PDA

View Full Version : Tell us about yourself: Who here has trained in MARTIAL ARTS

Crazzy Legs
01-17-2004, 01:00 AM
All right guys, so who has studied martial arts at some point in there life? What style did you study?

Either currently studying or had studied at some point in your life. Even if you took one lesson it counts.

So why am I asking:
While I was at school, studying computer animation there was a great deal of people around me that had taken martial arts at one time in their life. They were either currently studying or they had at one point in their life studied martial arts.
Having made that observation at school, I would like to see if it carries over into a larger crowd of people.

To begin:
I studied:
Pan Am Tang Soo Do
and Shotokan

bentllama
01-17-2004, 01:09 AM
In order from what I started to learn at 12 years of age till now...

Wrestling [Freestyle, Roman Greco]
Sumo
Kickboxing
Boxing
Okinawan Goju Ryu
Hapkido

Looking for a good Sambo instructor in the Seattle area...contemplating learning Krav Maga.

Crazzy Legs
01-17-2004, 01:13 AM
Bentlama- Maybe if this goes well, We can hold a big CGTalk open style tournament. Winner gets a pat on the back.

CGLearner
01-17-2004, 01:13 AM
I took a whole bunch of stuff.... A long time ago... That I can't even remember what I took now.... Except for the street fighting class... That was fun...

My brother however has like 5 black belts and four brown belts or something like that... I stopped wrestling with him when I learned I couldn't win...

JMulder
01-17-2004, 01:21 AM
In order:

Tae Kwon Do
Karate
Aikido
Wing Chun (modifed)
Wing Chun (traditional)
Kajukenbo
White Tiger Boxing (more modified Wing Chun)
Tai Chi
more Wing Chun (traditional)
Jiulong Baquazhang

The only one I've been able to stick with is the Baquazhang...good instructor, good art (for me), good time and place in my life. An odd circumstance of trying all these teachers and arts is that I've been a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation Wing Chun student of Yip Man, who waws Bruce Lee's teacher (not that it ever did me any good...)

Signal2Noise
01-17-2004, 01:28 AM
I'm a

PIXEL NINJA

:buttrock:

KingMob
01-17-2004, 01:31 AM
used to do Wing chun

now I do
Hykado (love it love it love it)
Blends TOmiki Akido and Shotokan- Karate

Much love for the martial arts world.

:beer:

Rotamus
01-17-2004, 01:51 AM
im a black belt in Tae kwon do
good fun :thumbsup:

SheepFactory
01-17-2004, 01:57 AM
i used to do kick boxing but hurt my wrist bad and switched to swimming

polyester
01-17-2004, 02:24 AM
SWEEEEEET thread! Siggraph Tournament Anyone?!

I've noticed that a lot of people I meet in general have done some kind of martial arts some time in their life. I think it has someth'n to do with how "cool" it looks Hollywood style, so a lot of people naturally want to try it out, especially movie buffs, which would describe a lot of CG folk ;) That's my only guess to the link.

I just ried it cuz a friend of mine was really into it and he thought I'd be good at it; I got hooked big time!

I've studied a blend of:
Kenpo - American Kenpo, Tracy Kenpo, Chinese Kenpo, Progressive Kenpo-jitsu
Jujitsu - Kakuto yawara, Nippon ketsugo ryu, Small Circle
JKD/Kali - Inosanto method
Muay Thai
Savate
Silat
Wushu - Northern Shoalin, 5-Animal, Hung Gar
Wing Chun -traditional
Boxing - Western and Chinese
Shaolin

worst injury: broken ankle; got 2 screws in there now

- Poly

Joss
01-17-2004, 02:45 AM
Akido & Tae Kwon do

I needed the discipline. ;)

Cararan
01-17-2004, 03:25 AM
I watched alot of Dragonball Z. And it seem i'm able to do some of the stuff they do. Does that count for anything?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

typeA
01-17-2004, 03:55 AM
i dont need karate i have guns...:wip:

E.Z. Schwartz
01-17-2004, 04:57 AM
I've been taking Krav Maga. It's fun, but not really a martial "art".

