PDA

View Full Version : Mountains and Meadows WIP

chrisWhite
01-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Hey guys, I'm finally posting some of my work on CGTalk, granted it's only a WIP though. This is an exercise in doing landscapes in LW and I plan on generating different parts of the landscape different ways. Right now I've got the background mountain almost done, this is a sub-d plane with a bunch of procedurals running the displacement. All of the textures are also procedurals and gradients. So far this is just color and displacement, no diffuse or specularity yet. What do you guys think? Please feel free to be brutal.

http://www.kc-mtm.com/WIP/mountains_01.jpg

I do have a question, I'd like for the snow to be smooth but because displacement doesn't have a slope gradient I can't figure out how I would cancel out some of the layers of displacement where the snow is. The other thing I was wondering about, when you do height based things (the snow vs the foliage) how do you typically do that? I used a null and a gradient with Y distance to the null in this case, but I'm interested in how everyone else would do it.

Yes, I can't draw worth anything, but I just wanted to get my basic layout on paper before I opened up LW, I still will be changing some things, for instance, I may scrap the waterfall or move it to the left more and I plan on adding a giant tree (maybe oak or similar) on the right to help frame the shot. The foreground will be plains of saslight grass, if I decided to animate this, would it even be possible to make the grass move as if it's being blown in the wind, or would I need the full Sas to do that?

Thanks!

PanzerBoy
01-16-2004, 10:49 PM
I do have a question, I'd like for the snow to be smooth but because displacement doesn't have a slope gradient I can't figure out how I would cancel out some of the layers of displacement where the snow is.

That's cool stuff, N2Christ. Couldn't you save out the displaced object, select the snow polys, and then do a smooth? I don't have the LW manual handy otherwise I'd give exact steps, but I know there's a way to save the displaced object out.

Steve Warner
01-17-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by N2ChristTheKing
would it even be possible to make the grass move as if it's being blown in the wind, or would I need the full Sas to do that?
Hey N2ChristTheKing! This is off to a terrific start! Thanks for sharing it with us.

You should be able to get your grass blowing in the wind with the regular version of Sasquatch. Check out this thread:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29827

Keep up the good work!

Steve

chrisWhite
01-17-2004, 01:58 AM
PanzerBoy, that's a good idea, I may look into it as a last resort, I'd like to keep it in this form if possible so that I can easily edit it at a procedural level, though I will freeze it at the point of scene construction and rendering.

Steve Warner, thanks for that link, so you think it will work at all without Sas full? I don't own that plugin yet and, though I'll buy it as soon as possible, that's not looking like very soon at this point :cry:

AndrewE
01-17-2004, 01:54 PM
oh man, that's crazy good!

Can you do us all a favour?

Write a tut!

-mindcache-
01-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by AndrewE
oh man, that's crazy good!

Can you do us all a favour?

Write a tut!

There is a landscape tutorial over at DBKI

http://www.dbki.de/misc/tutorials.html

chrisWhite
01-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks AndrewE, I was really nervious posting here, I'm glad you like it. If you want to do landscapes check out these two tutorials:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/surface/texturing/texturing_landscape.html - Basically what I did, with a lot less layers of procedurals though.

http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14999 - Fairly simple, but covers a lot of ground.

If you take a look at those, and the tut that mindcache posted (and I like my finished mountain) and you'd still like a tutorial I'll try to write one.

-mindcache-, great link, I hadn't seen that one before.

aurora
01-18-2004, 12:27 AM
Thats looking pretty good. Are you using multiple displacement textures for it? If so could you use an alpha map or two to filter some of the displacment off or add smoother displacement mapping for the snow? Hard to say one way or the other without seeing how its laid out.
Do we get to see some of your work with WorldBuilder? I'm truely curious to see what you have been able to do with it. I know others have done blowing grass without Sas and I even have a tut bookmarked someplace. I'll start hunting through them and see if I can't find it.

chrisWhite
01-18-2004, 01:13 AM
Thanks aurora. I'm using multiple displacement layers on the terrain, but I've really started tweaking it and putting the small bump (rocks, unevenness in the ground, etc.) in the bump channel instead of displacement and now have it looking much better.

As for World Builder, I'm really not very good at all with it yet and I'm kind of holding off on it until I get the new version of WB and the LW connection plugin, but I do really want to learn it one of these days. I'm typically fairly comfortable in a landscaping program as I learned on Bryce and Terragen, with LW there is no longer any reason to use Bryce, though I think it's procedural engine is more powerful (though much slower) than LW's.

aurora
01-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Hey I think Proton has a potential solution for your grass blowing in the wind. Check out his ClothFx thread;
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116685

chrisWhite
01-20-2004, 09:42 PM
Thanks Aurora, that looks sooooo awesome :eek: By the way, do you have an instant messenger, I've been continuing to look into user group stuff and after I call NewTek today I'm going to send you an update on what I know.

aurora
01-20-2004, 10:29 PM
While I do have an Instant Messenger I must admit I often shut it off else I get nuked with msgs way to often. However I do check my pmails here several times a day. Else you could just Email me straight to this address: auroratdunn@netzero.com
I'll also have one from my new site in just a day or two which I'll send you directly. I'm excited to here whatever you find out!:bounce:

ASCIISkull
01-21-2004, 12:02 AM
For the snow, I suggest baking a grayscale image of the slope, and using that as an alpha for the displacement.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.