PDA

View Full Version : Freeware 3d Modeller marbleCLAY

DotPainter
01-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Just downloaded this a little while ago and it seems pretty neat.
Even as a new beta, it has a fairly long history and some quite impressive features.

MarbleClay Homepage (http://member.nifty.ne.jp/escargot)

lildragon
01-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Interesting name and looking app, it looks like a cross between A:M and LW. Might just try it.

-lild

danistheman
01-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Is this the clay software people were talking about or is that something different?

JA-forreal
01-17-2004, 09:43 PM
Ah, I remember this programer from my old Raydream Studio days. He wrote some great tools for Raydream. ESV Psuedo Blur, ESV Utility, ESV Ghost and Etude3d. These apps are still up on his website.

dpvtank
01-18-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by danistheman
Is this the clay software people were talking about or is that something different?

No. This is different. Its very...weird to use.

DotPainter
01-18-2004, 01:05 AM
The interface is a little different, but it is pretty straight forward and has a lot of features in it. I really like the Clay Tool which subdivides edges, points or polys and heals ngons by creating tris and quads...... neat.

dpvtank
01-18-2004, 01:16 AM
I myself still suck at this app. I'll probably need some help with it. Any IRC for this? [I don't understand Japanese btw.]

DotPainter
01-18-2004, 09:23 AM
You can send an email to the applications creator. It is in the English readme file that came with everything else. Some functions may be disabled unless you register for free with him, but the only catch is that he asks you to send bug reports to him as a kind of beta tester.

I don't think he understands english too well either.....

As a beta app, I am not sure how much of the functionality is in there yet.

Zendorf
01-18-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the link, as I was quite impressed, considering I wasn't expecting much! Very easy to use and figure out, it is somewhat like a bastard child of box modelling and patch modelling...Wings meets Animation Master if you will. The proxy mode is especially impressive and I find it much easier on the eyes than the one in Wings.

Similarly the move tool is just like tweak out of Wings, with it automatically detecting if you want to move face/vert/edge. The knife tool is something most Wingers would kill for, with a very effective mirror mode to top it off...actually I found the mirror mode so good that I was unable to screw it up, once it was active on a model....something that couldn't be said of some other apps. Also with opengl acceleration this baby really flies , with little slowdown on larger models..unlike wings.

This app certainly aint going to replace Wings and my C4D/Mesh Surgery combo, but it is a lot of fun to use and considering it is in beta (looks like it has been for about 4 years) tis very stable and useable. My main faults would be lack of ngons (though it does have an interesting way of dealing with by using a dashed line mode) and lack of widgets...ie it is hard to know exactly which way you are moving elements at times. But hey I have only been using this thing an hour, and already made a basic character that imported fine into Cinema.

check it out :thumbsup:

dpvtank
01-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Yeah

I ended up registering my application. I will definately be sending Bug Reports as much as I can.

JA-forreal
01-19-2004, 02:11 AM
I registered right away. You gotta love independent software innovations like this one. It's really cool with a neat little uv mapping toolset to boot. The docs and tutorials get you into the interface quickly. He put alot of effort into this app and wants our feedback. I work with coders all of the time. Our artistic efforts and active response to their developments really get their creative technical sides going.

Have fun!

BiTMAP
01-19-2004, 05:49 AM
I tried it for a few minutes, and i found the clay tool quite impossible to do what i want. anyone able to explain the feel of how it works? like finger smearing clay, a sharp tool... ect. I just would love to be able to exploit this software for my use.

Zendorf
01-19-2004, 09:32 AM
I think you will find that the clay tool has been misleadingly named...maybe to do with the Japanese translation? All it does (as far as I can tell) is subdivide. Because the app doesn't handle ngons, the resulting mesh can look messy with all the tris that have been added around the subdivided area. Also, it is hard to isolate the area that is subdivided...I found it most useful to just create a rough poly shape and then subdvided the whole mesh and went from there, thus keeping all quads intact.

I found it easier to add detail by using the knife tool and just adding verts with the sweet make facet tool which is just like patch modelling. Up on the top left of the interface , you can change from displaying the standard poly mesh to spline mesh 1( proxy style display) and spline mesh2 (patch style mode). Even though it is not true patches( ie you are manipulating the proxy skeleton) it is still very nice to switch between these 3 modes, kinda like patch modelling and box modelling at the same time.

Has anyone else noticed that the z axis is facing in the y direction:shrug:

JA-forreal
01-19-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Zendorf

I found it easier to add detail by using the knife tool and just adding verts with the sweet make facet tool which is just like patch modelling. Up on the top left of the interface , you can change from displaying the standard poly mesh to spline mesh 1( proxy style display) and spline mesh2 (patch style mode). Even though it is not true patches( ie you are manipulating the proxy skeleton) it is still very nice to switch between these 3 modes, kinda like patch modelling and box modelling at the same time.

Has anyone else noticed that the z axis is facing in the y direction:shrug:

Wow your really getting the hang of it fast. I have my hands full with my work and Blender stuff. I have to setup some time to sample more of this app.

Keiyentai
01-20-2004, 02:15 AM
Looks pretty cool. Donwloading now.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.