PDA

View Full Version : Color Layering question

batavia
01-18-2004, 11:44 AM
When painting, do you people create a greyscale image, then put a color layer over it...or do you go straight to color?
Which method is considered better? Or does it depend on the subject you're painting?
Thanks.

Ian Jones
01-18-2004, 12:04 PM
Thats not a very common technique. I usually hear about this technique from ppl who aren't confident enough to judge colour and value at the same time. They start a greyscale tonal image to nail the values and then work in colour later. Although this technique is pretty much workable, a trained eye can usually tell that an image has been made this way. Some of the shading can appear a bit flat and with obvious lack of richness in shadows. Getting values correct first is of course the most important thing. Colour is secondary to value, without value shape and form don't work very effectively. By all means go ahead and do a greyscale first but keep in mind that you should eventually be making the jump into colour and understanding colour value. Seeing values in all the colours is hard at first, but that's just a matter of training your eye and plenty of practice. I hope that helps.

L0sTPr0fEt
01-25-2004, 03:45 AM
well although ive used photoshop for many other things, i would say for painting, the most efficient way to paint and be able to edit everything you have done would be to create new layers whenever you paint different colors. when you do it this way you can change the layer blending modes, the actual color of the layer, the hues, opacities, and you can also use filters on the layers. just a suggestion, might be useful

cheers,
LP

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.