PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 5: (chadtheartist) : (Shadow: FF3 Ninja)

chadtheartist
01-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Okay, I'm a little late joining in this foray, but here goes.

Character: Shadow

Pics:

http://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartist/.Pictures/SHADOW.gif

http://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartist/.Pictures/SHADOW.jpg

I'll update this post later today with my version of the concept design. I won't be doing the chubi character design from the game though! Although I do like how that pic above added the details to his suit. I'll have to play around with it and see how it goes.

I'm hoping to make this a portfolio piece, so I want people to kick my butt if something looks like it could be improved!

Thanks.

innervision961
01-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Cool! Sweet choice man. Good luck to you. On another note, I sorta like the cartoony chubby look :)
But I'm sure what you come up with will be cool to!

chadtheartist
01-20-2004, 12:00 PM
hehe... Chubi is a specific Japenese style for cartoon characters. I didn't misspell chubby. For instance, Zelda, from Wind Waker is a Chubi style character, which I didn't like at first, but once I got to play the game I liked it. The chubi style came from the sprite based video games like the animated gif I posted above. It's kind of funny how it developed.

Anyway, here is a concept sketch of how I will be making the Shadow. I haven't had a lot of time to work on this, but hopefully I will actually finish it, unlike most challenges I start! LOL

http://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartist/web2/concepts/shadow.jpg

Supervlieg
01-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Cool char. But somehow he needs a bit more to make him interesting. I kinda liked the drawing with the little version as it had loadsa character. But if you decide to make a realistic one, thats your own choice ofcourse.

chadtheartist
01-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Thanks supervlieg, I didn't state this before but I didn't do the drawing of the little shadow character. It was an image I found on the net, and I don't know who did it. Sorry for any confusion.

The drawing as is is kinda bland, I agree. I'll try and make it more interesting.

Jevin
02-09-2004, 07:13 AM
A) it's Chibi, not Chubi.
B) The correct phrase is "Super Deformed" Chibi is slang, because it virtually means "child"
C) The redesign is good, but lacks the true character of Shadow. The powerul eyes from behind the hood, the sun insignia on his crown and belts. You should at least have references to those.

Right now I see nothing that says "shadow"

Oh, and why would shadow use that weapon? He's a ninja, uses Tanto blades, knives, etc.

It's a great ninja design, just don't see it as shadow.

chadtheartist
02-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Hey, thanks for the help. I appreciate the character ideas, and hopefully one day I will get to this. Right now though, I don't have a lot of time to work on this, so it will probably be a long while before I get to work on this, or anything for that matter.

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.