Sentenza
01-17-2004, 05:17 AM
Trained ... why trained ? ... still doing it ... started 12 ears ago with Aikido and do it till today. Can't thing to really live well without it ... While I was in school I had a great period of time where I went very unstable to the dojo, or more worse, don't went there at all. That was a really bad time ... I also tried some different styles but I always went back to the good ole' Aikido can't say why but I liked it more than most of the other ones ...
And how can some of you guys manage to do so much different styles? I train up to 4 days a week ... and have enough to do and learn to manage one style really well. Also I'll need to go to work. You don't do it simultaneously, right?

zappenduster
01-17-2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by typeA
i dont need karate i have guns...:wip:

remembers me to "the untouchables": only a italian comes with a knife to a shootout =)

just a question how long did you all study one of the arts do you stay for a year or months or how do you realize its enough and you want to change ?

bentllama
01-17-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by E.Z. Schwartz
I've been taking Krav Maga. It's fun, but not really a martial "art".

Krav Maga IS a martial art. Just as much as Wrestling or Boxing.

Dirtystimpy
01-17-2004, 07:56 AM
that river in WA or BC?

oh, back to topic

I started Tae Kwon Do when I was in 4th grade, did 4 classes, moved to a town of 2000 in n. idaho>>>>so I did the 2nd best thing, watch Steven Segal and Van Damme movies in jr high. no one dared to touch my skills.

singularity2006
01-17-2004, 08:00 AM
I used to be into graphics like crazy and also into northern style shaolin (was it north or south?). Anyhow, it was the non-authentic shaolin style used specifically for lion dance perfoming, not self improvement/contemplation and meditation. I have long since fallen out of it. Ironically, I've long since fallen out of graphics too.... I do it sparingly.... very sparingly...

chrisWhite
01-17-2004, 08:12 AM
American Kempo for about four months now, but I'm loving it. I hope I time to keep it up atleast until I get my black belt in it and maybe move on to other arts, I'd love to take Tae Kwon Do, Jujitsu and maybe Judo or Wushu.

I also took some form of Karate when I was younger (dark orange belt) but I've forgoten allmost all of what I knew.

As an interesting aside, the reason I started martial arts is because I keep reading that dance or martial arts can really improve the skills of character animators.

Taking martial arts definitely gave me a better awareness of my body and how a body moves. A lot of people who haven't taken any martial arts don't get that it's very scientific. For example, Tae Kwon Do has a lot to do with momentum, using the physics of centripetal force. Say 2 guys the same build take turns kicking you in the gut. The first guy is a white belt and just uses his leg strength to kick you. Ooof! Big deal. I'm still standing. Then the next guy is a black belt and first torques his upper body, then follows with his hips, then accelerates his knee and finally his foot. That's already 4 things accelerating instead of one. But he just doesn't aim at your gut, he aims through you about a foot behind your gut. You will fly through the wall on that one.

So in terms of animation, since I know how the body should move to generate power, then I can translate that into keyframes much easier. Showing weight and power are two very difficult things to do in animation and I almost never get them right on the first try...

Jeff Lew - http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=821&page=1

Also, surprisingly, a book or two on the mechanics of dancing or martial arts because thatís all about controlling motion and learning how to convert the curves or your bodyís motion into a linear motion like a punch or a kick. When you are figuring out rigging systems and trying to solve animation issues itís all about dealing with conversions between linear space and rotational space. Mathematics, especially trigonometry, gives you the foundation from the formulation side of things, but dancing and martial arts provides the foundation for the breakdown of motion and mechanics.

Bradley Gabe - http://www.xsibase.com/articles.php?detail=31

samartin
01-17-2004, 10:28 AM
I am currently 1yr and a couple of months into my tae kwondo training, currently a
blue belt (intermediate) but should get my purple end of this month all going well...

We cover quiet a few styles, kenpo, ju-jitsu and when I get into the advanced
class we can start using escrima sticks, nunchaku's which is something I have never done...

I recently came 3rd place in the 1st ever tae kwondo tournament which was well
knackering, it seemed I was fighting back to back and I wasn't as fit a few months
ago (and now I do yoga and boxercise back to back, flexibility and then pure
explosive circuit training - shame it ain't the other way around)...

As a kid I trained in shotokan karate at the age of 11 upto 14-15, was a brown snake
(2nd kyu) but then I gave up, you know new interests and the like...

Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon was the kickstart for me. yooooaaarrrrrrr...

artstorm
01-17-2004, 10:57 AM
Let's see..

I trained Shorinji Ryu Renshinkan Kempo for a couple of years. Quite alot actually. When I moved to a new city I stopped as there were no school with that style there, and I didn't find another style that I liked as much... and then time passed on... Well... Maybe sometime in the future I'll take it up again.

