PDA

View Full Version : 27 Weta Workshop Produced Designs For EVANGELION

RobertoOrtiz
01-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Check them out and drool!

>> LINK << (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story.php?story_id=1901) (CGNetworks)

-R

Edit: Changed link to CGNetworks as Aintitcool was getting dead images. Zip download also available on CGN.

Boone
01-16-2004, 06:41 PM
I could only access the first B&W sketch - I like it.

Leaves me with a question, though - Just how are the Evas going to be done? Puppets? CG animation? Actors filmed at high-speed? What?:shrug:

funkbuttah
01-16-2004, 08:36 PM
That link seems to just give me the ole Cannot Find URL , I guess it's probably just the traffic.

typeA
01-16-2004, 11:56 PM
wowies thats some neato stuff...:cool:

Marc Andreoli
01-17-2004, 12:25 AM
you can't go wrong with hot chicks in tight suits, can you ? :D

Layer01
01-17-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Marc Andreoli
you can't go wrong with hot chicks in tight suits, can you ? :D

lol true but it is weird seeing the anime characters as "real" people..i still dont know if i'm %100 happy with the idea. but the evas/surroundings look very cool indeed.

Zeruel the 14th
01-17-2004, 12:42 AM
My day has just been made...i shall have to pass this onto my fellow anime fans elsewhere.

One way or another, good or bad...atleast it will look sexy. I'd settle for that...don't get too many giant robot movies...(Make Macross!)

siberianfag
01-17-2004, 01:10 AM
I'm glad to finally see a bit of a teaser for the movie, but as a fan of the series it urks me to see that the names of Rei, Asuka and Misato were changed. I understand that an American audiance will be more receptive to the new names, but still, was it really nessecary?

karabo
01-17-2004, 01:36 AM
definitely cool but I find it incredibly annoying that the character names have been changed from the original Japanese ones. What the hell is the deal with that?

Neil
01-17-2004, 01:43 AM
Is it really necessary to have concept art for something that has already been done... do you know what i mean?
Couldn't the concept art just be stills from the existing anime?

just curious, not making dissing

Technofreak
01-17-2004, 01:46 AM
they changed it for a western audience obviously

still, i love the nge series ...if the movie is half as good
it'll be a blockbuster

what i dislike more is that kate rose is more womanly and not
a teenager, it would probably compromise the story
but still, this is just the concept stage

minus
01-17-2004, 01:57 AM
I think more clairity is needed here. I wasn't finding it at the link posted. I love the concept sketches.. but what does Weta have to do with it? There is mention of a feature film.... if there is one in production any other news links about it?

I think just knowing that Weta is working on a Evangelion Feature film is awesome.... if that is what it is.

Is it Live action? -- All CG ? --- CG_Cell_Anim mixed?

JOSHUAtheJAMES
01-17-2004, 02:11 AM
Hmm. I don't see why they would change certain details to make it look less like the original. There is no reason.

That last girl design is bloody generic!

I'll definately see this!

-Joshua

SquirrelyJones
01-17-2004, 02:22 AM
I watched the original Evangelion and there was some pretty strange stuff in it that I don't think the general public, at least not in America, is ready to accept. Just like Final Fantasy TSW, I think that was a good movie but thare was a lot of just out there stuff going on in it that I think kept a lot of people from enjoying it, and square USA went bottom up because of it. If they can make an evangelion movie with all the stuff that made it great and keeping the weirdness to a minimum then it will be a success.

FUG1T1VE
01-17-2004, 02:47 AM
Why not use the original concept art from the original creators? I also find it incredibly annoying that the character names have been changed.. how do you go from Rei Ayanami to Ray? Asuka Langley to Kate Rose? and Misato Katsuragi to Susan Whitnall? What where they thinking.... more money from American Audiences? :surprised

ambient-whisper
01-17-2004, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Neil
Is it really necessary to have concept art for something that has already been done... do you know what i mean?
Couldn't the concept art just be stills from the existing anime?

just curious, not making dissing

everything in the animation is simplified. if you take those simplified concepts and make models out of them for live action movies, it will look like a dumb power ranger movie.

so you take the concepts, explore and refine them to work better within the medium, you win.

perhaps the director wanted to do something on the animation that he never could explore before and wants a different take within the same universe?

who cares as long as its good.

Jerkazoid
01-17-2004, 04:06 AM
how far do u think that will go? just names?

it certainly sounds like once again marketing is effecting the integrity of other peoples work.. (but when does it not?)

i beileve in Rescuers down under the boy was changed to a white blonde to sell more tickets.. It was marketing strategy, and really anoyed the crew. But it allowed for the story to reach more people, and it was a decent story. ofcourse this is hind-sight and... only bc the movie did so well and was so good in the first place is it, in the end, acceptable.

but shouldnt you respect what others have done before u go and copy it?

if American audiences dont like NGE the way it is (or the producers feel they wont) then why bother making it in the first place? more importantly.,, why even call it NGE?

lets just hope any more alterations of character are minimal. name changes seems so trivial, why bother changing them? and yet, is it such a big deal that rei = ray?

well...atleast it isnt worse (yet)

Myce
01-17-2004, 04:10 AM
looks kewl, interesting yes and glad that weta is doing the most of the visuals. some of the mecha designs are pretty close to the anime but the female character designs i dont like. They just look so western and feel it spoils the original characters. It just seems wrong to me. And wats with the name change?
why does the western world have to change everything to suit them? Makes me sick. Just another case of westernisation, no offence to anyone, just my opinion.
you can't go wrong with hot chicks in tight suits, can you ?
err from the concept art of "kate rose" i wouldnt exactly call her hot, far from it in my opinion and "susan whitnal" no comment on her :eek: gees
I hope they improve in these concepts, i really, really hope they do. for the love of god weta workshop if u guys ever read this, listen to us, we are ur critics, we are the ppl who will go see this.
I for one dont want to see this anime ruined just cos most of the western world dont understand anime.

phoenix
01-17-2004, 04:17 AM
like whats going on:hmm:

ambient-whisper
01-17-2004, 04:23 AM
btw. its Weta WORKSHOP thats doing the miniatures and such..the traditional stuff... from what i can tell, they did an awesome job on the Lord of the Rings and Master and Commander.

not the Weta Digital doing the Visual FX. Weta DIGITAL is working on King Kong, ( and i think still finishing up on the Extended dvd for ROTK? )

zionlocke
01-17-2004, 04:33 AM
Wow! Is that going to be a movie? Sweet concepts! It's too bad the concepts of the girls don't have beautiful faces. I hope it's a movie. That would look really cool!

Tuqui-tuqui
01-17-2004, 04:46 AM
I dont know guys... Ive been seeing a lot of concept sketches for months now. I posted a thread back in july that showed the same exact concepts. Unless they plan on releasing new concept sketches every 6 months just to keep us interested and waiting, I dont see much future for this. I know Im being negatice (blah, blah, blah) but it's just the way I feel about this film as time passes by and no film and digital/miniatures are created. Let's see if time will correct me.

BTW, what's with Rei/Ray's thunder-thighs? :surprised

ryusen
01-17-2004, 04:56 AM
so who are going to be the pilots? lucy liu, drew barrymore and cameron diaz?

PhilOsirus
01-17-2004, 05:02 AM
I hope people realize that Evangelion's creator is working closely on this movie before making the "they ruined it all!" comments.

AnimBot
01-17-2004, 06:40 AM
everything in the animation is simplified. if you take those simplified concepts and make models out of them for live action movies, it will look like a dumb power ranger movie.

so you take the concepts, explore and refine them to work better within the medium, you win.

ambient-wisper In most cases I definately agree with you on this. I think Evangelion is a special case though. Even though it's an animated series the characters have a very complex design take a look some these pics.
http://users.bigpond.net.au/nge/gallery/012.jpg
http://purlace.net/eva/evas/3evas077.jpg
http://purlace.net/eva/evas/2eva161.jpg
http://purlace.net/eva/evas/1eva004.jpg

There's just nothing simple about them. In comparison I think the details added in the concept art look like overkill. Of course this is just concept stuff and it's still early I'm sure things will be changing a million and one times over before anything final comes about.

BTW, what's with Rei/Ray's thunder-thighs?
umm... by thunder thighs are you referring to the more accurate human proportions.

Shinova
01-17-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Phil "Osirus"
I hope people realize that Evangelion's creator is working closely on this movie before making the "they ruined it all!" comments.

The question becomes how much of their complaints and suggestions are being ignored by the studio. :D

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that "Kate Rose" is the name of the designer. The same could be said for "Ray."

For sure, however, Ayanami's name will become something like "Ayanamiere." :surprised

Fitting 24 episodes + 2 movies in a single 2 +/- hour movie is impossible. No doubt the final product will be very different from the original.

If they pull it off decently, it might turn out alright.

Note: By canon, it's accepted that the 2 movies are the real ending to Eva, not ep 25 and 26. FYI.

Woyman
01-17-2004, 08:21 AM
I think most of the users here have my view on this. The settings and mechas are spot on, but the girls have got to go. They look way too overweight compared to the original characters. :)

I hope that Gainax didn't give WETA full rights and hope that they have something to say about the character designs... But really, other than that, I'm getting juiced to see some trailers.

Rei Ayanami
01-17-2004, 08:52 AM
no, they say at the top of the article that the original Japanese names have been changed into the more americanised versions. stupid americanisation.

