PDA

View Full Version : Final Gather issue...

tobiasniva
06-24-2002, 01:25 PM
I have some problems with Mental Rays Final Gather (3DS Max).
I have this diffuse outdoor scene that lits up buy a map (background-bitmap as spherical environment)... The thing is, my pic is a b/w sky thatīs kind of neutral in itself but...the scene is way too much lit! Is there any way to dampen/darken the light that this picture emits?! (apart from the RGB-value since I think it looks right by now)... Or is there a way to have one picture as a background and a totally different one for use as the one that actually casts the light?! I looked for a value/energy in the Final Gather-section but canīt seem to find one...
How will I solve this?!?!

Some renders and Max-user-interface where I tried to change the settings in question...

click here... (http://hem.passagen.se/tobiasniva/render.htm)

Gamoron
08-27-2002, 12:37 PM
Try lowering the Energy and photons in the lights roll out themselves, under glob illum parameters. Also you might have to make sure the background colour of the scene is black I found out that this is very important!

tobiasniva
08-27-2002, 02:52 PM
The thing is that I have no lights in the scene - just the background picture to light everything up...and if you use just this way of lighting a scene there is no ENERGY-value or photon emitter-value that I know of. Read somewhere that this is just a flaw in the MR-connection to Max since all these values/parameters are to be found in for example Softimage, where MR is integrated in as a renderer...

/Thanx anyways...

Das
08-27-2002, 03:43 PM
Keep in mind that Max won't let you have a scene with no lights at all. If you don't create one, it puts in a 'default light'. This may be generating your extra light.

Try adding a light (any type - omni would be quick) and setting it's value and energy to zero. This will stop Max from creating a default light.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.