Akuma-Fes
01-17-2004, 11:29 AM
I studied Wado Ryu for a good 5 years while in my early teens. I came second in the UK National championships when I was 14. I was placed in the Adult class and surprisingly I held my own thanks to my great teacher Sensei Kerry George Renshi and his teachings. :)

Bangladesh
01-17-2004, 11:57 AM
I trained Southern Shaolin five fighting fists/families for four years and then I moved to get a new job and that was the end of my Kung-Fu-Hero-dreams. ;)

parallax
01-17-2004, 12:53 PM
Been practicing Wushu (Bak Shaolin Eagle Claw) for about 4/5 years.
I'm actually looking for something new, its to much form and to little function IMO. Pretty nice art though.

Belts mean jack sh*t btw.
It takes you 10+ years to reach black belt status in a good Wushu school. I don't get all these guys that have 6+ black belts in various systems.

I have to agree, Krav Maga is more a defense system then a martial art in my opinion. Just like Pukulan (dutch/indonesian)

But that doesn't mean its less of a system to practice, on the contrary.:thumbsup:

Billy_the_Kid
01-17-2004, 01:10 PM
Hey, Amazing thread!!!!:beer:

1. Judo
2. Capoeira
3. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
4. Wrestler
5. English Boxe
6. Aikido (fantastic marcial-art)

Best regards from Brazil!!!

carlos Eduardo

erilaz
01-17-2004, 01:52 PM
Aside from tea, games and animation, martial arts are my most devoted passion.

I train in 5-Animal Kung-Fu and Tai Chi. Before that it was Shitoryu Karate.

I actually think that animation and martial arts work well together, due to the acute skills of body observation you aquire in both fields.

Rivendale
01-17-2004, 02:52 PM
I have trained:
Wado Ryu karate
Shotokan karate
Tae kwon do
It has been a few years now though. I too recommend animators to train martial arts, because of the great control you get of your body and a feeling for the energy flow of the body.

Troy
01-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Does anyone Trick?

I haven't done any martial arts training, but some friends who I go tricking with do wushu, wing chun, Capoeira...

Tricking is based on martial arts, but just involves the flips , tricks etc.

This is my best trick when I can land it:
http://www.trickstutorials.com/tutorials/tricks/doubleleg.php

(not performed by me)

Akuma-Fes
01-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Tricks are nice eye-candy but not much use after that.

polyester
01-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by zappenduster
just a question how long did you all study one of the arts do you stay for a year or months or how do you realize its enough and you want to change ?

Luckily, the guy that I trained under the longest had developed and even had a copyright on his own style. The style was called "modern kenpo" but it consisted of all the other styles I mentioned earlier except Shaolin. It was a nice well rounded system, good for finding your niche. I would have stayed training there forever if I had stayed in Memphis.

I actually started out with Capoeira, but didn't even mention it earlier cuz it was so not right for me; I was terrible at it. Even though I did Shaolin exclusively for about a year; that really didn't suit me either. That's what I liked about doing a mutt style; it was very Bruce-Lee-like.

I trained up to 5 days a week. Monday we might focus on stuff derived from Wing Chun, then Saturday we'd do Wushu. That way, if there was some style you weren't really grasping or enjoying one day, you could always stick around and find someth'n else you do like. Often times, the students would find one particular style they liked a lot and train for that with another class and continue taking the "modern kenpo" classes as well.

That should answer a few questions asked. Agreed that belts mean didly. Just braking my ankle set me so far back in my progression but I never did it for the belt anyway ;) I was just glad to be up and kicking again!

- Poly

Dave Black
01-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Bando

oh yeah, and the way of the gun. :D

-3DZ

samartin
01-17-2004, 05:09 PM
I have to disagree to a certain extent about belts meaning diddly, it is a good measure of how you are progressing within your martial arts. If you fail achieving your next belt then the person who is grading you knows for certain you can't cut the next level, which would then make you/me train even harder...

I failed one belt only during the shotokan karate era, it was my green belt (6th kyu I think), I was very :$ by this but it made me work much much harder cos' I would never allow it to happen again...

But it does mean diddly squat when/if you ever enter into any competition or heaven forbid get into any Real World bother...

Valrik
01-17-2004, 05:51 PM
I'm a 3rd Brown Belt in Shao Lin Kung Fu and I've been accused of knowing Capoeira and Brazillian Jujitsu. (but I haven't trained in either.)

