View Full Version : Merge Layers?
01-18-2004, 03:25 AM
I just bought painter 8 and just love the program. I was painting on several different layers and would like to merge several of the layers without dropping them to the canvas. In the manual it appears that you can not merge layers, you can only drop them to the canvas. Is there a way to merge without dropping to the canvas?
01-18-2004, 04:20 AM
Yes there is.
1.You have to group the layers you want together and then convert them to the default layer type. Make sure you shift select each of the layers you want including the group folder.
2. Now you should have the option of collapse in the layers option box. (sometimes you have to keep trying until the collapse option is usable(black) in the layers option tab)
3. Just hit collapse and hopefully it works. All those layers should be in one layer now!
I had the same question and that is how I have gone about doing it.... There might be another way(I would like to know it too.
01-18-2004, 09:21 PM
The method for collapsing ("merging") Layers is:
1. Highlight all Layers you want to collapse ("merge").
2. At the bottom of the Layers palette, click the Layer Commands icon (far left icon) and choose Group from the drop down menu, or use Ctrl/Command+G.
3. Click the Layer Commands button again and choose Collapse from the drop down menu.
However, if any of the Layers are set to a Composite Method other than Default, the Collapse option will be greyed out.
Depending on what kinds of Layers you have and what Composite Method each of the Layers is set to, the solution will vary.
To learn more about this, do a search in the Painter forum using the word ...
Then, if you are still in need of help, describe your image in detail, explaining what's on each Layer, what kinds of Layers there are, and to what Composite Method each Layer is set.
Also include a description of how you want this image to be in its final stage.
Then we can possibly help you fiind the appropriate solution for this specific image.
01-19-2004, 12:30 AM
Thanks guys, That worked perfect. I appreciate it!
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.