PDA

View Full Version : Info on PIXAR's The Incredibles!

RobertoOrtiz
01-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Quote:
"Though you might expect an action stud like Vin Diesel or The Rock to be voicing the herculean Mr. Incredible, the superlead is played by...Craig T. Nelson. (Holly Hunter speaks for his wife, Elastigirl.) "There's a school of thought that you simply go out and get a bunch of celebrities, the bigger the better, throw some animation around them, and try to coast a little bit on whatever reservoir of goodwill the voice provider has," says writer-director Brad Bird ("The Iron Giant"), who couldn't possibly be alluding to bombs like last year's "Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas" with Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta-Jones. "I imagine the characters first, and then try to find a voice for them. Craig's a terrific actor." Is this a nice way of saying Nelson has a face for voice-over?"

>>Link<< (http://www.superherohype.com/catwoman/index.php?id=693)
-R

Kaszub
01-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Picture of running Mr Incredible looks great. Visual quality of every next pixar's movie is getting higher and higher :) I'd like to see it in (also) higher (!) res :) I can't wait! I hope that some extended trailer will be released soon.

cheers
szymon

heavyness
01-17-2004, 01:06 AM
Pixar does great work with teaming up characters and their voices. when i see Buzz and Woody, i don't think Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, i think, well, Buzz and Woody. the only voice i haven't liked has been Nemo's dad, but Dory/Ellen made up for that.

i personally didn't like the lip sync in Final Fantasy:TSW because they used actors like Steve Buscemi who have distinct voices and faces. but Dr. Aki Ross lip sync was good cause i have no idea who Ming-Na looks like or have i seen her in tons of movies.

PhilOsirus
01-17-2004, 05:11 AM
I love when they adjust the 3D character's facial features to match those of the voice actor, and I think it should be done more often (so far only Dreamworks seems to do that).

jadamburke
01-17-2004, 05:28 AM
...and weta

Kenter
01-17-2004, 10:50 PM
daddy from Poltergiest,why not.Sounds great to me,can't wait for the flick to come out.:beer:

mbaldwin
01-18-2004, 01:30 AM
Phil,

Funny you should mention Dreamworks. Their vocal casting is the worst in the business--It makes me flesh crawl. Katzenburg and Co. shoud all get Acme mallets to the head until they promise to cast for the voice, rather than any dim-wattage a star's name could provide to the marketing of a production.

A few notorious stand-outs from this swell company.

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron--Matt Damon as Narrator. While every production can't have a Morgan Freeman or James Earl Jones(or even the voice of Tommy Lee Jones), Damon's voice is too thin and lifeless. It doesn't survive the hydroponics of voiceovers, It needs his phisical presence for grounding.(Hey I love the actor--I can watch Bourne Identity over and over). If they were going for a similar tenor as Damon's, Johnny Depp would have been an excellent choice. He proved he can do it already with What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Sinbad--Brad Pitt bit, as Sinbad. Once more, Pitt's acting is his phisicality. Take a look at him in Ocean's Eleven or Fight Club: It's all in the bod.

That Moses Ten Commandment Thing--the cast as a whole was signed up for their star-wattage: remarkably everyone starts sounding the same.

Shrek--Mike Myers as Shrek? his chords don't match the body--I love the ham-handedness of Dreamworks to cast him because they caught his Scottish act on SNL. Not terrible, but a solid B-minus. Cameron Diaz was lame as well.

Antz--Derivative characture. Woody Allen and Sly Stalone don't play the characters, they play themselves. It detracts from the narrative. Dreamworks didn't have enough love for the story to play it straight.

And you can fault Disney for much lately, but one thing they get right consistently in their features is the vocal casting. I find it usually right on. Pixar is also excellent.

FloydBishop
01-18-2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by mbaldwin

Shrek--Mike Myers as Shrek? his chords don't match the body--I love the ham-handedness of Dreamworks to cast him because they caught his Scottish act on SNL. Not terrible, but a solid B-minus.

In all fairness, Shrek's character was supposed to be voiced by another SNL guy, Chris Farley. Chris died early into the project, and then Mike Myers came on. I think Chris would have made a great Shrek, had he kept clean enough to give it his best shot. From what I've heard, his early voice record sessions for the project were not the most coherent.

mbaldwin
01-18-2004, 03:29 AM
Floyd,

Interesting tidbit. I will cut Shrek a little more slack. In fact, Lithgow as a voice choice was nice. The same goes for Eddy Murphy--though similar to sassy sidekick role in Mulan. An animation company would be hesitant to cast him again. 'Cept than again, he IS a bit of a vocal chameleon.

Speaking of once too often to the well, David Hyde Pierce was excellent in A Bug's Life and Treasure Planet. I seem to remember an early Nemo trailer that had his voice assigned to either Anchor or Chum. Any news as to why the change--anyone?

Lastly, I'm mightily looking forward to The Incredibles. Brad Bird did an amazing job with The Iron Giant. One of my animation favorites.

stallion151
01-18-2004, 09:29 AM
ray romano as manny in Ice Age....yuk.

kromekat
01-18-2004, 09:48 AM
{Though you might expect an action stud like Vin Diesel or The Rock to be voicing the herculean Mr. Incredible}

er.. no.. I wouldn't at all! - the role will also require some humour and something more than deep matcho menace.

I agree on the Nemo dad casting - not the greatest voice in the film.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.