
if i wanted it filthy and just claustrophobic, i would have had changed all its content. (grammar?)

claustrophobic means wet? not at all, imho.
Wet means scary, dirty, filthy? not necessarily.

i think the picture says more then just 'the room is claustrophobic'. it talks of being bound, weak, lonesome, etc.

thanks for your input anyway! iīd love to discuss it further with you!

Pinionist
03-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Well, OK, but I should really suggest you reading BLAME comic novel. Now, THAT's claustrophobic.

Sorry, maybe I'm a bit cold and unemotional guy, but I've seen much more dramatic places than this one.

sad
03-29-2004, 05:06 PM
i need to say it again, i wanted to create some claustrophoby but not as an only target. iīll take a look at that comic...

mr.wheels
04-05-2004, 05:52 AM
Well its a cool idea even though i am not into evil or psycho stuff i can still appreciate this If you want a CRAZY!! or evil sort of feel then you should try a dirty metal texture for those walls

try this:http://www.3dlinks.com/images/textures//textures/Concrete/ACF155.jpg

Or even better this
http://69.41.236.26/textures//textures/Metal/Rusty.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.