The concepts of the eva's look nice, which they should, if weta failed to make something look good then they are not doing that well!!

it will probably be an ok movie, but with the team that is working on it thats not the issuie. Its that it doesnt have a chance of conveying the emotion et all that can be found in the series and films.

they are going to have a hard time getting me to go to this.

horoXhoro
01-17-2004, 09:07 AM
erm...this is not a concept art i can see...the origin is from gainax japan the team that design and produce NGE series

what weta digital did maybe is to bring NGE anime into live action movies..they add alot of details on evengelion

the kate rose? man.. i can't accept it :shrug:

can't wait to watch this in live action movies.after LOTR's smeagol and think NGE will look good in the movies if weta going to produce it...:applause:

brandish
01-17-2004, 09:32 AM
ah, well...

asuka rangrey looks like a middle aged american cosplayer... well, they will all look like cosplayers... can`t help that

concepts look cool ... actually the evas ("robots") look exactly like the original ones, just rendered in a movie concept artish stile.
kinda boring, could have done new designs...

all in all i hope they will just make a vfx robo slugfest and don't try to squeeze the whole evangelion story (which was excellent) in to one movie...

speveo
01-17-2004, 09:33 AM
None of the Final Fantasy games are dumbed down for western audiences (unless you call Japanese to English localisation dumbing down), yet the series does extremely well throughout the world.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children is not going to be dumbed down for a western audience, and lets see how much this affects its popularity. I wager not much.

The one thing that I personally love about anime, is the fresh perspective that the Japanese have on certain elements.

This movie is a money making attempt. Yet another Hollywood remake. *Yawn* Most likely they will take everything we loved about the series and flush it down the toilet marked as *inaccesible to western audience*

I want to see some exciting original ideas for a change. Evangelion has been done. We don't need to see a live action version. But it's alright let them waste another couple hundred million dollars, who cares. Nobody.

Yeah I'm cynical. :)

GARA
01-17-2004, 09:33 AM
ok, excluding the evangelions, characters and differ in original uniform...

i must say, the scene, buildings and such look really awsome in these concept works...the colourings are beautifull

jinchoung
01-17-2004, 10:49 AM
what the heck,

are they thinking of casting halflings? jhc, if you're gonna make an adaptation of anime that prominently features chicks, they've ALL gotta be the proportions of a charlize theron, rebecca stamos, heidi klum, the cast of victoria secrets catalogs, hawaiian tropics chicks, or the women of playboy, penthouse, perfect 10 or club - but not hustler.

all those girlys lookin' like they're children of long time residents of jupiter....

we gotta stretch em out, pump them up, slap a coat of urethane on them and call it a costume and then strap on some stillettos or a gigantic pair of f-me boots - no FLATS for heavens' sake!

jin

P_T
01-17-2004, 10:58 AM
just wondering, if it's gonna be live action, why make concept art for the human characters?? is it for their suits?

blacknight
01-17-2004, 11:04 AM
i just hope that thoose are early concept for the characters, becouse asuka dosent look like a 15-16 year old kid, so that would have a great impact on the personality of the characters and the way the think and evolve trought the series at least, hope they dont change that, and that goes especially for shinji, becouse he start like a kid and evolve to a man at least that what missato says to him before she dies, i dont think is good idea to make a live action film out of an anime series.

klingspor
01-17-2004, 11:07 AM
I can only agree with Speve-O... Evangelion has been done. It's over, all has been told. Anyone can go out and get the DVD for viewing. Now if some people just "don't get it" (pardon the pun), then I still see no reason for wasting cash on yet another remake.

And with all due respect for Weta Workshop, I think those character designs look quite horrid. I've seen less generic designs in mid 80's Atari games. The mechas and environments look neat, but as quite frankly they had a good basis to work with, it's not surprising.
But the characters... for the love of god, how can you change a cute teenage girl like Asuka into this awful Kate Rose? She looks like she's in her midlife crisis for gods sake! Who'll be casted for Shinji, Pierce Brosnan??

DotPainter
01-17-2004, 11:10 AM
The concepts for the sets look good. However the drawings of the characters look a little like cheap americanized manga characters :p.

Anyhooo, it seems odd that whenever the Japanese try and make a live action version of a anime "giant robot" classic, it always gets westernized and becomes a case of technology (sets, technical implementation of fantasy elements) over story.
Usually, the Japanese creators go to a western SFX outfit and I don't know what happens, but the "spirit" of the original concept always seems to get lost. The live action gundam movie is a good example (ever heard of it?). Maybe the cost of doing such movies in live action coupled with the lack of top notch Japanese SFX studios adds to the pressure to westernize the plots. A good Japanese SFX studio would make it easier to make Japanese anime concepts to live action, without losing the "spirit" of the piece to the technical issues of how the VFX should be done. I guess having to go to western SFX/movie studios, initiate them into the Japanese aesthetic in art and translate that into film can be a bit problematic especially with the language and cultural differences.

If these types of flicks could be produced primarily for the Japanese audiences first and everyone else second, regardless of cost, I think the efforts would fare out a lot better. If the animated version gained international fame with the original Japanese plot and characters, then why not the live action version in the same way?

And how much rethinking of the original makes it not the same story anymore? Just think of it this way, if King Kong was not set in New York and the ape climbed up the Eiffel Tower in Paris before being killed, would it be the same story? If it is, then why change it, other than to satisfy French moviegoers? The spirit of the piece appeals to everyone because of the universal emotions/feelings it brings up, not because the main characters are Japanese or that the story is set in Japan. However, by the same token, there are some unique characteristics of Japanese culture that would make a storyline like that of NGE more believable and add depth to it. Much in the same way the flashy and gritty capital of hype and consumerism, New York City, added depth to the greed and capitalist nature of the ones who captured Kong in the first place. Layers of subtleties like these in the plot is what makes the original NGE so great to begin with....

psyop63b
01-17-2004, 12:39 PM
I've only seen the 26 episode series, but I can't imagine they could make the story any worse. The basic rundown of each episode was this: monster shows up, kids do battle, Shinji wets his pants, one of the other two kids save his bacon. Although maybe it's lost in the translation, but I didn't see Shinji go through any real character development (if you can call it that) until the end of the last episode. And although in the end a face is put on the monster menace, its not a very convincing villian for one, and two, he just came out of nowhere.

There were so many questions that were not answered in the series, such as why these monsters came to earth, why they almost always land within extension-cord distance of Tokyo-3, what caused the second impact, was there a first impact, what makes the kids uniquely qualified to pilot these mechs, etc etc.? These answers should have been in the series.

I definitely hope they keep the children in the 15 year old range. Don't make it like any other teen movie and cast 28 year olds to play high school kids.

Digimatrix
01-17-2004, 01:27 PM
@psyop
yeah, I think you are right.....you know we have to make things american friendly to make the money. it's too bad.
Art looks great, though. I just one upped my bf, he thought the movie was going to be 'normal' animation. HA HA , HE thought he knew what I was talking about....until I said WETA.

thhchx
01-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Japan is a different country, with different culture. The viewers have different mindsets.

Evangelion was never a new creation. TV series/story was also never created for the American audience.

I don't undestand why we should judge the original series/creation based on 'the American' thing. So, they don't conform to what 'the Americans' expect to see, so it sucked? It's as good as fail yah? ....unless I'm wrong, Japanese aren't Americans.

Their mechas are simplied in the anime?? Of course!

How about Bandai kits? are those too simplied too? Guess they are, yah?

Gundams are simplified too for the animes. Anyone seen their PG model kits? Too simplified too yah?

C'mon, just leave them be. These movies aren't made for brainiacs. Movies such as these are just for the fun of it. Yes it's gonna be eye candy. Yes it's gonna be $$$.

Afterall, it's up to the audience to choose to watch. Don't like, then don't watch.

I for one will watch it, just for the heck of it. I'm curious how 'Americanised' it's gonna be. I'll be expecting tons of cliches and stereotypical representations.

SkullboX
01-17-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper

No argument that for traditional animation you have to optimise the design to make it managable. And naturally to translate it into a realistic movie you need to rethink the amount of detail and the rendering. However, what WETA did here wasn't refine the concepts to fit the quality and realism you'd expect in a real life movie, they just added a lot of random shit and bubbly lines. The brilliance of the original was, in my opnion, the flow of the eva due to its clean and subtle design. After all, it's is a metal armor suit, the outside is not organic.

I doubt I'll 'accept' it mainly due to the changes to the characters - from 14-year-old schoolgirl to 35-year-old cosplayer - but I hope they manage to put in enough of the action and eye candy to make it enjoyable. Personally not such a fan of the entire series, but the EVA's are awesome and combined with the music of the series it should be quite a thrill.

speveo
01-17-2004, 03:42 PM
thhchx: I wish I could spend 200 million dollars just for the fun of it, as well as most third world countries . . . just because hollywood has made grotesque money wastage the norm doesnt make it right. Whether I choose to watch it or not, money has been spent and wasted. Period.

No matter how good or bad the movie is going to be, Evangelion has been done. The theme has been explored and tested. Japan moved on, and so should the film world.

PhilOsirus
01-17-2004, 04:02 PM
WHINNERS!!!!

Seriously, the concept art does not dictated the shape and size of the actors that will play them, wake up. Did the characters in LoTR look like black and white sketches? There's a big difference between concept art, animes, and live action movies. Concept art is to put CONCEPTS on paper, from there the costume designers and such will work to make a costume based on the CONCEPT art.

The question becomes how much of their complaints and suggestions are being ignored by the studio.

By the studio or Evangelion's creator? First of all it is HIS work, HIS story, not the fans. He didn't need to ask anyone about how to make Evangelion the first time around, why would he need to do things according to the fans wishes now if not asking you made Evangelion successful? It's going to be a 2 hour movie or so, so expect it to change.

You DO know that in the Evangelion videogame they created a whole new Eva-01, that in the Super Robo Taisen video games the Evangelions battle aliens along with Mazinger, Getta Robots, etc right? There is no story to follow, especially since this will be Evangelion's creator's view of what the live action movie should be like, not the fans-to-be.

zephirio
01-17-2004, 04:19 PM
It's great to noe there's going to be a NGE movie. But the costumes n chars have to go. cos adults aint going to fit into the chars. ("susan whoever" looks bad) n the names r worse.
The Evas dont really look good. Actually, the original designs gainax have went through r enough, yes, they need to be refined in 3D, but not too much, (see Eva-01's head: the piece of thing on its head looks awful)
the landscapes looks good thou

This "americanize" thing is juz a bad idea, Its gonna spoil the original concept.
Juz hope they dont screw it up.:shrug:

Dusk108
01-17-2004, 05:26 PM
I've noticed a lot of the Concern about this potential movie is in the names and supposed westernization of various aspects of the plot. I'll say up front I agree with lots of people the Evas and settings look great but hte characters worry me.

