PDA

View Full Version : Finger rigging and facial expressions

R_Deckard
01-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Hello

I was just wondering, how do you move vertex on a dense mesh to make facial expressions (w/ blend shapes) if the Proportional modificator tool is a crap? how do you make? how to move it soft?

How to rig a finger and simulate the skin stretch while joint rotates?

thanks

mental
01-18-2004, 10:22 PM
R_Deckard, listen you've posted a bunch of questions throughout all of the maya subforums that can be answered simply if you opened up the Maya help files or if it's a bit more specific, use the search function.

folks around here don't mind helping others that are just getting started but you've got to be willing to also help yourself. you have the software, atleast put some effort into it and open up the help files: press F1, do the quickstarts and you'll have your answers.

R_Deckard
01-19-2004, 02:54 AM
Hi Mr. Mental. please donīt get me wrong, Iīm reading Maya help files, I have here the Maya 4.5 fundamentals, Gnomon Skinning series DVD, and I watch a lot Maya character forums around the world, I do search first and many questionsīve been solved that way, but the finger rigging, see.. sometimes paint wheights donīt do the job, so what? influence objects to every finger? if the body is a single mesh imagine one blend shape for each finger using a whole body deformation as reference and using a set driven key, itīs an absurd time consuming...
and the facial expressions? In gnomon DVDs he moves a little vertices on the face but what if the head mesh is pretty heavy? and the finger rigging of the "children" I couldnīt understand how to do if I have a finger more complicated than 3 or four vertices, these are very specifica questions that I couldnīt find the answer in CGTalk... :blush:
erm.. sorry anyway anything

regards
Rick:beer:

R_Deckard
01-19-2004, 03:07 AM
heheh forgot to say your avatar is funny, Iīm a big fan of Alan Mooreīs comic, (Swamp Thing and Watchmen are very best IMO)

kiaran
01-23-2004, 07:46 AM
Soft selection is a pain the ass and personally I would like Alias to stop dicking around with Fluid Effects and take control of the little stuff first.

You can create cluster deformers and paint their influence. Not as easy as a soft selection but it will do the trick if your mesh is really dense.

Fingers need influence objects. If you get proficient at it, it only takes about 5-10 minutes per hand. I guess you just have to bite the bullet on that one.

Good luck.

ph2003
01-28-2004, 03:57 PM
u can add blendshape on it.(about the finger strecth when the joint rotate)

u can add blendshape only for the hand part.....
just u some trick

1. duplicate ur original object(the single mesh with whole body)
2. extract the L/R hand parts, head part, L/R leg parts and the body part from the duplicated mesh and group it.
then u got 6 meshes with whole body, on a single group.
and a single mesh with whole body.
3. add the wrap on the 6 pieces meshes to control the single mesh.
(1st select the single mesh then toggle select the 6 pieces meshes GROUP and add wrap.)
4. then ur single mesh poly is deform by the 6 pieces meshes on each parts! thats mean u can add the blendshape on each part of the body.......
5. remember! add smooth/rig bind on the 6 pieces meshes, not the single mesh(coz the sigle mesh is deform by the 6 pieces meshes)

hope its help....^^

btw did u watch all the Gnomon skining video??
this trick is from the Gnomon workshop....(is a part from the subdv children skining part...... if im remember correctly...)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.