PDA

View Full Version : Van Helsing Trailer

beaker
01-16-2004, 06:49 AM
Here is the Van Helsing trailer. Only a crappy wmv though. Hopefully a high quality quicktime will come out soon. This is going to be a pretty sweet movie. Can't wait.

Small stream: http://www.universalpictures.com/asx/vanhelsing/van_helsing_trlr1_300k_wmv.asx
Large stream: http://www.universalpictures.com/asx/vanhelsing/van_helsing_trlr1_700k_wmv.asx

FClub_TDurden
01-16-2004, 07:37 AM
Man I hope those are really early on temp shots cg wise...cuz alot look bad....specially that hyde looking dude who throws him off the roof.....

Tychoides
01-16-2004, 02:57 PM
quicktime.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/van_helsing/

Nicodemus
01-16-2004, 03:07 PM
SWEEEEETTTTTT! I love a good vampire story. Looks like it could be a decent movie.

~L~

DePingus
01-16-2004, 03:41 PM
Looks like it has the potential to be a fun movie, but the FX remind me alot of LXG. Gonna have to wait and see. Although I like Kate Beckinsale back in a Vampire type movie.

SheepFactory
01-16-2004, 04:09 PM
looks great minus the extremely crappy looking wolfman.

mattregnier
01-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Does anyone know if this is even closely related to the anime hellsing? after watching the trailer some visuals look the same, and some of the storyline sounds similiar but i'm just not for sure.

malducin
01-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Yes, some of it does look a bit rough. But considering this is Universal, and how many times they screwed up (used very rough shots and altered many of them) the trailers for the Hulk (which premiered with the Superbowl, so the timing here is almost the same), I won't worry until we are closer to the release date.

midknight3
01-16-2004, 05:54 PM
ILM visited our school yesterday and they sounded really excited about some of the fx in van helsing. Hopefully, these are really early, b/c to me they don't look like they're worth getting excited about.

beaker
01-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by FClub_TDurden
Man I hope those are really early on temp shots cg wise...cuz alot look bad....specially that hyde looking dude who throws him off the roof.....
Yea, actually some of the shots in the trailer we're working on right now. None of the cool creature shots though., those are all ILM. We haven't even delivered temps yet so I'm sure that many are temps from ILM.

BRODSKY
01-17-2004, 05:20 AM
I'm down for a cool Van Helsing movie....but this smells like LXG with all the gadgetry and what not.....a spring loaded crucifix? WTF

ACFred
01-17-2004, 05:31 AM
Man, I'm all over this one. Looks great!

Goddamn it people, quit crucifying the FX already. I do admit it would be nice if final shots were used in the trailers, but you should all know by now that it isn't the case and bitching about it is worthless.

Hyde definitely looks like he's the same character as from League. I hope so, because his makeup & fx were well done in that movie.

The gadgets in the film look really cool. I do hope it's in the LXG mold because that film had a lot going for it visually and it's a great place for van Helsing to start.

Alec

Slurry
01-17-2004, 05:34 AM
I don't get it. Why would a studio release unfinished work?
When the early Hulk trailers came out and the public cried "FOUL!", I'm sure the early negative hype hurt the movie.
All the griping about poor fx is sure to get back to the artists and make them feel crappy and in turn hurts porduction.
I just don't understand the logic. Show it when it's ready.

Can anybody play devil's advocate here?

~S

PhilOsirus
01-17-2004, 06:08 AM
Looks like fun, except the obligatory hot butt kicking chick with an exotic accent seems to be in the way, hopefully she gets kidnapped or something;) But what will they do with a sequel? All possible mythic creatures are in this one.

ACFred
01-17-2004, 06:18 AM
All possible mythic creatures are in this one? I didn't see Blacula in there anywhere, so there's hope for a sequel yet!

maggog
01-17-2004, 07:34 AM
No Art I believe you have misquoted me, I said the Hulk sucked a$$, not sucked foul.