No matter what anyone says, the Evas weren't the purpose of the series, they were a method to explore the characters. There is so much subtlity in the series portayls of the characters. Part of that was because the main characters were 15 and also because they were in Japan.

Another thing that worries me is the absence of shinji at this time. He is the main charcter of the series, so were is he? Is this gonna be some mechanized version of charlies angels (shudder) or is there going to be serious effort to maintain the inegrity of the series.

FF:SPW suffereed heavily from westernization as well as loosing sight of the various worlds that final fantasy games were composed of. Where were the chocobos? Bahamut? There was nothing final fantasy within the movie at all, so why call it final fantasy? As I watched the movie I almost laughed out loud at all the western cliches getting mixed into japanese cliches. Is this going to be Neon Genesis? A movie with almost no relevance to the original? With only the name of the series and a few cosmetic similarties being the only thing tieing them together?

On a side note, I think it's bad luck to have a character with the last name of Ross in a potientially culture spanning movie, particularily since both Asuka and Aki Ross were partially asian and caucasian.

ASCIISkull
01-17-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Phil "Osirus"

Seriously, the concept art does not dictated the shape and size of the actors that will play them

This is a good point...

You DO know that in the Evangelion videogame they created a whole new Eva-01, that in the Super Robo Taisen video games the Evangelions battle aliens along with Mazinger, Getta Robots, etc right?

Do the Evas have their extension cords?

thhchx
01-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Speve-O
thhchx: I wish I could spend 200 million dollars just for the fun of it, as well as most third world countries . . . just because hollywood has made grotesque money wastage the norm doesnt make it right. Whether I choose to watch it or not, money has been spent and wasted. Period.

No matter how good or bad the movie is going to be, Evangelion has been done. The theme has been explored and tested. Japan moved on, and so should the film world.

Ahhh... my last few paragraphs are misleading aren't they?

So what is Hollywood? No one has 200 million to spend, but they have! And they do that all the time. Right or wrong?? My gosh, is there such a thing? To you it's "grotesque money wastage", to them? It's just a 'normal business venture'.

We have no control over them. Shout, scream, hire our good old Osama to bomb them. Is it going to change anything? They want to waste $$$, let them waste. It's their culture.

Hence I said, "don't like then don't watch".

Oh and one more thing. IMO, Hollywood doesn't represent the film world. Hollywood is just Hollywood. Just because they are loud doesn't mean anything. Again that's their culture to be loud. And, there are lots of good films out there which have already 'moved on' - or should I say there are other 'film worlds' which have moved on?

D-3
01-17-2004, 06:41 PM
sincerely I didn't like some a lot alterations that did in the concept of EVA... mainly the main eva.. the head this totally ridiculous with details without sense... did the body receive a details that it didn't also please me.... do I think should ask for the own designer of the eva to improve the eva for the film.. did I already see illustrations of him detailed of evas.. do I have in a book of him in my house... and is it really spectacular... when will it be that will really see in the screen something good related the mechs?? is everything very Americanized.. and particularly I don't like American style of representing robots... is one of the few robots that survive in American films the apu of the matrix.... do I hope it is good.. would a very big deception be for all what like of eva to see him deformed in the screen... do I believe and do I hope that doesn't happen!!

ambient-whisper
01-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by SkullboX
However, what WETA did here wasn't refine the concepts to fit the quality and realism you'd expect in a real life movie, they just added a lot of random shit and bubbly lines.

you also have to consider that what we see here is just a very tiny fraction of concept art that is done for the movie. look at the numbers and you will see them go above 200. and how many images do we have here? 10? 15?

personally i like what i see. no need to replicate what was already done. you never know, it could even end up being better than the series was.

Tuqui-tuqui
01-17-2004, 06:57 PM
...personally i like what i see. no need to replicate what was already done. you never know, it could even end up being better than the series was.

I doubt that.... but I hope it is entertaining to watch. After all, we do have to give these guys a chance to see what they produce.

BTW, everyone keeps mentioning the "creator." His name is Hideako Anno, and dont forget that ADV films is also financing this venture.

Anyone know who might direct this?

Boone
01-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Who gives a shit what their names are? What matters is the presence of character.

The name of Misato Katsuragi means nothing to me. What matters is the "character" of Misato - bullying Shinji, shagging Kaji, bitching with Ritsuko...bla...bla..blaa...

Now what I am pissed off about is that Vin Diesel isn't playing Shinji.

DOWN WITH THE WIMP!!! WE NEED A F***ING HERO, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!:twisted:

Rei Ayanami
01-17-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Boone
Who gives a shit what their names are? What matters is the presence of character.

The name of Misato Katsuragi means nothing to me. What matters is the "character" of Misato - bullying Shinji, shagging Kaji, bitching with Ritsuko...bla...bla..blaa...

Now what I am pissed off about is that Vin Diesel isn't playing Shinji.

DOWN WITH THE WIMP!!! WE NEED A F***ING HERO, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!:twisted:

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! whoa boone, you had me in tears rolling around on the floor with that last comment!!

can we have Vin Diesel playing shinji?

THe names all mean stuff, Rei means soul (very ironic for rei, go watch the series) so you cant just change the names and expect the chars to stay the same, it just doesnt happen!

Boone
01-17-2004, 08:26 PM
Re: Rei Ayanami.

Yeah, but chances are - the story-line has been changed as well. So there!:p

And yes - Vin Diesel is the guy for the job! Hopefully this time - "Shinji" won't be shoved aside by his class mates with remarks such as...

"THATS Shinji's Guardian?!? Hahaha...he'll be no match for us! Misato is ours..."

..."Vin" won't stand for it!...

"Yeah - well thats my wife you're talking 'bout, there. I give her all she needs - and she loves it. So stay outta my way...or you'll be taking a jump outta the window.":cool:

angel
01-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by thhchx
Ahhh... my last few paragraphs are misleading aren't they?

So what is Hollywood? No one has 200 million to spend, but they have! And they do that all the time. Right or wrong?? My gosh, is there such a thing? To you it's "grotesque money wastage", to them? It's just a 'normal business venture'.

We have no control over them. Shout, scream, hire our good old Osama to bomb them. Is it going to change anything? They want to waste $$$, let them waste. It's their culture.

Hence I said, "don't like then don't watch".

you are right, all that one has to do is looking at the credits at the end of a film... you know all those people names.... they didn't work for free. Movie making is a business, you make movies to make money, and if you want to make a movie to make money you have to invest money. Studios fund a movie hoping for it to be a hit and make the investment back plus interest and therefore be able to fund the next film.

If a movie cost 200 mil to make is because there is serious crap to build and destroy, artists, animators, modelers, actors, directors to hire and so on ... all these people behind a movie want to get paid. What some people call "grotesque money wastage" I call "getting paid". Besides, who do these people think they are to tell others what to do with their cash?

Boone
01-17-2004, 09:07 PM
C'mon, guys - its a movie they're making, not a cure for cancer!

Its got Gainax, ADV Films & Weta workshop producing the film - what more reasurance do you bloody-well want?!?

They changed the names - whos going to give a damn? Only the die-hard fans - who need to get out and breath the fresh-air a little more often - will care. The majority of the audience is going to see it to chill-out for 2-hours.

The film just needs the following from the series...

1) The music...

2) The human element...

3) Evas! Angels! Doing their stuff!

4) The comedy!

5) Pen-Pen!

6) Misato - sorry, "Susan" - being a complete slob!

speveo
01-17-2004, 09:22 PM
My comment must be misleading then, let me simplify it. No shit Hollywood is a business, I am not some retard who doesn't understand the film making process. People get paid to do shit? No!!! :) Those sets cost money? Revalations!!! How do you guys figure this stuff out? :)

200 Million Dollars can do amazing things and I think it's a terrible waste spending it on an Evangelion movie. God knows there are people outhere who could do far more interesting things with 200 Million then an Eva remake. My opinion, deal with it.

I am not telling people what to do with their money, but I still have the right to be unhappy about what they do with it. But who am I to question the ethics of greedy hollywood executives! Sorry.

It's all good gents, I am just not that excited to see an Eva movie, no matter how good it will be.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

:beer:

speveo
01-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Boone: If they keep Pen-Pen, I'll be impressed. :buttrock:

Rei Ayanami
01-17-2004, 09:50 PM
If they have Pen-Pen, i WILL watch the movie in the cinema at least once. and get it on DVD.

I would go and see it with ya boone if penpen is in it (im that serious, but it just aint gona happen)

PhilOsirus
01-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Do the Evas have their extension cords?

Actually in Super Robot Taisen MX the Eva is the same, but it probably does not have the extension cord since all the robots can fly and go in space, I suppose it can as well, not sure. Regardless it ties to story to a bunch of other Mech series like Mazinger, Gundam, etc since all the robots are playing out in the same world. You can see some screenshots here. (http://www.the-sugoi.com/compose.php?Ndate=04122003&Nnum=5)

The Eva's new design is in the Evangelion PS2 game (http://www.the-sugoi.com/compose.php?Ndate=08112003&Nnum=6). It has a new suit placed over the original frame.

So in the end there is nothing to "respect" other than making the movie good. And since Evangelion's creator would never let his serie under someone else's supervision, all complains should be directed at him and not WETA.

Boone
01-17-2004, 10:41 PM
Re: Rei Ayanami.

Sure - I'll even drag the rest of the guys along to watch it with us!:cool:

BTW, Where's the Cinema? What - over there? Where? I still don't see it...:argh:

Rei Ayanami
01-17-2004, 11:12 PM
Boone : stop cracking jokes! ive laughed to much this evening!

Phil : if you fit an Eva with an S2 Engine, like the Mass Production Eva's then you have unlimited range and power. So there is no reason why the later eva's have to have power cables. All NeonG geeks know that... even though boone refueses to accept End of Eva...