Boone
01-17-2004, 06:39 PM
From the naive age of 5 - my brother( whos much older than me! ) taught me the art of "defending-oneself-from-the-older-and-more-sadistic-brother".:wise:

I have many years of experiance similar to that of Inspector Clouseau and Kato.

From the most childish scrap to the down-right-insane desperate grapple - I have seen many "theaters of war"...:twisted:

Now, I have my own style of fighting...yet to give it a name, though!

The Time Serpent
01-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Capoeira! :buttrock:
although havent been practicing it for several years due to a serious lower back injury.... but im thinkin of gettin back to it

btw tricks are not only eye candy, dunno bout other martial arts but in Capoeira tricks are the core, its all about trickin the opponet, also most tricks are also pretty powerful hits....
so
Capoeira RULEZ! hehe

pit
01-17-2004, 07:11 PM
12+ years of traditional Okinawan karate-do. Shorin Ryu.
And have to agree - itīs a great "reference" to have, when working with CA.

Rei Ayanami
01-17-2004, 07:19 PM
I did Judo for a few years (3 or 4) quite some time ago, i slowly forgot most of the stuff i learnt for active use.

I also did some shotokan but school work got on top of it and i just didnt have time to do it. I forgot most of that too.

Then i got into a fight, and it all came straight back, and i managed to pull of some trickie moves with perfect ballance (really perfect) and managed to throw someone twice my weight (im thin, he was fat) I did get suspened for it (^_^ / :( )

I hope to start Kendo soon, but i might not.

Of course, when i get to Japan, i will be taking up some.

polyester
01-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by samartin
I have to disagree to a certain extent about belts meaning diddly, it is a good measure of how you are progressing within your martial arts. If you fail achieving your next belt then the person who is grading you knows for certain you can't cut the next level, which would then make you/me train even harder...

I failed one belt only during the shotokan karate era, it was my green belt (6th kyu I think), I was very :$ by this but it made me work much much harder cos' I would never allow it to happen again...

But it does mean diddly squat when/if you ever enter into any competition or heaven forbid get into any Real World bother...

I concur; that is well put. I will reiterate: I don't think belts mean didly, just them being defined by their color means "didly". I do believe belts are a good thing to mark a level of achievment; they represent a goal. However, they should only mean something to you personally. They vary so much in what they represent that just telling someone the color isn't necessarily going to be telling them much of anything. This is logic that I'm sure all of us as martial artists are already aware of.

- Poly

Troy
01-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Tricks are not just eye candy, as the time serpent mentioned, tricks are part of the foundation of some martial arts forms, such as Capoeira.

Check this sampler out: http://www.sonicstrike.net/~tom/terada/videos/_stevesampler1.mpg

Crazzy Legs
01-17-2004, 08:18 PM
For anyone who want to get some extra time in training, outside of focussed training time, you guys can be doing push-ups, dips, sit-ups, kicking drills, and other drills while the words "loading" or "processing" are on your monitor. For someone who really wants to get some extra training time in .......practice while the word "Rendering" is on your screen.
If your normal Rendering methods don't take long enough to get a sweet going, apply Photon mapping....if your computer is really fast....apply more photons..........

bluemagicuk
01-17-2004, 08:45 PM
LoL crazy im not the only one doing handstand push ups while I
wait for renders then ? .... I get some funny looks at work hehe
One of the guys where I work likes to do his wing chun when its
quiet, we have a pretty relaxed environment.

I did ninjitsu years ago and every summer I go down the local
park and trick with some friends.

Its winter here so I am hybernating at the moment and .. doh gaining a few pounds.

cosmo_cheese
01-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Did a very internal style kung-fu for a while which had a lot of elements from Wing-chun and Tai Chi - which I studied in parallel. Tai Chi is so deceptive - I love the Yin aspect of it. A lot of people don't realize its power as a practical combat art.

Hey Blue Magic - whereabouts in Bristol are from?

polyester
01-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Crazzy Legs
For anyone who want to get some extra time in training, outside of focussed training time, you guys can be doing push-ups, dips, sit-ups, kicking drills, and other drills while the words "loading" or "processing" are on your monitor. For someone who really wants to get some extra training time in .......practice while the word "Rendering" is on your screen.
If your normal Rendering methods don't take long enough to get a sweet going, apply Photon mapping....if your computer is really fast....apply more photons..........