I do agree with you though, why show a rough cut that could damage the 'buzz'....I don't know. I was excited to see this movie but now I am left with a muh feeling. I mean would a baker sell you a cake if was only half-cooked? Okay maybe he would but then would you want to buy a cake that was half-baked? I like cake as much as the next 30 year old (HAPPY BIRTHDAY TIM!) but come on, why not wait for it to be finished?

I will see this movie and I hope I will allow myself to enjoy it and not get hung up on the bad rohanimation... I mean the less than stellar animation.

Maybe the world needs more puppets.

~M~

DOOMNINJA
01-17-2004, 07:38 AM
WHERE?! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

On a side note, maybe the hype-trailer is really just a clever disguise for an advanced feedback source. The teaser is unleashed on the unsuspecting public, and any and all negative feedback is transformed into a magical to-do list for the developers. It's a conspiracy!

All this talk about cake and feedback is making me hungry.

Slurry
01-17-2004, 08:26 AM
LOL!

You guys are effed-up! Lay off the malt lickra already!
:beer:

FloydBishop
01-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Featuring the music of Van Halen

http://www.lewzworld.com/vanhalen/pics/vanh002.jpg

FloydBishop
01-17-2004, 10:05 AM
and fight scenes choreographed by Van Damme

http://pages.zdnet.com/muscfrombrussels/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/2Kasey2a.jpg.w300h389.jpg

xzevlin
01-17-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Phil "Osirus"
But what will they do with a sequel? All possible mythic creatures are in this one.

Well, it looks a helluva lot like Castlevania, and Dracula manages to drag himself out of the crypt for each new game in that series. ;)

Universal still has some other monsters to use for a sequel. The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Bride of Frankenstein, and I guess you can keep reanimating Frankenstein when he drops dead.

malducin
01-17-2004, 07:54 PM
LOL this thread is just too much.

Yea, actually some of the shots in the trailer we're working on right now.

I'm assuming matte paintings right?

I don't get it. Why would a studio release unfinished work? ... I just don't understand the logic. Show it when it's ready. Can anybody play devil's advocate here?

Sure. It's standard practice. Ever notice many trialers that use shots not in the final film? Or what about teaser that usually amount just to a couple of shots and the film title?

I would suggest reading The Monster that Ate Hollywood at the PBS website about wwhat the media conglomerates have done to the studios.

Main reason is that some of these films are such huge investments (particularly the Summer popcorn films) that studios need to start hyping and promoting them early especially with so much competition. They need to start building the marketing months in advance. heck there was even a Van Helsing poster in the Fall of last year promoting that Van Helsing was being filmed. I've seen posters like that for many other movies (at least a James Bond one something like close to a year before release).

As was demonstrated by the Hulk promotion fiascomovie studios might get a hold of temp shots, not consult with production and the VFX company to see if they have something better, and use those to build a trailer because the marketing plan has long been established (when to start showing posters, on what film from the own studio to attach thwe trailer, etc.). There are times when the studio is smart enough to ask for stuff specifically for promotion, Perfect Storm comes to mind whn the big wave shot in the poster and first trailer was specifically made by ILM at the studios request to start marketing. The actual shot in the film was redone from scratch. More oer less the same thing happened on the Twsiter and Dante's Peak teasers.

Kinda like the FedEx commercial, what would the MBAs running the studios know about filmmaking.

Universal had probably decided some time ago that the first trailer would be attached to thier own Along Came Polly, which means the trailer was assembled some time ago and shots for it were even older, maybe some used without the production's or ILM knowledge.

There is little that can be done anyway, if trailers used only polished or final shots, trailers would only come out a couple of months before a movie's release which would be a big no-no for these big films.

jwmoebius
01-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by ACFred
I didn't see Blacula in there anywhere, so there's hope for a sequel yet!
:applause:
http://www.blaxploitation.com/images/movie_gifs/movie_blacula_1.gif

Matt Leishman
01-17-2004, 11:18 PM
We're working on the ps2/xbox version of the game right now. Needless to say, we were crazy excited when the trailer came out.

It does look like the "Hyde character" and the Wolf character seem a little rough, but its all good. We've got something to look forward to right?!!!

Oh, and no, it isn't based on that anime movie "Hellsing" (at least I don't believe it is).