ASCIISkull
01-17-2004, 11:13 PM
I'm not too horrified by the names... as long as they don't change Dr. Ikari to Egon, Fjutski to Peter, and Shinji to Winston...

After all, that would lead the way for PenPen being green and translucent, and the Angels being ghosts which the EVAs fight with giant vacuum toasters...

So as is it look good^_^

angel
01-17-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Speve-O
My comment must be misleading then, let me simplify it. No shit Hollywood is a business, I am not some retard who doesn't understand the film making process. People get paid to do shit? No!!! :) Those sets cost money? Revalations!!! How do you guys figure this stuff out? :)

200 Million Dollars can do amazing things and I think it's a terrible waste spending it on an Evangelion movie. God knows there are people outhere who could do far more interesting things with 200 Million then an Eva remake. My opinion, deal with it.

I am not telling people what to do with their money, but I still have the right to be unhappy about what they do with it. But who am I to question the ethics of greedy hollywood executives! Sorry.

It's all good gents, I am just not that excited to see an Eva movie, no matter how good it will be.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

:beer:

good thing you are not the one shelling out the dough.
You are very a mature individual. Nice way to get your point across. I thought that this kind of language was filtered.

anyways, if you think it is boring simply don't go watch it.:shrug:

SkullboX
01-17-2004, 11:17 PM
you also have to consider that what we see here is just a very tiny fraction of concept art that is done for the movie. look at the numbers and you will see them go above 200. and how many images do we have here? 10? 15?

Surely there are loads of concepts, but t's not like WETA randomly picked some concepts to release for the public. There's room for improvements without a doubt, but I can hardly imagine they're posting stuff of which they're not serious about as an option.

personally i like what i see. no need to replicate what was already done. you never know, it could even end up being better than the series was.

I'm not judging the movie itself yet either. Regardless of some of the bad signs I'm still looking forward to how they can translate it to live action/cg, if only for seeing the eva's in 3D...

By the way, the distinction between WETA workshop and WETA digital has been made, but is WETA only involved in the concept phase, or will the digital section pick it up for the visual effects after the shooting as well?

speveo
01-17-2004, 11:39 PM
SNoWs: Relax, it's a Saturday and I am slinging around my opinion of the Eva movie, not trying to run for president.

It's not that it's boring, it just it would be so much more exciting to see huge support put behind more original content.

Imagine a Japanese production company remade Thundercats into a live action movie . . . no wait, that could be interesting. :)

Anyway, no harm intended.

siberianfag
01-17-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by psyop63b

There were so many questions that were not answered in the series, such as why these monsters came to earth, why they almost always land within extension-cord distance of Tokyo-3, what caused the second impact, was there a first impact, what makes the kids uniquely qualified to pilot these mechs, etc etc.? These answers should have been in the series.

The angels came to Earth to complete themselfs by merging with what Nerv thought to be Adam but was actually Lilith. They "almost always landed within extension-cord length" because the sorce of the EVA's umbilical cords was the house of Lilith and Adam. The second impact was caused by the Katsuragi team reverting Adam to a fetus. The first impact was the Big Bang that created the Earth. And the kids were able to pilot the machines because their mothers dormant souls were asumed to be the core of the EVA's thus leading the EVA's to allow the children to sync with them (with the exception the Rei, who had no mother but was instead created out of that which was the angels thus making her able to weakly sync with unit 00).

With that said, I want it known that I have faith in Weta and Gainax and I believe that they will, together, create something compairable to the series. In the same sence that the X-Men movies and cartoon series are compairable to the comics. The EVA movie (which won't even be released for a few more years) will be something with the same premise as the series, but a different direction from what I've gathered through many websearches. Those of you looking to further your knowledge of what is online outside of this thread can do a Google search for Project [re] which is the temporary name.

Also, if anyone speaks Japanese try looking at Gainax's offical page www.gainax.co.jp. I'm sure that they have some info there.

angel
01-17-2004, 11:57 PM
It's cool, maybe you are right and I should take a break, yep I'm working on saturday:surprised have to meet deadlines.

Ah, I know what'll do, I'll pull out my NGE DVD set and watch a couple of episodes.

later

natdogmmx
01-18-2004, 12:33 AM
WOW!!! Looks great!! cant wait intel the final render of it all

BTW is it going to be live/3D or all 3D or all Anime??

DotPainter
01-18-2004, 12:46 AM
It is funny how re-working the original series is nothing new to this director. When the last two episodes aired in Japan, supposedly a lot of people were kinda gassed about the happy-feely ending that came out of nowhere. So what happens? They release the two new movies that supposedly the "real" ending of the series.

"Whoooooooaaaaa!!!! That was waaaaaaay gnarly dude!!!!", seems to have been the response of many who viewed the movies, so now they are supposedly working on another animated version!!!! Maybe this time it wont be happy feely or insanely masochistic, but just right, ie: shinji gets his thing on with one of those eves and and, .... and there is peace and a new beginning......:thumbsup: !!!!

siberianfag
01-18-2004, 01:02 AM
From what I've read since June, Project [re] seems to be live-action with 3D integration. Rumor has it that Shinji will be played by Harry Potter (http://www.ngeva.de/gainax_projekte/project_re.php) and that page can be traslated using BabbleFish if you can't speak German(http://babelfish.altavista.com/).

Also, for those of you who aren't very familliar with the series or have some questions regarding its backstory and/or characters check out
http://www.lwhy.clara.net/nge/

I know it won't happen, but I think I would like to see Eva-R (www.eva-r.com) made into a movie, animated or not. Though, it does feel a little TOO much like the series.

IkerCLoN
01-18-2004, 01:26 AM
Oh my god, an Evangelion movie for those little american kids and mainstreamer teenagers... ˇNO, PLEASE! I don't like the way Hollywood is doing these last years: they ran out of ideas and they're importing excellent foreign films for remaking them. They did with "Vanilla Sky" (remake from "Abre los ojos", spanish movie), "The ring", "Dark Water", "The eye"... more and more. And I can't understand it. The question is WHY? Yeah, I know they would earn a lot of money and things like that but... what the hell the american audiencies cannot see foreign actors or movies?

I don't know if it's an animated version or a real movie, but I don't want Kirsten Dunst playin' Asuk... er... "Katie Rose" (damn). I hate her :thumbsup:

And a dude said before that all the episodes of Evangelios followed the same line. Man, you are wrong... ;)

Tuqui-tuqui
01-18-2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by DotPainter
It is funny how re-working the original series is nothing new to this director. When the last two episodes aired in Japan, supposedly a lot of people were kinda gassed about the happy-feely ending that came out of nowhere. So what happens? They release the two new movies that supposedly the "real" ending of the series.

The reason for the "happy endings" is because by the time Anno had gotten out of his depression he was already working on the ending of the series. All the "I cant do anything" feelings by Shinji were a reflection of the creator himself whilst in the midst of depression.

... so now they are supposedly working on another animated version!!!! Maybe this time it wont be happy feely or insanely masochistic, but just right, ie: shinji gets his thing on with one of those eves and and, .... and there is peace and a new beginning...... !!!!

Who knows, but I heard they were continuing after Shinji had already destroyed the entire planet. Cant wait!!!! :D

PixelShader
01-18-2004, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by IkerCLoN I don't know if it's an animated version or a real movie, but I don't want Kirsten Dunst playin' Asuk... er... "Katie Rose" (damn).
[/B]

Well, CGNetworks didn't say anything about what it was because it's mostly speculation at this point. What I've read from the other fan sites is that it's going to be a live action film.

Some shocking (and probably mostly completely untrue!) rumours are that Shinji Ikari is played by Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Asuka Langley is Hillary Duff! LOL! (please don't be so gullible as to believe it...)

Geoff

Spankspeople
01-18-2004, 05:08 AM
Some shocking (and probably mostly completely untrue!) rumours are that Shinji Ikari is played by Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Asuka Langley is Hillary Duff! LOL! (please don't be so gullible as to believe it...)

Oy, if they do that I'll never be able to watch any of the Harry Potter films again...

Harry: But I don't want to save Hogwarts! *sulks in the corner*

zsz
01-18-2004, 05:50 AM
adult eva????good!

eloop
01-18-2004, 06:00 AM
not the Weta Digital doing the Visual FX. Weta DIGITAL is working on King Kong, ( and i think still finishing up on the Extended dvd for ROTK? )

Bay Raitt must be doing a bit of moonlighting ;-) Look closely at the "Cube Angel" image.

jinchoung
01-18-2004, 06:23 AM
tough to cast kids... you need big names but there just aren't any big name tweens....

maybe lindsay lohan, amanda bines?.... better is kirsten dunst playing down.... katie holmes (man does she have a rack.... whoa)? hillary swank? brittany spears? aguilera might've been ok before she seemingly went insane with syphillis or something.

maybe the malcolm in the middle, secret agent cody banks kid?

jude law would be cool... could we use cg to make him smaller and younger?

guy pierce as the dad? (he'd also be a really cool gordon freeman too - you just know that the thinking behind the goateed gf in the first half life was the charlie sheen character in the twohy alien movie but that's not a great choice).

jin

p.s. that's hilarious that anno's therapy played a part in developing the story! let's put the man on some lsd and see where that leads....

ralphpoon
01-18-2004, 08:15 AM
it is totally weird that the teenagers become old adult!!!!!

EVA is a japanese anime, not american comics like superman......
i don't want to see a superwoman get into a eva.....

don't rape our anime!!!!!

Shiva3D
01-18-2004, 08:53 AM
Images are good... but... its NOT EVA!!!!!!!!
I dot like it!
Losted mood and style of Eva. 8(
Original Eva have amazing Mesha(organic) design and characters.
THis - dont!
Adoult?! - good.. and redesign.. NOT!
Aska - MUST BE ASKA. REY - MUST BE REY! But Not this Fat Cows!!

