PDA

View Full Version : Books or Tutorials on Painting in Photoshop!

D7akeshi
01-17-2004, 10:39 AM
HI!! I'm new to this whole world of digital painting....
Any recommendation of books or online tutorials would be much appreciated!!!!

Question: i'm pretty much starting from scrach in terms of painting, in fact, I'm starting my first painting class this semester.
So for u pros out there, how much of a correlation is there between traditional painting and digital painting? My goal is to be able to produce works like the ones posted in the gallery (in two years time...a bit of a strech here, but it's my goal:) ).

How crucial is knowledge of tradition painting in this case???

thx for ur time!

bumskee
01-17-2004, 03:38 PM
traditional painting?? digital painting???
it's the same thing, you are just on a different medium. all the theory and stuff behind traditional applies to the digital. just different ways of working with colour. painting it seems is lot more than just applying colours to canvas, as you probably know, so if you are starting from scratch you would have to study everything.

drawing will help you with forms and a quick way of visually outlining where you wanna go, and certainly studying colours will cruicial. I have a book by johannes itten, colour theory book, very good indeed.

as for techinical side of painting in photoshop/painter, it will take time and there is no short cut. Actually painting in general have no short cut just practice after practice.

good luck

batavia
01-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Actually painting in general have no short cut just practice after practice.

Very true indeed. The thing with traditional painting is the randomness with the brush strokes. With photoshop of course you can simulate such thing, and only the best digital artists can achieve the similar feel.

phoenix
04-06-2005, 08:27 AM
hi

u can try out this book ...

Digital character design and painting - the photoshop CS edition...

Regards

Therains
04-06-2005, 12:26 PM
well, the photoshop 7 wow ! book is a good chosen.

mdwsr
04-06-2005, 09:02 PM
I just got the Seegmiller book mentioned above. I haven't had time to read it yet but will report back after I do. It looks to be very good with just a quick skim. It also comes with a cd and a ga-jillion brushes and textures, I did look through them and many look very useful.

Looking at my bookshelf right now I see 17 books either on PS or digital art. All of them are good for something, but none of them are good for everything. One thing I've found is if they claim to teach you everything PS can do in one book don't believe it.

On a related note, one of my favorite CG books is "Secrets of Award Winning Digital Artists".

Desert-of-Seth
04-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Well,digital and traditional skills are almost the same (i mean,if you learn a technique in photoshop,you can apply it in traditional as well,like the textures on the skin etc.)

Both has advantages and disadvantages:When painting in digital,you have millions of colours to use,and can edit the picture anytime you want.It is also more enjoyable (in my opinion) BUT,the control over the brush is a great disadvantage.Even if you use a tablet.

And,traditional is good,cause you have absolute control over what you draw...But editing and fixing some mistakes is very hard compared to digital.

In the end,both are equal :3

davpunk
04-26-2005, 06:44 PM
Everything that Photoshop simulates is based off of traditional painting. Traditional painting doesnt have randomness if you learn to control the media, just like if you learn to control PS.
I would learn the traditional theory before you go into PS and digital paint, you will have a better understanding and be more equipped for the task.

-NG-
04-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Everything that Photoshop simulates is based off of traditional painting. Traditional painting doesnt have randomness if you learn to control the media, just like if you learn to control PS.
I would learn the traditional theory before you go into PS and digital paint, you will have a better understanding and be more equipped for the task.

Do you know some good books about the subjects of traditional painting? more theory books then a 1 manīs techniques i prefer.

davpunk
04-26-2005, 07:08 PM
I dont know of too many books, but there are plenty. Dig up painting on Amazon...but books are great and all, but Painting is hands on experience...and if you buy a book, its one mans-the writers theories... I would take classes. Books can only 'tell" you how to paint...an instructor can show you techniques-which is more valuable in my opinion. In photoshop everything that you do is based off of your knowledge or traditional foundation. If you cant draw on paper, ya wont be able to do much about drawing in PS. Same for painting, if you dont understand the principles of painting and color, opacity, stroke and technique- PS wont do it for you either. You provide the result...

BeckyWC
04-26-2005, 09:05 PM
I recommend getting "The Photoshop and Painter Artist Tablet Book". It will help you set up your wacom tablet and then take you through painting exercises. The book is by Cher Threinen-Pendarvis the author of the Painter Wow Series. You won't regret this purchase, it has helped me tremendously. Below is a link that has sample chapters of this book plus brushes used in the book.http://peachpit.com/content/downloads/peachpit/companion/0321168917/index.html?redir=1

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2005, 09:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.