What was really cool was that we received a lot of animatics from ILM early on to use for reference in creating some of the cinematics, and that shot with the "Hyde character" throwing Van Helsing off the roof of that building is exactly as it is in our cut scene - wicked cool man!!!!

eliseu gouveia
01-17-2004, 11:56 PM
It definitelly has a LXG feel to it, but itīs looking promising so far.

Plus, despite being clearly a guy movie, it DOES have Hugh Jackman in it which is presently regarded by a large percentage of the female audience as teh_hot, so thereīs definitelly potential to become a bockbuster.

I see it as one of those Spider Man/Hulk type deals, it can make it or break it depending on how the studio handles it/sells it.

beaker
01-18-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by sithwarlord
Oh, and no, it isn't based on that anime movie "Hellsing" (at least I don't believe it is).
Van Helsing is a Bram Stoker character from the book Dracula. In the Francis Ford Coppola version of Dracula the character Anthony Hopkins played was Van Helsing. Most of the other older Dracula movies since the 30's have always had Helsing in it. He is always dressed similar to this movie. So Vampire Hunter D or any other anime character is taken from the original Van Helsing character in the books.

beaker
01-18-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by malducin
I'm assuming matte paintings right?
No matte painting, just some 3d, compositing, rig/wire removal, bluescreen, a bunch of different stuff.

Joe2003
01-18-2004, 02:48 AM
I don't get it. Why would a studio release unfinished work? ... I just don't understand the logic. Show it when it's ready. Can anybody play devil's advocate here?

You're joking right! You guys are supposed to be knowledgeable on effects work, and you don't know why the studio would show unfinished work?

Folks, a studio has to start marketing a film long before post-production is completed. What constitutes the bulk of post-production, especially on FX-heavy films? Why it's visual effects that comprise most of post-production work on films. If they have to put out trailers before post-production is finished, then it only makes sense that they would inevitably have to use some unfinished effects shots.

This is not a rare occurence. The vast majority of trailers first released to promote a movie have unfinished effects shots. The Hulk was filled with them. The trailers to both LOTR and Star Wars also had plenty of unfinished effects shots. So did the Matrix trailers.

As beaker said, they aren't nearly finished with the effects. So it's best to wait before passing judgement. ILM comes up with tremendous work 99% of the time. I wouldn't worry here either. Hell most of the shots look great. All of the vampire shots look fantastic, except for the one where Dracula transforms quickly into the vampire. The wolf shots look damn good except for the closeup shot, which I assume is a transformation shot. The shot of Wolfman leaping straight towards the camera looks flat out awesome. The Frankenstein's monster shots also look great, although I assume the monster is played by a huge extra in makeup. The only shot in the trailer that is really raw is the shot of Hyde! These are the folks that did the Hulk, so they'll deliver a Hyde that is fantastic. So relax. Never judge a film's effects from the first trailer released. The film is still 5 months away.

gabe28
01-18-2004, 02:55 AM
I see it as one of those Spider Man/Hulk type deals, it can make it or break it depending on how the studio handles it/sells it.

huh?! No way man. Spiderman did well because Sam Rami made a good movie. Hulk did poorly because Ang Lee made a really aweful movie. Period. The studios 'handled' or 'promoted' or 'whatever' the hell out of each of those movies but when all was said and done people spent their money on the movie that was actually enjoyable.

beaker
01-18-2004, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Joe2003
You're joking right! You guys are supposed to be knowledgeable on effects work, and you don't know why the studio would show unfinished work?
Chill dude, over half of the people on this board are students and many of professionals on this board don't work in film(video games, multimedia, broadcast, etc..). So not everyone would necessarily know how things work in that world.

Neil
01-18-2004, 04:52 AM
This looks like LXG all over again :thumbsdown:

Spankspeople
01-18-2004, 06:18 AM
Van Helsing doesn't look nearly old enough... he's supposed to be an older, more "worn in", beat up... visibly affected by time and his job. If he's at the point where he's taking on the wolfman, Frankenstein and Dracula, he's probably not going to be that young...

sevenfingers
01-18-2004, 11:21 AM
the links are down now, but if you go to the main site you can find higher quality quicktimes. I think it looks decent...