SkullboX
01-18-2004, 09:08 AM
Some shocking (and probably mostly completely untrue!) rumours are that Shinji Ikari is played by Daniel Radcliffe

Apart from just speculation this is probably some kind of anti harry potter sentiment, seriously what's wrong with him as an actor? I personally like those movies, and apart from that he acted very well. It would be an excellent cast in my opinion, actually.

floogle
01-18-2004, 11:15 AM
my god. does my poor lil brain hurt.
i dunno.
think the desings so far are questionable.
but.i dont really mind thus far. cause i just know the evas are going to look great in the end.
the thing i had my eye on was the apparent age of the pilots. concept are not. why try and do concept using a 30yr old woman when your goal is a 14 year old girl????ha. i dunno. i dont do concept work. just doest make sense to me.
regarding the story.
i have great faith in Hideako Anno being that he made the original series so NICE^_^:applause: :drool: :bowdown:

but. :surprised does anyone really know how much say he has over the final product??? cause i sure dont.
i am worried tho. this KATE ROSE stuff is total bull. i just totally dont like that idea.

^_^hopefully there is going to be some new content in the movie.
theres nothing worse in an anime then them bloody review episodes. and all this would be is that with some sprinkles on top.
ha. i suck at this kind of stuff.

Layer01
01-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by jinchoung
tough to cast kids... you need big names but there just aren't any big name tweens....
? hillary swank? brittany spears? aguilera might've been ok before she seemingly went insane with syphillis or something.

maybe the malcolm in the middle, secret agent cody banks kid?

jude law would be cool... could we use cg to make him smaller and younger?

1. why do you need big names? as long as they can act they could be anyone.
2. hillary swank? Brittany spears? aguilera?...dude i would DIE if any of those are in this movie....simply die....OF SHAME AND HORROR :banghead:
3. jude law would be cool...i like him as an actor (interesting face) but why CG him...just give him an adult role.

Goul
01-18-2004, 12:38 PM
money rules , once again....
I think it's the only reason why!:shrug:

I just hope they will respect Evangelion as they've respected LOTR ...and perhaps it should be an interesting film!

jinchoung
01-18-2004, 12:38 PM
the big name thing is just a financial/studio consideration.

and especially for a sci fi, fx heavy flick, acting is actually second fiddle in general and probably a distant third against name recognition. (although... the cast of episode IV had ALL STRIKES AGAINST THEM!!!)

this can go the gundam route and just go for the straight to video/scifi channel route or it can try to breakout into ultra mainstream theatrical.

if it's to have a decent chance of doing that, big names would definitely help.

it would also make an impact on the budget the movie final gets... if it goes the video/tv route, it's bound to get a lot less and will be an expendable b-movie.

as for the jude law thing, it was a joke in that i had him in mind as the film version of anglo shinji! the other part of that joke is that hey, fx can make people smaller.... howabout we try to turn jude law into a teenager!

jin

Asgorath
01-18-2004, 02:11 PM
Pilots of Eva not being teenagers, it's simply not Evangelion any more...
Because the fact that pilots are teenagers is a central point for characters relation but also for time line, and deep meaning of the story...

For me, they just want to do a different story in the style of Evangelion. And I shall judge the futur movie without taking the storyline of the original title as a bible...

Riddick
01-18-2004, 02:54 PM
(If I was you, I would wait for the animation in CGI before going down like that, these designs.)

So,Dear RobertoOrtiz you have always amazing links and thank you for that!

Well, I find all, magnificent designs. And very respectful of the originals.
That looks very very well all this!And the suits for the girls are really sexy!

KillMe
01-18-2004, 03:12 PM
damn all americans - how come you need to have everyone in a film an american - argh the new names are terrible jsut wont be the same - i acaully think they will put off the fans of the series with all these changes and to top it off the evas jsut dont look so cool anymore

liek someone said the detail has been added for teh sake of adding detail nto for any reason and expecially when it comes to tehre heads they taken it the wrong direction they seem to have descided that straight lines are bad everything must look super organic nonono no the origianl evas were awesome these well not so =/

and they need to work on the pilots while they might ahve trouble getting people with the figures in the anime version they should at least try

:cry: :cry: :cry:

they are going to ruin it i jsut know it please resist the urge to americanise

KillMe
01-18-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Goul
I just hope they will respect Evangelion as they've respected LOTR ...and perhaps it should be an interesting film!

last time i checked they didn't change names in lord of the rings so i doubt they giving it the same respect

Goul
01-18-2004, 04:24 PM
yeah , you're right...I doubt too
:curious:

But let me hope.. :shrug: ;)

MGernot
01-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by KillMe
damn all americans - how come you need to have everyone in a film an american.

Must be some cultural imperialism.
;)

Meli

PhilOsirus
01-18-2004, 05:29 PM
You must be insane to rant over a movie you have seen nothing of so far other than a few concept arts that look almost identical to the original ones. And stop ignoring the fact that the same people who are behind Evangelion anime are behind this one, especially the creator of it.

Oh and why change the names? Maybe because none of the actors will be japanese/asian!:rolleyes:

Cararan
01-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Wow. Now thats some nice concept art.

cityhunter
01-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Here are my opinion on the actors and actresses that should play the parts...

Keira Knightley as Asuka:drool:
Ian McKellen as Dr. Fuyutsuki
and
Hugo Weaving as Gendo Ikari (due to his tone of voice):D

I'm half and half on the movie. But notherless I am a big fan of evangelion. And I hope that this movie will be successful. I also hope that it'll follow the series in terms of storyline. The thing that bothered me (besides the plug suits) was the head of unit01. Instead of a spike it has a fin of some sort. I hope they change that for the final concept.

Boone
01-18-2004, 09:33 PM
I'm with "Phil Osirus" - whats the point in downing a film when we have next to nothing on the damn thing?

So far - the sketches given here are identicle to the original series! The film has Gainax, ADV films & Weta behind it...but many seem to dismiss these facts.

WHY?:shrug:

Spankspeople
01-18-2004, 11:41 PM
Dammit, no wonder I never get anything done around here. All this talk about Eva has one of my roommates rewatching it...

*wanders off to the TV*

Layer01
01-19-2004, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by jinchoung
the big name thing is just a financial/studio consideration.

as for the jude law thing, it was a joke in that i had him in mind as the film version of anglo shinji! the other part of that joke is that hey, fx can make people smaller.... howabout we try to turn jude law into a teenager!

jin

he he he i didnt realise that you meant Jude for Shinji lol. no no no that would be all wrong :p i just meant as an actor in general.

as for this "BIG" name debate..why do studios need to have big names to feel that the movie will be awesome? i mean if the actors are great then the film will rock, but if they suck then it will fail...*cough* daredevil *cough*

KillMe
01-20-2004, 04:53 PM
[i]The thing that bothered me (besides the plug suits) was the head of unit01. Instead of a spike it has a fin of some sort. I hope they change that for the final concept. [/B]

i couldn't agree more what was with the batwing type thigns stuck on its head was short and stubby looking not at all like eva 01

also i have to say i didn't liek any of the changes they had made to the eva head armour for 01

they made it looks organic but its supposed to be armour not the bone and skin it is protecting

as for actresses hmmmmmmm how about jennifer love hewitt for missato (sp?)

rei and and asuka hmmmmmmm more difficult

FabioMSilva
01-20-2004, 06:55 PM
lol they named Rei ayanami as RaY lolol:wip:

Boone
01-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Re: The Solid Snake.

Yeah - I was always lead to believe that "Ray" is a boy's name...damn those American executives! Perverts is what they are!

DOWN WITH THEM!!!:bounce:

tauism
01-21-2004, 05:40 AM
shinji & rei can't be caucasian! i'll throw a fit if they do...

holosynthetic
01-21-2004, 09:41 AM
I say let Rei Ayanami be played by Rachael Leigh Cook!

paulrus
01-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Boone
Re: The Solid Snake.

Yeah - I was always lead to believe that "Ray" is a boy's name...damn those American executives!

Ray IS a boys name. Just ask my DAUGHTER - Rei. (and I have not yet met an American that has trouble pronouncing her name)

Silly executives - thinking is for the creatives - go back to counting beans.

bleeper
01-22-2004, 03:25 AM
I like the new eva designs it makes them look like they're 5 picoseconds from beserker mode from hell.:scream: :thumbsup:

DaKrunch
02-21-2004, 12:03 AM
great sketches... drooooooooool :drool:

3dRaven
08-04-2005, 11:32 AM
The concepts on the Weta Workshop site have ORYGINAL names of the characters......there's still hope :D

http://www.wetaworkshop.co.nz/projects/filmography/galleries/neon_genesis

angel
08-04-2005, 12:43 PM
the film is on hold....

Boone
08-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Hmmm...new pictures! :bounce:

From the art work shown I think that the Evangelion live-action movie could be closer to the original vision of the shows creators than the show itself was.

I always had the feeling that the Eva movies( End, Death & Rebirth ) were so far removed from the series - there was no comedy whatsoever. Its as though GAINAX was playing it the executives way until they could get their own. So to speak...

The designs that Weta has done so far seem to have a more darker, gritter and possibly more savage feel to them. I think we could end up with a film like DUNE.

CodeNothing
08-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Crap now i need to apply to WETA. It was always a dream of mine to work on a live action EVA. But looking at the concept work I'm not impressed at all. They basicly just copied the original drawings and made the eva armor 'bumpy' in some places to make it seem like it has more detail.

Not at all what i would expect from weta. I figured they would take the designs and figure out how to make it WORK in the REAL world. The armor is realy made to contain the eva within, not just protect it. So you would need all kinds of restraints, machinery, and locks just under the surface of the plates...

BAH! damn you weta!

the environments look nice. I especialy like the storage room for the eva's.

i dont give a crap about names. Its dumb to change them, but whatever. get over it. And i know i will sound like an evil male, but they realy need to find some skinny teens to play asuka and rei. I dont care if it has 200 million in special effects, if the teens look like the concepts the movie will bomb. Unfair i know, but thats how it goes.

actualy i doubt that the concepts were made using the actors. The artist probably just took snapshots of his wife/girlfriend and drew over them in photoshop.

akaiwa
08-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Well, I seriously doubt this is going to go any further then concept art. ADV is having financial problems of their own, and I think they've lost their steam in terms of fundung a huge motion picture (especially with their manga division floundering).