Yup, I spend a lot of idle time jump roping, quickly gets the heart rate going without having to wander far from the computer. Pilates and Yoga are nice too for those render times. They not only help you tone and practice balance, but it can also be great relaxation and regrouping break times. I also take some breaks for Dance Dance Revolution :blush: just to mix it up a little and keep from getting bored with any one thing. Go ahead and laugh but I'm gonna get in shape darnit!

- poly

FUG1T1VE
01-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Traditional Karate at age 7 for 3 months. We began to train for a tournament down in LA and I made my opponent pass out, he was a brown belt at the time and I, a mere white, donít know how that happened. I was disciplined big time, but then the dojo changed location and I didnít follow them.
Wing Chun and Tai Chi for 5 years, itís been 2 years since Ive practiced. I focused a lot on drunken style since I showed up drunk to class one time (fun times). I want to do some Capoeira but the classes Ive found are just way too expensive. I've also mixed break-dance into some Kun-fu forms (i.e. snake, tiger, mantis etc). Every now and then some friends and me do some wrestling. Jumping the ropes and running with my dog,with occasional push ups during commercials is all I do about now.
You should give Dance Dance revolution a try, it's also a good way to get some stuff in the mix.. ahahahah

speveo
01-17-2004, 09:56 PM
When I was younger I did Goju Kai Karate . . . hmm it was okay.

For the past 3 years I have been studying Tai Chi. It suits my body type perfectly seeing as I have week joints and tend to get injured easily. It's still a very tough martial art, people tend to underestimate just how much it works your body (when done correctly).

The most visually impressive martial arts that I have seen have got to be Capoeria and Contemporary Wushu (forms). Some of those dudes on the National Chinese team can fly man, I am telling you. :)

Have any of you ever seen the documentary This is Kung Fu? If you like Wushu, its a must see. Some brilliant forms, and some funny Qi Gung stuff towards the end. Check it out. You can buy it on DVD from Amazon.

FUG1T1VE
01-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by polyester
I also take some breaks for Dance Dance Revolution :blush: just to mix it up a little and keep from getting bored with any one thing.
Im not alone here :)

This is Kung Fu? placing order now :)

Akuma-Fes
01-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Troy
Tricks are not just eye candy, as the time serpent mentioned, tricks are part of the foundation of some martial arts forms, such as Capoeira.

Check this sampler out: http://www.sonicstrike.net/~tom/ter...evesampler1.mpg

I can't seem to view the above trailer. Don't get me wrong, i respect people who do tricks as they perform great feats of agility and do it with style and flair. I've spent countless hours of my life viewing and enjoying videos on www.bilang.com

It's just I can't imagine this ever having any purpose in a situation where you find you have to defend yourself:

http://www.trickstutorials.com/tutorials/tricks/doubleleg.php

That is after all the underlying reason to learn any martial art right?

bluemagicuk
01-17-2004, 10:53 PM
Hey cosmo_cheese you local yokel :P
I live in St George .. right next to the park :) How about yourself?

Akuma-Fes

The only reason I trick in the summer is because its fun throwing
your body around like a lunatic and because it keeps me fit.

Akuma-Fes
01-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by blue magic

Akuma-Fes

The only reason I trick in the summer is because its fun throwing
your body around like a lunatic and because it keeps me fit.

And there's ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that. :thumbsup:

bluemagicuk
01-17-2004, 11:04 PM
lol :cool:

pigwater
01-17-2004, 11:27 PM
aikido

got lucky with sensei's .. his membership # is 1 ... trained with ueshiba and first guy in U.S .., also in the black belt hall of fame ...

The Time Serpent
01-18-2004, 12:30 AM
Akuma-Fes: well this double leg trick in a good combo can serve as a. gettin away from the opponent low attack b. a both legs kick in the head,

in Capoeira tricks used to Deceive, Show Off and Hit, the degree of usability of tricks simply depends on your skill and ability to think

Capoeira is all about trickin

unclebob
01-18-2004, 01:41 AM
I have 6 years of:

Olympic style TaeKwonDo (not to be confused with ATA)
Hapkido
Arnis

and I can run like hell when needed. :beer:

bob

link84
01-18-2004, 03:32 AM
I am a white belt in Tae Kwon Do. I just started it only have had one session but it is fun to watch my friend spare (is that the word?) with the teacher or other kids. It is kinda funny my class is filled with little six year old kids and then you have me a 6ft tall person in the bunch

XLNT-3d
01-18-2004, 06:21 AM
Have any of you studied Whoflung Do?

...I think it named after that famous writer.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.