SovereignKnight
01-18-2004, 03:19 PM
I think it looks like any other Hollywood piece of crap. I seriously hope that Abbot and Costello make a cameo appearence, along with Shaggy and Scooby. I don't know how anyone can possibly take this movie seriously after seeing that trailer. Abraham Van Helsing has a very specific history, and this movie is making a complete mockery of it. Bram Stroker is probably spinning so fast in his grave right now that he'll dig himself out. I can forgive the unfinished CG for now, but this movie obviously fell apart during the development stage. The best CG in the world won't save it

I'm sorry for my negative attitude regarding this movie. It's just that I get so sick of the fact that Hollywood feels it's so necessary to change around or (in this case) completely ruin entire literary legends just to pander to the lowest common denominator. I've said this before, and it still rings true here: This movie is being made for only one reason. To take your money.

Whatever happened to art?

SK

xzevlin
01-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by SovereignKnight

I'm sorry for my negative attitude regarding this movie. It's just that I get so sick of the fact that Hollywood feels it's so necessary to change around or (in this case) completely ruin entire literary legends just to pander to the lowest common denominator. I've said this before, and it still rings true here: This movie is being made for only one reason. To take your money.

Dracula the novel has been made into probably over a hundred movies now. Most of those disregarded the plot of the book and made up their own history for the character. If you want to complain about any literary legend being ruined, feel bad for the Count himself.

If I were to complain about any upcoming Dracula themed movie, it would be Dracula 3000, where Dracula terrorizes the crew of a spaceship. It stars Coolio and Casper Van Dien as Van Helsing. I will likely see it anyway, just to see how it compares to other fine space-themed horror films, like Leprechaun in Space.

Pentagramma
01-18-2004, 08:27 PM
"Vampire Hunter D" meets LXG... what a "great" idea. :rolleyes:

Here's a sketch of the original concept, by Yoshitaka Amano:

http://www.altvampyres.net/vhd/char03.jpg

chudofsinister
01-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Whats the deal Frankenstein was the Doctor not the monster in the book and film. Hence Frankenstein's monster.

SheepFactory
01-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by xzevlin
If I were to complain about any upcoming Dracula themed movie, it would be Dracula 3000, where Dracula terrorizes the crew of a spaceship. It stars Coolio and Casper Van Dien as Van Helsing. I will likely see it anyway, just to see how it compares to other fine space-themed horror films, like Leprechaun in Space.

Please tell me that was a joke? Are they really making Dracula 3000? I saw Dracula 2000 at the theatres and its one of the things I'll regret for the rest of my life.

SovereignKnight
01-18-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by chudofsinister
Whats the deal Frankenstein was the Doctor not the monster in the book and film. Hence Frankenstein's monster.

The monsters name was Adam, if you read the original Mary Shelly version. He also wasn't a lumbering oaf with a square head. He was in fact quite intelligent; he spoke French and read Milton. Another literary figure that Hollywood completely destroyed.

Sensing a pattern here?

SK

Spankspeople
01-19-2004, 12:28 AM
Please tell me that was a joke? Are they really making Dracula 3000? I saw Dracula 2000 at the theatres and its one of the things I'll regret for the rest of my life.

That was my reaction... so I checked it out on IMDB...

It's true... so horribly horribly true.

xzevlin
01-19-2004, 04:16 AM
Dracula 3000 isn't a sequel to 2000. Dracula 2000 has its own 2 sequels, which seem to have dropped the 2000 part from their names, and Dracula has been played by 3 different actors in the series, including Rutger Hauer. No doubt that Dracula 3000 will spawn its own series. Perhaps Corey Feldman will take on the role of Dracula at some point. Maybe Pauly Shore.

Has anyone heard anything about Eternal (http://www.eternalthemovie.com/)? It's a movie about Elizabeth Bathory.

oxyg3n
01-20-2004, 03:31 AM
I saw this trailer o few days ago. Looks like a cool movie.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.