I would have liked to see this, though.

PhilOsirus
08-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but why would ADV be paying? Usually a company will buy the license to make a movie on their own based on the license. Unless ADV is really funding the movie, which I doubt.

Boone
08-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Re: DVD_Master.

I agree with Phil - last I heard, this was a GAINAX project. I can only assume ADV is on board to help it make the Advertising leap and basically give advice regarding the western market...still, there isn't much to go on.

ArtisticVisions
08-06-2005, 08:00 PM
From the art work shown I think that the Evangelion live-action movie could be closer to the original vision of the shows creators than the show itself was.

I always had the feeling that the Eva movies( End, Death & Rebirth ) were so far removed from the series - there was no comedy whatsoever. Its as though GAINAX was playing it the executives way until they could get their own. So to speak...

Actually, I hear it's the other way around: originally, Eva was suppose to be very much like the first half of the series. However, Anno went into a great depression (I believe it was partly due to the passing of his mother) and changed Eva into a "darker", more serious story.

End of Evangelion came about because the final two episodes of the TV series was not at all what Anno wanted the "end" of the Evangelion story to be: Episode 25 and 26 turned out the way they was due a number of other issues that came about at the time (like budget cuts and the censor/content policy from the TV station that was airing Eva). When Anno and Gainax were given the chance to retell the final episode as a film, he decided to tell the "true" ending.

Not really sure if WETA's Evangelion will go beyond pre-porduction, but if it does, I really hope they change the ages of the Children back to early-mid teens instead of this "late teens/early 20s" thing they have with those concept sketches (I think it's very important for Shinji, Rei, and Asuka to be teens, as Eva was sort of a "coming of age" story anyways).

Also, am I the only one who's upset that Rei is no longer albino with white hair and red eyes? :shrug:

Lunatique
08-07-2005, 12:52 AM
Why not use the original concept art from the original creators? I also find it incredibly annoying that the character names have been changed.. how do you go from Rei Ayanami to Ray? Asuka Langley to Kate Rose? and Misato Katsuragi to Susan Whitnall? What where they thinking.... more money from American Audiences? :surprised

Unfortunately, reality shows that audiences relate more to things they are familiar with. Most American audience members will have a very hard time identifying or remembering a name like Katsuragi. They'll also wonder why a red-headed American girl has a Japanese first name like Asuka. Also remember, The Japanese are very quirky with the way they name characters. They often give characters "Engrish" names that they think sounds American, but would sound silly to actual Americans. Case in point--Studio Proteus had to change Deunan's last name from "Nut" to "Knute" because Masamune Shirow had no idea what "Nut" implied in English.

For the same reasons, Americans prefers to remake foreign films into American versions, changing things to suit the American audience. I know it sucks, but that's just how things are. Foreign films often have elements idiosycratic to their native culture--and most Americans just won't get it. Anime/manga suffers from this a lot. For example, a character from the countryside of Japan might say something with a funny accent and gets laughed at by the people he encounters in Tokyo. You seriously don't think the Americans will get a joke like that, would you?

Bonedaddy
08-07-2005, 01:20 AM
I recently came upon the most blatant instance of where a name needed to be changed from the original. I was watching an anime called Karas, which was full of awesome, gritty, dark action sequences, lots of neat imagery, I was totally into it, until the hero came home to his dewy-eyed love interest...

...whose name was Yurine.

The whole anime just stopped flat and became a farce after that moment.

ArtisticVisions
08-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Case in point--Studio Proteus had to change Deunan's last name from "Nut" to "Knute" because Masamune Shirow had no idea what "Nut" implied in English.
Can I take a guess as to which implication they were afraid of? :p

Boone
08-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Now just imagine if the film gets the go ahead and we all sit in a Cinema with our pop-corn, M&Ms, Pepsi, whatever, and the trailer for the Eva movie is finally featured...

"FROM THE PRODUCERS OF 'THE FAST & THE FURIOUS' AND 'TORQUE'!" :twisted:

DrFx
08-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Here it is, should appeal to a broader audience:
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5727/asukate8yj.jpg

Boone
08-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Re: DrFx.

Well, I'm not 100% happy with that design - can you make the suit Spandex with a camoflague( some bastard has swiped by Collins English Dictionary! :banghead: ) design?

Oh, and has Vin( Diesel ) been given a script draft yet? As he is playing Shinji - he kinda needs it like yesterday! Snap to it! :wise:

Boone
08-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Maybe this production was put on hold due to Weta Workshop's efforts on King Kong?

But then again, wouldn't miniture work be done in the middle stages of a production? Kong would be on Post production about now... :argh:

JA-forreal
08-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Here it is, should appeal to a broader audience:
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5727/asukate8yj.jpg

Although it's technically interesting in it's own artistic way, it's a bit weird visually to say the least.

tozz
08-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Having watched the original I must say this is another anime-destruction-conversion. The artwork is really alot more crappy than the original. I'm calling VG Cats to better describe this :)

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145

AirbORn
08-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Having watched the original I must say this is another anime-destruction-conversion. The artwork is really alot more crappy than the original. I'm calling VG Cats to better describe this :)

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145

I think the concept art is really well done if you take into consideration that it is meant to realize what it would look like as live action. YOu can't expect an anime look to the drawings. The design for the dimond angel looks amazing. Better than the anime, and I am a huge anime fan. That is just my two cents, please correct me if you were thinking otherwise.

Squash-n-Stretch
08-22-2005, 02:10 PM
I hope this movie is mostly live-action...it looks cool in that case.

Berserga
08-22-2005, 04:25 PM
This entire project kind of mystifies me.

Why.... first of all rehash something that has been done? (And in fact overdone to freaking death. what with the many video and movie rehashes. not to mention immitators)

Why try to "Mainstream" small details of a story that is about as far from American Mainstream as you can get. If Anno is really involved in planning this this might be his cruelest joke of all. ;) Anyone who has seen End of Evangelion should be able to pick up on the general disdain he had for the audience. :)

You can't sell a story about the end of the world to US mass audiences... (Sorry if that spoiled it for anyone but if ya can't talk about a show that aired 10 years ago freely what can ya talk about?) so they will probably try to give it an upbeat ending :p. (Or at least one that isn't a nonsensical psychadelic freakout)

JA-forreal
08-22-2005, 05:06 PM
That's who it is, I knew I'd seen something like this before during my U.S. History lessons. The Kate Rose character is kind of like Annie Oakley with a guitar. Wow. But why?

http://search.eb.com/women/articles/Oakley_Annie.html

tozz
08-22-2005, 08:15 PM
I think the concept art is really well done if you take into consideration that it is meant to realize what it would look like as live action. YOu can't expect an anime look to the drawings. The design for the dimond angel looks amazing. Better than the anime, and I am a huge anime fan. That is just my two cents, please correct me if you were thinking otherwise.
I don't care much for the mechas (even though they have a very important role in evangelion), anyone with a decent imagination and some skills can do awesome mecha designs. If this was a standalone projekt and Evangelion wouldn't exist, I'd be more than exited since I love this kind of stuff. But changing the entire environment to some semi-futuristic era and adding 20 years to the _MAIN_ characters doesn't make sense exept for making it US(west) friendly. And that's what so ignorant about it. (and that's why I linked the VG comic, since it's so dead on). I won't correct anyone on their personal opinion and taste :)

DotPainter
08-22-2005, 08:48 PM
I don't know but the most baffling thing for me is that Japanese mainstream anime studios
have had a hard time translating their works to CG. What I mean is that when it comes to
making a full CG version of an anime story or a manga comic, the whole artistic direction and inspiration unique the anime genre seems to disappear and gets replaced by the pure technicality of the CG production. Anime and manga are all based heavily on the Japanese
artistic tradition that placed much emphasis on lines and colors to tell a story, just as much as the actual dialog itself. Combine that with some of the added style whooshes for conveying motion and comic facial expressions with big eyes and you have anime. Each sub genre of anime/manga has its own variations on those themes: historic shogun/blood and gore, psychic thriller/dark, demonic and bloody, mecha/highly detailed robot designs, space opera/intricate story lines and lavish characterization and the list goes on and on. Evangelion is a blend of psychic thriller, mecha and space opera, with its own twist on the mecha style by making them more "organic" and having "angels" as alien space invaders with unique geometric/tribal designs.

For some reason, however, anime studios are unable to translate the lavish attention to detail that are evidenced in the better anime from the last 20 years and turn them into equally good 3d productions. The few exceptions to this are most certainly groundbreaking to say the least, as they do show what is possible and how anime can successfully bridge the gap. I am not sure why this is though, but my guess is that it may have to do with budget and available 3d talent. It is sad, but 3d artists in the West would probably have an easier time producing a 3d version of their favorite anime series than the actual creators of these series in Japan, using the existing pipelines and talent within the anime studios. As a matter of fact, I am of the opinion that anime, in general, has really fallen from its old heights due to mass production and increasing costs. But, at
the same token, I dont understand why more anime studios dont create all CG departments and start pumping out more CG titles as is done in the West, where 3d has taken over the animation industry. Otherwise, they will have to continue to outsource their major 3d productions to western studios, which will only worsen a already bad situation, as in this one.

And when it comes to live action, the situation is obviously even worse for many more reasons.

tozz
08-22-2005, 09:00 PM
I don't see why the should translate it totally, they use plenty of CG already in alot of productions and I think it's more than enough. For anyone doubting this go watch the series "Last Exile", it's a visual orgasm of pure talent. And as you say, anime has alot of characteristics that I serously doubt would do good in pure CG, especially emotions.

Yourworstnightmare
08-22-2005, 09:22 PM
I don't know anything about this anime, and it will most likely suck because if they're changing the art style they should leave everything else intact, but they're not, but if i'm wrong and it is great I hope that they do Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo next, but I don't want anything in the story changed.

akaiwa
08-23-2005, 02:23 AM
I don't know. I'm a huge fan of anime, but I'm starting to be annoyed by how painstakingly obvious it is when they incorporate CG into the show. Even if it is indistinguishable from handdrawn areas, they give it away by whirling camera movements and rapid camera pans. Since it's ridiculous to hand draw each perspective of a scene like that, and is very very rarely done, it's a dead giveaway when CG is used. It is like they want to show off their model, so they have to show it from various angles just because they can.

