PDA

View Full Version : Rigid body muscles and soft body skin

leviathan
01-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Hi all,

Im trying to simulate the muscles sliding under the skin with the standar Maya tool.

I was wondering if some one has succesfully used the method of making the muscles of a creature rigid bodys, and the skin a soft body.

I tryed it, and the result is not bad, but there is a lot of vibration on the skin, as it slides on the muscles.

There was a thread time ago about that (here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59420&perpage=15&highlight=skin%20muscle%20soft%20body&pagenumber=1)), but no concrete answer or example.

Has someone used succesfully this method?

Thanks!

HotBox
01-17-2004, 10:38 AM
I have been experimenting with that technique since i posted that thread and have had no luck, in order to get rid of the vibration you need to increase the tesselation factor of your muscle, but the problem is that the skin gets major problems when i intersects itself.

nottoshabi
01-17-2004, 10:49 PM
I have tried that I had no luck. It just wasnt ment to be. I was thincking about cloth. So far I have had no luck in making sliding skin in maya...:shrug:

leviathan
01-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Huh,

this is not very good news... :hmm:

Ive also tryed to simulate the effect with sculpt deformers (with the geometry option enabled), but it seems not very controllable.

Any other idea? There is some commercial / non commercial work around? (For maya, not for other packages).

Thanks for your answers HotBox and Nottoshabi!
:)

kiaran
01-23-2004, 07:05 AM
I'm pretty sure sculpt deformers could do the trick. As for controling them, just hook em up to the rotation of joints via set driven key or an expression. Don't discard sculpt deformers all together.

Goob
01-23-2004, 10:08 AM
leviathan,

last year I have made some test with softbodys (only with an arm...).
I think it`s possible. What I have done is binding a polygon to a skeleton, make soft (make duplicate soft, goal weight 1) and use a spring to kill the vibrations.
The problem was, I didn`t found a way to adjust the friction per particle....
Next week I could send you the scene file, if you want.

cheers

goob.

nottoshabi
01-24-2004, 10:12 PM
Kiaran > How would you go about doing something like that?

Goob> I would also like to see that, if posible?

kiaran
01-26-2004, 07:22 AM
nottoshabi
How would you go about doing something like that?

I'll try it out when I get some free time and post the scene file. I'm sure it could be done.

leviathan
01-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Hi Goob,

I'd like to see your scene, thanks! You can send the scene to marco@furia-digital.com .I'll take a look.

Kiaran, I didnt experimented a lot with sculpt deformers. If you find a simple example, I also like to see it. Thanks!

kiaran
01-27-2004, 09:26 PM
Here is the scene file:

http://www.kiaran.net/muscleSlideTest.mb

I used a distance tool to determine how close the ik handle is to the shoulder at any given time. This is done instead of using the rotation of the joints because IK generates some unusable rotation values.

Anyway, the distance is used to drive the sculpt deformer that simulates the bicep sliding under the skin. It's a
stretch sclupt deformer with default creation options.

This scene with the arm was made in about 5 minutes and I'm sure you could make it look alot better with some polish.

Hopefully this works for you.

Goob
01-29-2004, 10:35 AM
Hi,

here is the link to the scene file:

http://www.goob.de/skinTest.zip

cheers

goob.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.