PDA

View Full Version : Setting bone START and ENDPOINT

Grey
06-24-2002, 04:35 PM
http://www.posergallery.com/wip/20020623-Grey153850.jpg

Okay, I ran into this problem in Cinema4D, and it was solved by the guys there and on Postforum... thanks mainly to Kaiskai.

Here's the issue I was dealing with: In Cinema, there is no way to manually enter the coordinates for the endpoint of a bone. Having 100% control over the bone's endpoint was critical to a job I was doing yesterday.

But as I said, the issue was solved with a work around that, IMHO, should NOT have been necessary.

Now: My question is THIS:

Is this true of other software? Do you NOT have control over the endpoint of bones when creating them in Maya, Max, Lw, XSI and Mirai?

kandyman
06-24-2002, 09:37 PM
Hmmm I dunno about entering coordinates offhand, but in max you can always create a dummy at the exact coords and snap the endpoint on creation...

There are also scripts that let you resize bones after creation.

marin

Grey
06-24-2002, 11:27 PM
okay, good work around... but it's shocking to me that that wasn't thought of in Max of all programs... :hmm:

fxgogo
06-25-2002, 09:19 AM
In Anaimation Master you can set your bone to scale with its target, so all you do is target the bone to a null, and voila. Now to do this in C4D, I would have to test it out, but it sounds like you got around it. If so, how did you?

dantea
06-26-2002, 09:31 PM
Coordinates for specifying start/end points for bones is easy with Houdini.

dante

Grey
06-28-2002, 09:57 PM
fxgogo, this is Kai's solution with some help at the postforum, but Just so everyone understands this here's how it happened:

nul object called TARG, and a Target expression to point to TARG

Start with one bone which will be my "Body Bone" add the expression and the bone points to targ.

I enter the coordinate value where my endpoint is going to be on the NULL object using WORLD coordinates.

pull the bone up till the little orance circle has the white null as a bullseye, then zoom in to make sure it's on target.

Grow new bone:

In the Object Manager: move TARG expression TO the new bone so that the old bone no longer has it (is there a way to lock it down so it can't move unless I unlock it?)...

Enter new coordinate values for TARG expression and move end of new bone till little orange thingie has null as bullseye...

and on and on and on...

Come to find out... afterwards, is that bringing in a BVH file is supposed to give the same results, but the BVH plugin I could never get to work...

fxgogo
06-30-2002, 02:56 PM
That sounds like a real long workaround. But at least it works. Have you spoken to Maxon about this? It might be good to suggest it to them that they find a solution to this, as it is quite useful to have that function.

Grey
06-30-2002, 06:33 PM
I'm kinda hoping that Maxon's paying attention to what's on the C4D forum... but I did send an email to them regarding it.

The other biggie was the DXF Spline Curve support.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.