I was looking forward to Appleseed, but the camera direction was so amateurish that I really got tired of it part way through. The camera is almost never still, very few times during the movie. It's always whooshing around the scene, and even in something like a conference, where traditional anime would have a fixed view, in Appleseed it was very slowly rotating around the speaker.

They were so hyped up with making it LOOK like an anime they forgot to make it act like an anime. The use of CG I've seen has mostly been to bad use because they overdo the shots.

Ghost in the Shell SAC, however, was what CG in anime should be. The Tachikoma's (sp?) and other CG elements were very very well handled and integrated with the show instead of standing out like they did in some other anime I watch (I can't think of a name right now - sorry!)

Frank Lake
08-23-2005, 06:22 AM
Well part of the reason for bad intergration is the ugly fact that animation is actually being outsourced and the outsource-ese(Korea, Singapore, etc) are new to the subject themselves. Others are nearly clueless about smoothing the translations(GONZO), still establishing their workflow, their damned odd work ethic, and are DEEPLY entrenched in tradional styles. Mostly I'm betting it's the cost and time involved.

SOME anime has gotten to the nearly seamless level(Trinity Blood, early Gunbuster(Diebuster)2, & Eureka7 sorry but GITS & Appleseed are poorly done). The key problem are that 3D has a higher starting quality then the current level of 2D. So in order to work 2D has to increase back to 1985 levels and 3D must lower in quality(with the talent increasing).

tozz
08-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Well part of the reason for bad intergration is the ugly fact that animation is actually being outsourced and the outsource-ese(Korea, Singapore, etc) are new to the subject themselves. Others are nearly clueless about smoothing the translations(GONZO), still establishing their workflow, their damned odd work ethic, and are DEEPLY entrenched in tradional styles. Mostly I'm betting it's the cost and time involved.

SOME anime has gotten to the nearly seamless level(Trinity Blood, early Gunbuster(Diebuster)2, & Eureka7 sorry but GITS & Appleseed are poorly done). The key problem are that 3D has a higher starting quality then the current level of 2D. So in order to work 2D has to increase back to 1985 levels and 3D must lower in quality(with the talent increasing).
It's funny you should mention Gonzo as clueless when they did Last Exile and Samurai 7, some of the best visual animes the last few years. I wouldn't go so far as to call Trinity Blood seamless, the weapon looks so out of place it's almost as clip art ;) GITS is almost 8 years old, so it's not that suprising the technology is a bit behind in it. As for SAC I'd say it's excellent.

DrFx
08-23-2005, 11:05 AM
That's who it is, I knew I'd seen something like this before during my U.S. History lessons. The Kate Rose character is kind of like Annie Oakley with a guitar. Wow. But why?

http://search.eb.com/women/articles/Oakley_Annie.html

LOL! That pic was just a joke, I didn't know about Annie Oakley, just picked the most stereotypical "cowgirl" stuff and added it to Asuka.

Berserga
08-23-2005, 01:04 PM
I don't know but the most baffling thing for me is that Japanese mainstream anime studios
have had a hard time translating their works to CG. What I mean is that when it comes to
making a full CG version of an anime story or a manga comic, the whole artistic direction and inspiration unique the anime genre seems to disappear and gets replaced by the pure technicality of the CG production.

On the Indie side I think they really do get it though. In Romonov Higa's Urda which has cel shaded characters, it usually feels very true to the medium. I'm really interested to see the new Dominion project he is working on.

As for pro studios, the history of 3d in anime is a pretty hairy one. Early experiments from Lensman to Lost Universe were terrible... I considered Sol Bianca "The legacy" to be the end of anime at the time, it was so bad. But Gonzo, Bones, and IG, have done some really remarkable stuff... and many other studios are popping up doing equal calibur work these days.

Appleseed failed not because of the modelling, or surfacing (usually) But because the use of Mocap is as antithetical to anime as possible. It didn't feel right (except the mecha sequences, which were hand animated.)

AirbORn
08-23-2005, 01:45 PM
FIrst of all, how did the topic of EVA change over to something different?!?

Anyway, from what I read in interviews with studios like Gainax and IG they say that anime will always be true to 2D and the incorporation of 3D is a good thing because it pushes new possibilities in animation, style, and technique. Take anime like Stand Alone Complex, or GITS2, the 3D looks perfect and allows for new techniques. Also, take animator/director Koji Morimoto who did short films like Noiseman Sound Insect, Magentic Rose, and recently Beyond from The Animatrix. He incorporates 3D really well into his work, and one of his shorts, I forget the name, is done completely in CG and is often mistaken for 2D, and it looks nothing like Appleseed.

If you guys really want to know the name of the short I can find it somewhere.

Boone
08-23-2005, 06:35 PM
I haven't seen GOTS:SAC(too expensive!) or the new Appleseed movie(No theaters want to know!) yet... :cry:

Just thinking of what scenes would go down a treat(audience reaction wise) in the Cinema regarding Eva Live action...

1) "Kaji...I'm a boy." :curious

2) "HAHAHAHAH....HAAAAAAAAAAAAA....GRRRRRRRRRR.....CORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR......OHHHHHHHHHH....I'm so f***ed up!" :argh:

3) "Yeah...it wasn't bad...BUT HERE'S YER CHANGE!" :banghead:

4) Dummy-plug activation against Eva Unit 03... :eek:

5) Ritsuko's mom commiting infanticide... :eek:

6) Gendo with half his body covered in blood... :twisted:

7) Shinji meets PenPen for the first time! :buttrock:

Berserga
08-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Anyway, from what I read in interviews with studios like Gainax and IG they say that anime will always be true to 2D and the incorporation of 3D is a good thing because it pushes new possibilities in animation, style, and technique. Take anime like Stand Alone Complex, or GITS2, the 3D looks perfect

While I'll agree that the 3d integration in GitS SAC is pretty much perfect, the same can most certainly NOT be said about GitS 2. The whole time I watched that movie I had the feeling that the 3d was done in 1999. Perhaps I was noticing that cuz the story sucked so bad. Hard to believe this is the same Oshii that did Patlabor 2.

Boone
08-23-2005, 08:40 PM
The Japanese will most likely use 3D if it produces results quicker than 2D methods. And who could blame them when they have rather short schedules to get the work done.

I think the best example( I've seen so far) of 3D in Anime is those Mech-suits in the Animatrix short(s) "The Second Reinassence"( Once again, the Collins English dictionary has grown legs and done a runner on me! ).

I find Cel-shading techniques rather fascinating. Can anyone tell me how to use it on my objects in Maya? :)

Boone
08-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Re: Berserga.

I love the end of Patlabor2 - Shinobu's confrontation in the field of birds was really touching. :)

AirbORn
08-23-2005, 09:05 PM
While I'll agree that the 3d integration in GitS SAC is pretty much perfect, the same can most certainly NOT be said about GitS 2. The whole time I watched that movie I had the feeling that the 3d was done in 1999. Perhaps I was noticing that cuz the story sucked so bad. Hard to believe this is the same Oshii that did Patlabor 2.

Now that I think of it, GITS2 did have some crappy CG. But then again I did find it visually stunning. It is hard for me to say what I think GITS2 now...... humm.... I am speechless.

Anyway, found a still from that 3D anime short I was telling you guys about by director/animator Koji Morimoto. From what I understand the whole thing was done in 3D using cell shading. To me it can very easily be mistaken for 2D. What you guys think?

http://www.antville.org/img/videos/tekkon.gif

Berserga
08-23-2005, 09:10 PM
If so, Very impressive cel shading. I wonder if this is the same thing Terrence Walker posted about a while back on his blog...?

tozz
08-23-2005, 09:32 PM
Now that I think of it, GITS2 did have some crappy CG. But then again I did find it visually stunning. It is hard for me to say what I think GITS2 now...... humm.... I am speechless.

Anyway, found a still from that 3D anime short I was telling you guys about by director/animator Koji Morimoto. From what I understand the whole thing was done in 3D using cell shading. To me it can very easily be mistaken for 2D. What you guys think?

http://www.antville.org/img/videos/tekkon.gif

It's very hard to say from a screencap since bad/good 3d are almost always identified by the motion of the characters. It does look a bit too detailed being an anime. Best animes ever are still the ones Ghibli produced in the 1980's, it blows everything away with ease, Disney or otherwise, they don't even stand a chance today.

DotPainter
08-24-2005, 01:11 AM
The pics posted are from a picture called kakurenbo (http://www.yamato-works.com/english.html)
There are trailers there at the site. Some of the artists that worked on it are some
of the best known in Japan for their cutting edge, even "strange" personal works (by even Japanese standards). Many of them, including Koji Morimoto, worked at studio 4c, which
was known as well for groundbreaking work, even if it wasn't the most high profile.

A lot of Kojis shorts, as well as those from other studio 4c artists, (some of whom went on to form an animation studio/group called Kamikaze Douga) are still in circulation, but it is most
definitely very underground. Funny, every since I used to go to the "clandestine" anime showings in the 80's, I have always found the best stuff to be off the beaten track.....

Found this (http://www.mangazoo.jp/mztv/)while digging around on some Japanese web sites.

Some of Kojis other works (http://www.catsuka.com/interf/bideo/morimoto.htm).

A nice trailer Koji (http://www.mangazoo.jp/mztv/cm/003_lesaunda/index.html) did.....

But I don't mean to digress, most of this only shows that many Japanese artists have to work outside of the mainstream studios on smaller independant works to get their visions realized properly. Unless, of course, they are heavy hitters like Katsuhiro Otomo or Hayao Miyazaki.....

JA-forreal
08-24-2005, 04:15 AM
The Japanese will most likely use 3D if it produces results quicker than 2D methods. And who could blame them when they have rather short schedules to get the work done.

I.................................

Won't every studio use 3d when you can boot a computer with your drawings, plans and produce whatever you like hassle free? From the latest movements in 3d tech, I see that it may get there sooner than we think. I don't know, it could be that the Japanese studios stick to what they know works as a film product and their reliable markets. Maybe they operate smaller houses than those in Hollywood.

Right now most studios view 3d as a monumental undertaking of technical production and artistic finesse. And it is. And you have to admit that production ready 3d software cost to develop, and cost in it's application. 3d media projects could soon only be as involving as getting your work crew, band, gang, etc. together for a gig. Who knows. I think that we are talking about Weta's attempt at this film project. If you operate with this big machine of 3d and film production, it just has to work. But often an audience won't buy it in the end for whatever reasons. (Way off the targeting zone of public interest, cough, cough....) All of this money and prestige is riding on projects that are so huge. It's such a waste when it doesn't work out.

Imagine if this project where being developed by a small house who's day jobs were writing 3d software, web design, etc. People with little to loose and a lot to gain. (I like oranges.) Then they were presenting concept drawings to us of a 3d film that attempted to convert 2d anime concepts for a western audience. They might even adjust their concepts to fit our taste on the fly. Imagine if all of the 3d software that they used for this project could be brought at a computer store or from open source apps. Imagine if none of these people working on the project had to expend insane efforts in raising money, training and a building a competent workforce. These people probably wouldn't need a team of execs to manage them, etc. I don't think a “band” would give a care about a certain audience. They may even plan just to produce a DVD as their final product.

But we are taking about Weta who produced the amazing 3d cg for LOTR. Maybe they should just present their concept drawings to “EVANGELION” web forum communities. Maybe Weta could start a forum? To me that approach would be more “real”. I have a sister and friends who are young people, adults, professionals and they like “EVANGELION” as it is. To me that seems to be the target audience. Maybe “EVANGELION” is not something that can be generalized for 5 yr olds to folks 80 yrs old in Nebraska. If you're putting all this money and effort into a project like this you have to get it right.

AirbORn
08-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Found this (http://www.mangazoo.jp/mztv/)while digging around on some Japanese web sites.

Some of Kojis other works (http://www.catsuka.com/interf/bideo/morimoto.htm).

A nice trailer Koji (http://www.mangazoo.jp/mztv/cm/003_lesaunda/index.html) did.....

But I don't mean to digress, most of this only shows that many Japanese artists have to work outside of the mainstream studios on smaller independant works to get their visions realized properly. Unless, of course, they are heavy hitters like Katsuhiro Otomo or Hayao Miyazaki.....

The pic I posted is from a short that was released several years ago. The one you are talking about hasn't been relsead yet. Correct me if I am wrong.

Finally they updated his site. For a while now all the videos were missing and I been having a hard time finding them.

I do agree, some of the best anime shorts I've seen are all underground, at least some. What is interesting also when I read an interview with Koji Morimoto, he says that he is a producers worst nightmare because he takes his time working on the details in his work. I think I saw this on the Animatrix DVD, I can't remember.

Berserga
08-24-2005, 02:17 PM
It does look a bit too detailed being an anime. Best animes ever are still the ones Ghibli produced in the 1980's, it blows everything away with ease, Disney or otherwise, they don't even stand a chance today.

I love Miyazaki as much as the next guy, but when people say stuff like this they usually haven't seen much more anime than The Ghibli films and, maybe Ghost in the shell. When it comes to detail There are many 80s animes that have monumental detail. For instance:
Macross: ai oboete imasu ka, AKIRA, and The Wings of Honneamise Just to name 3 films that have an extremely high level of detail and animation quality from the 80s.

Right now most studios view 3d as a monumental undertaking of technical production and artistic finesse. And it is. And you have to admit that production ready 3d software cost to develop

That is why Gonzo has done so well. They started out all digital from the beginning, doing Cinemas for Sega CD and PS1 games. While major studios like AIC and sunrise limped into the digital realm in the late 90s, (Usually with awful results) Little Gonzo quickly became one of the best most innovative studios around.

I have a sister and friends who are young people, adults, professionals and they like “EVANGELION” as it is. To me that seems to be the target audience. Maybe “EVANGELION” is not something that can be generalized for 5 yr olds to folks 80 yrs old in Nebraska.

Definately not... Even Carl Macek at the height of his hubris wouldn't have been that foolish, But there are others in Hollywood who would.

tozz
08-24-2005, 02:36 PM
I love Miyazaki as much as the next guy, but when people say stuff like this they usually haven't seen much more anime than The Ghibli films and, maybe Ghost in the shell. When it comes to detail There are many 80s animes that have monumental detail. For instance:
Macross: ai oboete imasu ka, AKIRA, and The Wings of Honneamise Just to name 3 films that have an extremely high level of detail and animation quality from the 80s.
*sigh*, the ignorance. Any movie is more than detail, if you just want the artwork you can watch paintings, you get more detail there. What Ghibli did (and Miyazaki isn't the only guy there) was combining excellent storytelling with flawless animation that had true emotional expressions in it, not to mention character developement. Akira is soley boring and I never cared much for Macross, no matter how much detail they have. Of course, I have only watched about a 100 or so anime movies, and as many ova's and tv shows... :rolleyes:

Frank Lake
08-24-2005, 08:00 PM
It's funny you should mention Gonzo as clueless when they did Last Exile and Samurai 7, some of the best visual animes the last few years. I wouldn't go so far as to call Trinity Blood seamless, the weapon looks so out of place it's almost as clip art ;) GITS is almost 8 years old, so it's not that suprising the technology is a bit behind in it. As for SAC I'd say it's excellent.
Last Exile WAS NOT visually impressive. Neither was Samurai 7. It maybe merely a style preference but frankly both of those had serious animation problems of near Korean levels. Gonzo IS clueless when you look at their body of work. For a group founded in CG they have NOT progressed as a group. They DID start to progress but blew-up half-way through episode 1 of Yukikaze.

Yeah the guns in Trinity Blood aren't seemless and some times you do get the impression that they ARE clip-art, probably were given how the japanese recycle footage. The GITS(SAC) I was talking about is both of the current series. Bad intergration of 3D and poor animation(again near Korean levels).

The more I think about it..... it's becoming clear that they simply don't have the systems in place to produce quality merging of 3d and 2d given their time and money. Their current DieBuster(GunBuster2) certainly suggests that.

And tozz. Berserga was pointing out visual detail depth and not the entire movie on the whole experience. And I totally agree with him on that point. NO currently running series can even match the levels it was by the end of 1985. It takes movie level budgets to get near it.

pomru
08-24-2005, 08:41 PM
The pic I posted is from a short that was released several years ago. The one you are talking about hasn't been relsead yet. Correct me if I am wrong.

Finally they updated his site. For a while now all the videos were missing and I been having a hard time finding them.
That's correct, Kakurenbo (http://www.yamato-works.com/english.html) has not been released yet (due out in October for North America from US Manga Corps (http://www.centralparkmedia.com/cpmdb/cfcpm.cfm?Cat=USMD_2500)). It's currently making film festival rounds, and it was directed by Shuhei Morita, not Koji Morimoto.

The screencap that AirbORn posted comes from Tekkon Kinkurito (http://www.catsuka.com/interf/morimoto/tekkon/tekkon.htm) (also known as Black & White). As the French page in the URL explains, Tekkon Kinkurito was a 5-minute CG pilot project done in Softimage|3D based upon the comic book by Taiyou Matsumoto. Michael Arias was the CG director for this short, and some of you will recognize his name from the credits of The Animatrix. He's currently the Special Projects Leader over at Softimage... Also of musical note, Tekkon Kinkurito's soundtrack was done by Yoko Kanno.

I have to agree with Frank Lake that most Japanese studios simply don't have the pipeline in place for quality merging of 3D and 3D given their time and financial budget constraints. The only studio that seems to care about the integration is Studio Ghibli, as shown in this Softimage customer profile (http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Mag/Cs/VOLUME_5/Issue_7/1.htm)..

tozz
08-24-2005, 08:41 PM
hehe, well, you're the only one in this thread saying they're doing a bad job so I'd guess it's a personal preference you have. Haven't talked with anyone who dissed Last Exile previously either, especially not the art/visuals/animation. And claiming SAC is done badly... well I'll let it speak for it self.

Visual detail is nothing without the rest imo. And he did a fairly stupid comment about people loving Ghiblis' work having no clue what they're talking about.

Berserga
08-24-2005, 08:43 PM
*sigh*, the ignorance. Well, there is ignorance, and then there is ignorance, Tozz. :p

Akira is soley boring and I never cared much for Macross, no matter how much detail they have.

No accounting for taste (or lack there of) :D

And tozz. Berserga was pointing out visual detail depth and not the entire movie on the whole experience. And I totally agree with him on that point. NO currently running series can even match the levels it was by the end of 1985. It takes movie level budgets to get near it.

Thanks Frank.

I kind of agree with you about last exile. While I felt as a show it was top notch, the 3d integration didn't exactly blow me away. I don't nessisarily agree with your assessment of the studio as a whole though. Several of my favorite shows of the last few years have been by Gonzo.

I'll have to Check out Trinity blood again. I only watched one episode because the concept seemed pretty stale. (That is usually a mistake :D)

AirbORn
08-25-2005, 01:27 AM
The screencap that AirbORn posted comes from Tekkon Kinkurito (http://www.catsuka.com/interf/morimoto/tekkon/tekkon.htm) (also known as Black & White). As the French page in the URL explains, Tekkon Kinkurito was a 5-minute CG pilot project done in Softimage|3D based upon the comic book by Taiyou Matsumoto. Michael Arias was the CG director for this short, and some of you will recognize his name from the credits of The Animatrix. He's currently the Special Projects Leader over at Softimage... Also of musical note, Tekkon Kinkurito's soundtrack was done by Yoko Kanno.

That is correct. I was curious as to why it was never made into a series. I do recall it being a pilot as you mentioned. I was impressed when I first saw this. :) Not sure what I think about it now though. Still like it I guess.

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2005, 01:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.